Anyone else tying it up (headscarves/ wraps) to their goal?!.....

Crissi

Ok so we have people using twists, weaves, extensions etc to protect their hair as they grow it, but is anyone else using headscarves/wraps? Personally I love headscarves/wraps and even when I have reached my goal legnth I may still wear them pretty much all the time - or at least very regularly. I think they make a very nice accessory!, not to mention protecting ones hair and so forth. Does anyone else wear headscarves/wraps, if so wear do you buy them e.g indian clothes stores, material shops, online?! (posts links). I would like to know!

Crissi, Xxx

Around the house, definitely :yep: In public, generally not unless I'm at the gym or just running errands.

I do, even to work. I always have a baggy under the scarf so I don't care what material it is. I've used everything from satin/silk scarves you'd normally wear over your shoulders or around your neck when wearing a suit/dress, to shawls you'd wrap around your shoulders that have frills, to khangas/lesos that you wrap around your waist when at home and doing chores or just when you don't feel like wearing more than a T-shirt and might not be alone at home with just hubby. I also don't follow any particular formula in doing my wraps. I can create a simple, conservative wrap:
Headwrapwithlongcloth-vi.jpg

...or get a bit "wild" and do what my friend calls a crazy froufrou wrap she hopes she won't have to be around me when I wear it. :giggle:

I particularly love wraps because I don't use moisturizer when in braids or twists so baggying 24/7 helps keep my hair nice and moist for days.

Yep, when I don't feel like dealing with it, I will put it in a wrap.

I bought a bunch of muslin fabric in different colors from Joann's so I use them a lot.

I do! I put a silk scarf under it. I purchase them from mostly fabric stores. I wear twists under the silk scarf. I like them to help with growing my hair out and because I am lazy. I also wear hats. I do not like wigs, weaves etc.

Last edited:
I do, even to work. I always have a baggy under the scarf so I don't care what material it is. I've used everything from satin/silk scarves you'd normally wear over your shoulders or around your neck when wearing a suit/dress, to shawls you'd wrap around your shoulders that have frills, to khangas/lesos that you wrap around your waist when at home and doing chores or just when you don't feel like wearing more than a T-shirt and might not be alone at home with just hubby. I also don't follow any particular formula in doing my wraps. I can create a simple, conservative wrap:

...or get a bit "wild" and do what my friend calls a crazy froufrou wrap she hopes she won't have to be around me when I wear it. :giggle:

I particularly love wraps because I don't use moisturizer when in braids or twists so baggying 24/7 helps keep my hair nice and moist for days.

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT SCARVE!!!!! I'm going to post some pics up later.....

I love headwraps! My hair always grew quite nicely when I used to wrap it up on a consistent basis. You reminded me that I need to go to the fabric store, all of my wraps are old and crummy now. Where do you all buy your wraps? Do you use silk exclusively?

Never considered wearing a scarf/wrap but your pictures have me interested now...

Beautiful!!!!

I love how Zadie Smith wraps her hair, but I can never figure out how to wrap a turban. I can only do the bun look.

Attachments

• portraits01.jpg
    portraits01.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5517468.jpg
    5517468.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
I love how Zadie Smith wraps her hair, but I can never figure out how to wrap a turban. I can only do the bun look.

I LOVE HER!!!
I wear them in my car on my commute to work. I take it off once I arrive though.
If I could figure out how to do a turban like her, I would definitely wear them on weekends.

Hey Nonie, I was just about to post a YouTube tutorial as well :)

I am loving headwraps these days! I can only do the bun ones at the moment, I need to get more cloths. I was wearing one earlier today and was really happy at how easily I managed to do it this time, compared to my pitiful attempts as seen in my album, lol

I wrap the back of my scarf in a bun too! Kohls also has some nice big ones as well. You can get them on sale sometimes at 50% off for 10 dollars. Join their mailing list and keep a look out for an extra 15%. You can use coupons with sale items. Not sure of the material but, mine is soft!!! HTH!!

well i cant wear them everyday as they are not allowed at my job but i am gonna go to tjmaxx this weekend and treat myself to some pretty scarfs to wear on the weekend.

its getting colder in NYC and im working on protecting my hair from the harsh wind and weather. for the past two days I have been wearing my pretty wrap at work and I havent heard a peep from my supervisors about it not being professional. so I know I will be ok with keeping my hair wrapped under my scarves at my main job. however at my second job, Im not able to wear my scarf :nono:. thats ok because its only for a few hours so I'll let my hair out then. by keeping my hair wrapped underneath a scarf, I really hope this will protect my ends.

Crissi!!! I haven't seen you around in a while. Your hair has grown so much.

I have learned that the only way my hair will grow in the winter is if it is wrapped. I really need fabric ideas!!! I just used a satin scarf and tie it in a bun right now

I do sometimes.
I wear wigs a lot but when I don't feel like wearing one, I'll tie a pretty satin scarf around my cornrows. I just buy the satin BSS scarves now, but might invest in some silk....like the one's that were still on sale at NY&Co when I went last week.

I wear wraps, snoods and tams most of the time. My locs can get too heavy to bun and pull on my edges so I have been wearing more snoods and tams lately.

My tams/ snoods look something like this, only longer... I had to order some off of etsy.com b/c they are hard to find.

thank you so much for mentioning etsy!!!!! I love that site so I typed in "snood" in the search box and....I think I found a winner:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeeHappyBoutique

I wear wraps, snoods and tams most of the time. My locs can get too heavy to bun and pull on my edges so I have been wearing more snoods and tams lately.

My tams/ snoods look something like this, only longer... I had to order some off of etsy.com b/c they are hard to find.

Back