Any suggestions for curl definition on 3c/4a hair?

sunshyne_krissy

I have been searching night and day for the past week looking for product that I could use as leave-in for defining the natural curl pattern of my hair. I don't have any pics of my own hair right now but the picture below is exactly on point of my hair texture and how it would look after a braid out I thought about s-curl but it leads to too much build up. I was thinking of some of john frieda's frizz-control line, paul mitchell, redkin, or garnier curl deffinition stuff. ???:confused: I hear some of yall talk about curly pudding?? What does that do exactly and is it a leave in or rinse out? I want something light that won't weigh down my hair and that will give it defined curls. I like the first pic a lot cuz i love big hair. i want moisture like that.. The second pic is how i want my curls to look.

TightCurls.jpg

I dont want to do any chemical relaxing. IF you can, please give me some product advise!!!

Last edited:
sunshyne_krissy said:
I have been searching night and day for the past week looking for product that I could use as leave-in for defining the natural curl pattern of my hair. I don't have any pics of my own hair right now but the picture below is exactly on point of my hair texture and how it would look after a braid out

I thought about s-curl but it leads to too much build up. I was thinking of some of john frieda's frizz-control line, paul mitchell, redkin, or garnier curl deffinition stuff. ???:confused: I hear some of yall talk about curly pudding?? What does that do exactly and is it a leave in or rinse out? I want something light that won't weigh down my hair and that will give it defined curls. Something that would look like this

Mya-Photograph-C10103167.jpeg
I love the way mya wears her soft curls. but yall know this is not the same texture as mine..lol but it is just an example of how defined I want my curls to be. I dont want to do any chemical relaxing. IF you can, please give me some product advise!!!

tp.gif
I have been following curlyj's regimen for over a week now(without her knowing it,, thanks curlyj for posting your regimen)
she has beautiful natural curl definition that sent me running to the store to get the products that she listed

Basically, you use aussie 3 min cond as a leave in

Kids organics shea moisturizing hair lotion

Jamaican mango and lime no more itch gro spray instead of gel to smooth edges and I use it to remoisturize the hair before covering it at night

My natural hair(teeny weeny afro 4B) and my daughters natural hair(4a,4b and 3c all three textures are on her head) has been soft and tangle free all day every day using this regimen and our curls just pop with no buildup,crunchiness,or greasiness!!!!!! All three products are at most BSS and are three are very inexpensive

I'm glad you asked this question. I've been trying to find something to help with my curl definition and tame this frizz of mine. I've tried 'Noodle Head' by Beyond the Zone, but I'm on the fence about it.

scorpian, thanks for posting that regimen! Also, do you use the products every day to contain the curl definition?

MzTami said:
I'm glad you asked this question. I've been trying to find something to help with my curl definition and tame this frizz of mine. I've tried 'Noodle Head' by Beyond the Zone, but I'm on the fence about it.

scorpian, thanks for posting that regimen! Also, do you use the products every day to contain the curl definition?

Your welcome.I do use them everyday I either cond wash(vo5 strawberries and cream or nexxus humectress)or just rinse my hair with water and reapply all three of the products in the morning to my hair very lightly( I am trying to limit my use of shampoo)

For my daughters hair at night I either cond wash or it gets damp if she just showers without a shower cap I use the kids organics moisturizer on her hair and spray the jamaican mango and lime gro spray on the edges and section her hair into six or eight thick braids (I use the aussie leave in on her hair after cond washing or shampooing followed by the moisturizer and spray if her hair just gets damp in the shower I don't use the Aussie)then she sleeps with a satin cap

In the morning I take down her plaits(her hair is still very moist,and supple in the morn not wet) she has a pretty braidout with soft waves and curly ends(surprise surprise this was an amazing turnaround for her hair)that I usually put up into a puff or ponytails using a mist of the spray on the edges and a little more moisturizer on the ends to keep them well saturated
Prior to starting this regimen I was having a real problem with buildup from using IC gel on her edges for puffs now there is no buildup at all

Last edited:
Thank ya'll so much for your input ...That jamaican lime and mango spray...whats the name of the brand? and that kids organics shea lotion..is that by MOTIONS??? :confused:

sunshyne_krissy said:
Thank ya'll so much for your input ...That jamaican lime and mango spray...whats the name of the brand? and that kids organics shea lotion..is that by MOTIONS??? :confused:
The kids organics is made by Africa's Best
Jamaican Mango & Lime(I think that is the brand name)It's in a lime green/yellow bottle, with a cartoon picture of a Jamaican with locks.

I have texturizes 3b/3c hair and I have been searching for the right products for over a year. I have spent a small fortune on products but these are the ones I have found to work really well. I am not too particular on the shampoo and conditioners I use, but I have found that Seabastian Hi Contrast Firm Hold super Gel works great on wet hair. I had to work it into my hair really well so that my curls were more defined about 3 quater size applications. To define my curls even more I use Tigi Curls Rock amplifer just to the ends. Check out Naturallycurly.com for hints and sugestions for curly hair. I actually found a stylist on there that tought me some techniques and cut my hair so that I didn't look like Bozo the clown (I may be showing my age if you don't know who he is). Most of the time I got my hair cut I ended up with a big tringle shaped cut, but she really knew how to layer it and gave it a great shape.

Keeping your curl definition is all about experimenting. Look at your hair when it's soaking wet with conditioner in it. You can keep most of that definition (shrinkage is another story LOL!) Here is what I do, I find that it is mostly about technique, not so much the product I use.

After CW I rinse my hair my hair thoroughly. I rake a Gel curl activator through my soaking wet hair with my fingers. I like S-curl texturizer gel or World of curls. I also like Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Cream and Redken Ringlet Curl Perfector, but I am finding that gel curl activator is best. After I squeeze as much water out of my hair as I can, I mix curl activator with a little cold pressed castor oil. This oil has made a HUGE difference in the moisture level of my hair and my ability to detangle easily.

I then flip my hair upside down into a microfiber towel or tee shirt, wrap it loosely around my head, and clip it so it won't slip. I'll leave it on for 10-30 minutes, then shake and go or pull it into a ponytail or french roll.

I would recommend a heavy leave in like Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioning repair cream, or any heavy, creamy leave in for that fact. I would also use a curl activator gel like Smooth n Shine, Long Aid, Care Free Curl, etc....A lot of curlies like IC fantasia styling gel too, but it dries a bit hard for my taste, it's great for slicking, and don't mix with the Cantu, you'll get white clumps. Honey gives great definition also. Most of the products I mentioned help with frizz, definition, and a soft but firm hold.

For me to get good curl definition, I have to rake conditioner thru soaking wet hair and leave all the conditioner in. I just use my fingers to "comb" thru sections starting at the nape. I use Kenra moisturizing conditioner.

asummertyme said:
keep the suggestions coming, i need an alternative to the expensive curly pudding...

Any curl activator gel like smooth n shine (my personal fav), long aid, worlds of curls, etc will do the same thing as curly pudding, especially if you mix a little oil in.

you may also want to check out http://www.curls.biz

I use the Whipped Cream, I think you'll like it. Very moisturizing.

Also check out http://www.curljunkie.com and http://www.myhoneychild.com

Last edited:
I picked up this suggestion from someone else (don't know if she is a member here). I mix 70:30 or conditioner to lottabody setting lotion (professional strength). I use a conditioner that is also a leave in (so far, I have used elucence, EO lavender co). Apply in sections and style. Do not touch until dry. Works great!

Love, love, LOVE this thread! I'm learning to style my daughter's natural 3c hair without getting it pressed and this thread is so timely!

I edited the original post to embed the Mya pic in the thread. What made my twist out really pop was adding motions foaming wrap lotion to the mix. It gave my hair shine and a hold that wasnt too stiff. My hair is finer in the back and unravels easily, but the wrap foam helped it keep it's shape. I suppose any mousse or setting lotion will do. I mixed it in with the rest of the leave in's and stuff I normally use.

The curl activator doesn't leave the hair crunchy feeling? I've been using Mango butter and ORS on my wet hair to make the edges curl up and blend with my weave

bmoreflyygirl said:
The curl activator doesn't leave the hair crunchy feeling? I've been using Mango butter and ORS on my wet hair to make the edges curl up and blend with my weave

Nope, not at all.

ok yall i went put and brought,
Vo5 strawberrys and cream cond.
jamacian mango and lime no more itch grow spray
IC fantasia gel with sparkle lites
cantu shea butter leave in cream
smooth and shine gellation
aussie 3 min miricle
i brouught all of this and it was still way cheaper than 1 jar of curly pudding..now its time to go expierement..

bbd glass, scurl gel, fantasia IC, honey/aloe gel combo are all products that I've used to get frizzfree curl def. w/o leaving my hair hard.

I get the best definition if I use either unrefined shea butter or a cheapie conditioner as a leave-in, I don't even need to follow up w/ gel. HTH & good luck

I've tried the curly pudding and it didn't do anything but make it feel moisturized for a few hours.

After years of trial and much error I finally found my perfect curl regimen. This regimen gives me perfect ringlets every time and they are frizz free. Pics in fotki if interested.

Products used:
Denman D5 brush
Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner as a leave-in
Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Creme
Any kind of curling mousse for a little hold

After washing and conditioning I apply Elucence (really helps me comb my hair out) then brush through w/ my Denman brush (the brush really encourages the hair to curl and you can see the curls just pop), apply 2 quarter sized amount of soft curl cream, flip my head upside down and scrunch in some mousse then shake so the curls form. This is working so well.

curlilocs said:
Honey gives great definition also.

ITA, I was just gonna suggest this. Honey is awsome for curl definition! I didn't beleive it until i tried it. I do honey rinses all the time and they give me the best frizz free, shiny defined curls! Anyone that wants to try just mix a spoonfull of honey into approx. one and a half cups of water, pour through your hair as your final rinse, don't rinse out. It's so easy and has great results.

Pokahontas said:
ITA, I was just gonna suggest this. Honey is awsome for curl definition! I didn't beleive it until i tried it. I do honey rinses all the time and they give me the best frizz free, shiny defined curls! Anyone that wants to try just mix a spoonfull of honey into approx. one and a half cups of water, pour through your hair as your final rinse, don't rinse out. It's so easy and has great results.

Do bugs chase you when you have honey in your hair? I have a problem with bugs.

Back