Any videos showing how to moisturize a 4b TWA?

lushcoils

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any videos that SHOW someone moisturizing their 4b twa hair. (or if you could create one :grin: ). I did a search but couldn't find any.

I've been struggling with dry hair for years. I've figured maybe my technique of applying the moisturizer to my head is wrong. Especially, now that I have a TWA, it's hard to make sure that I'm moisturizing the whole strand since my hair is so short and shrinks about 80%.

Any videos?

Girl, that hair is the easiest to moisturize. Just rubbing product between hands and smoothing it over the hair.

When the hair is about 3 inches long, you can start parting a small section starting from the back, apply or scoop products on fingers ends and smooth from base to ends then comb through and move on to the rest.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble. What product are you using? What is the texture of the Oyin product you're using? Is it a cream or lotion or butter? (Sorry, I don't know any product unless it says S Curl spray on the bottle)

Girl, that hair is the easiest to moisturize. Just rubbing product between hands and smoothing it over the hair.

When the hair is about 3 inches long, you can start parting a small section starting from the back, apply or scoop products on fingers ends and smooth from base to ends then comb through and move on to the rest.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble. What product are you using? What is the texture of the Oyin product you're using? Is it a cream or lotion or butter? (Sorry, I don't know any product unless it says S Curl spray on the bottle)

The bolded is exactly how I moisturize my hair.

Also, lushcoils, are you applying your moisturizer to wet, damp or dry hair? And, what are you using to seal in that moisture?

If you are using Oyin's whipped pudding, it worked best for me when my hair was damp. I worked it into my hair the way Nonie mentioned, and then I sealed in the moisture with Castor Oil.

My hair is sometimes wet when I'm out the shower, or damp when I take my wig off.
I do what you all say. I just thought I was doing something wrong because my hair would become dry again within hours and small pieces of hair will be all over my shirt.
So I thought I was doing something wrong and moisture was not getting to all of my strands since it shrinks to my scalp.

Now, I think it's just my hair being my hair. :nono:

My hair is sometimes wet when I'm out the shower, or damp when I take my wig off.
I do what you all say. I just thought I was doing something wrong because my hair would become dry again within hours and small pieces of hair will be all over my shirt.
So I thought I was doing something wrong and moisture was not getting to all of my strands since it shrinks to my scalp.

Do you think the products you are using can be attributing to you dryness and breakage. For example, my hair will dry out and break off if I use protein. My hair just can't stand the stuff. Maybe you need a good deep condition. I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose every week and my hair loves it.

Oh, and I saw your siggy. I'm also a short haired 4b natural; I'm wearing a wig as well and I'm also thinking of doing the crown and glory method until I'm shoulder length. Great minds think alike. :)

Lol, thanks. I don't know if it's the products or not. I've been natural for years now. I've tried various products and methods, and my hair still dries within hours and breaks easily.

I actually just washed my hair and deep conditioned with Aubrey's Honey suckle Rose, with some honey and olive oil. My hair will be dry, dusty, and breaking, in.... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... :ohwell:

That's why I'm glad this time around (my 4th BC) I'm wearing wigs and eventually braids. At least I don't have to see my hair break and look dry all the time. I just hope that it will grow while it's hidden despite breaking and being dry. Goodluck with your crown and glory!

If the products you are using behave like S Curl, then they evaporate with the water that was in your hair so you need to reapply to your hair when dry. Otherwise towel dry your hair before applying. I would, especially considering that hair that is that short is so easy to towel dry well.

When I BC'd in April (2" - 2 1/2" of hair), I felt my hair was dry all the time. And I was using some good products. I decided to baggy 5 - 7 nights a week and eventually my hair stayed moisturized for 1 - 2 days.

Then I got a steamer.....Yeah Baby! I no longer baggy and now my hair is never dry.

I steam when I pre-poo, Condition, DC, henna, Apply bentonite clay/rhassoul clay. I steam for just about everything. But the most beneficial part of steaming is I would steam after I applied leave-ins/moisturizer to my hair after I twisted it or braided it. I did this for a month and now no longer have to steam after braiding/twisting.

Steaming is a miracle for my hair. 'Cause before steaming I thought I was destined to have super-dry hair for the rest of my life.

lushcoils
ETA: I moisturize my hair like Nonie and Evallusion described. Except, I don’t comb my hair. My hair is about 4" now.

Last edited:
Back