Anyone else hate shea butter

Loves Harmony

Well i find out that my scalp hate shea butter. When i apply some to my hair, my scalp goes into flames. It get to itching, hair feel like hay, and my scalp feel like its on fire.

Is there another good butter that i can try?

What type/ brand of shea butter are you using?

I don't personally like shea butter- I prefer shealoe from lotioncrafters.com, but its not because of any adverse effects to my skin/ scalp. I just think shea butter is too heavy for my hair and it smells bad.

jeeeesh! ever tried another vendor... the white, shea? no palm oil? I'm thinking something is in there (additive) you're allergic too

I bought 30lbs and don't like it so much.... but i'm mixing my arse of... until I find a mixture my hair loves.... ain't throwing nuthin' away in this economy:look:

Last edited:
I tired the Beemine Bee Loved scalp and hair mixture, the kind from the bss, and one from a guy that sell some in New Orlean Farmer Market. Ive tried some from yellow to white.

Are you allergic to latex?
Because shea butter contains some, that may explain your reaction.

I did until i tried a couple homemade mixed variations of it. I searched high and low for the right one. My favorite is melted shea butter, jojoba oil (org), coconut (org. and vatika. I watched a youtuber melt her shea in a bowl of hot water and then add the shea and other oils. It gave me a creamy whipped consistency just like i've heard about and my hair LOVES it. I wish it smelled better but i've been using westndianbeauty's(sp?) method for braidout's along with brittanynic's braidout method. I get shiny moisturized bouncy hair.HTH

ETA: Oh wow, sorry op...i didn't read the post. Just the title. So i don't know about the scalp isssue, but before i mixed it shea alone made my hair dry too.

Last edited:
Shea butter is like a gift and a curse. It softens hair, most times the roots are the best place for it, but damn it can't use it on the hairline because it will upset acne. Can't really go out in the sun either after applying it because it will run, no matter how little the amount you put on there. Don't really mind the smell but it clogs up skin and makes skin worse. Shealoe is a good butter mix as well as Carrot Creme.

My scalp doesn't like any oil or butter or anything else on it. So I don't put stuff on it. Maybe you don't need a hair butter at all. There are other options - try oils or moisturizer instead and apply with a light touch.

I tried shea butter from Nasaab on my hair once a few years ago, and it did nothing at all for my hair.

I think I am too heavy handed (working on that)

I love it in my conditioners but as a sealant or moisturizer not so much (probably because of my heavy handedness)

SHEA BUTTER IS MY ALL OVER BUTTER.

I whipped some up for my hair and I have a runnier version (more oils) for my skin.

sorry to hear abt ur reaction to it OP

I hate shea butter with my heart, with my soul and with my body. Sorry shea butter, I used to love you but you betrayed me and you are so nice to the other people, what have I done to you? I put you in the fridge when you were melting, I put you outside when you were freezing, I massaged you, I put fragrance on you, I even slept with you. It's over!!!! GRRRR.

@ciccina :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Op, this sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Have you used it other places on your body and had a similar reaction? I don't have any shea butter recipes as my hair doesn't seem to care for it, but maybe you can check youtube and once you find one you like, maybe just use it on your ends and avoid your scalp?

Sorry if I'm no help, I'm just offering suggestions off the top of my head. Sorry you're having problems.

How do you ladies make the bss yellow one smell better...feels great on my skin but I've used it once...that smell..:nono: and I don't want to toss it and buy more only to realize that they are all the same nasty mess. I would appreciate any suggestions...I would love to use it for two strand twists over christmas break. I just can't seem to mask the smell...don't know how to. TIA!

OP, yea I hate the stuff, but I'm hoping it won't be a long term hate...I haven't really given it a second chance.

@ciccina :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Op, this sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Have you used it other places on your body and had a similar reaction? I don't have any shea butter recipes as my hair doesn't seem to care for it, but maybe you can check youtube and once you find one you like, maybe just use it on your ends and avoid your scalp?

Sorry if I'm no help, I'm just offering suggestions off the top of my head. Sorry you're having problems.

:grin:Thank you Sianna! Yeah, I have tried it in any shade and sauce but it definitely gives me acne, it dries out my ends and sits on them, resulting in tangles... Luckily there's coconut oil :lick:

How do you ladies make the bss yellow one smell better...feels great on my skin but I've used it once...that smell..:nono: and I don't want to toss it and buy more only to realize that they are all the same nasty mess. I would appreciate any suggestions...I would love to use it for two strand twists over christmas break. I just can't seem to mask the smell...don't know how to. TIA!

OP, yea I hate the stuff, but I'm hoping it won't be a long term hate...I haven't really given it a second chance.

Essential oils will help. Sweet orange, eucalyptus, etc.

:wave: Me, me, me! Hate it on my hair.

The verdict is still out w/r/t skin. I use the soap more than I do the actual butter on my skin...coz I honestly cannot really see the "wow" factor in using it as a moisturizer. I prefer extra virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer on my skin.

Shea butter by itself doesn't work for me. It has to be in some kind of mix, with glycerin and oils.

OT: Love your hair Ms Sianna! :)

Just putting this out there but if your hair doesn't like shea butter, you might not wanna order any butters or creams from Afroveda...they all have shea. Since my hair isn't digging the shea this time around either, I lean towards Qhemet Biologics because it is free of shea and super moisturizing. So I'd def say try the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream.

my hair doesn't like shea, or anything with shea close to the top of the ingredient list. it hardens up, i'm guessing because of the latex in it

I don't HATE shea butter, but I definitely don't see what the big deal about it is. I have chronic eczema and shea is supposed to be really good for it, but it does nothing for my skin, and possibly makes it worse.

S-Curl No Drip is way better for moisturizing hair, IMO.

My hair HATES Shea Butter. Everybody raves about it so I tried it. Its like I put a plastic mold on top of my hair. Even when I light handed. It felt like i melted a crayon on my head. Shea Butter was great for clearing up my facial blemishes though. My hair seems to love coconut oil though.

Just putting this out there but if your hair doesn't like shea butter, you might not wanna order any butters or creams from Afroveda...they all have shea. Since my hair isn't digging the shea this time around either, I lean towards Qhemet Biologics because it is free of shea and super moisturizing. So I'd def say try the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream.

I use the BRBC on my hair. Im trying out the AOHC now.

Back