Any naturals do Senegalese twist with kanekolan hair?

Kinkyhairlady

I want to get these done but some people are telling me that naturals can’t do the Senegalese twist with Kanekolan hair because the natural hair gets fuzzy. Is this true? I hate the Marley braid twist, too heavy.

absolutely false. all i use is kanekalon hair for senegalese twist.

exhibit a:

you just have to twist tight.

ETA: PLEASE DONT QUOTE

Last edited:
I haven't personally but I know you can. I think you can't get large twist, IDK I just haven't seen large twist on naturals.

MeeCh did you do those yourself. They are absolutely beautiful. During spring break I am doing spring twist or some other twist style.

o those aren't pics of me, but of heads i've done. and thank yall! it can be done with kanekalon, you just have to twist tight. actually, i didn't think senegalese twists were done with anything else. what other hair are yall using?

[USER=312075 said:
mech[/USER];15093991]o those aren't pics of me, but of heads i've done. and thank yallS! it can be done with kanekalon, you just have to twist tight. actually, i didn't think senegalese twists were done with anything else. what other hair are yall using?

Wow you have crazy skills. Do you have a utube channel?

I did and it looked great. I used "expressions" which is a brand from Nigeria. The hair cost a lot more ($5 per pack!)but it looked great and all my Naija/Ghanian friends said it was the best you can find in the US

Last edited:
Sure you can. I use Xpression which is also kanekalon but imo the best type of braiding hair. I have senegalese twists right now but no pics sorry.

mech nice work, you have to teach me how to twist tightly. Mine comes out good but I need to know how to tighten it to get that rope look.

I did senegalese twists all the time on myself using kanekalon, it was my transitioning style. Its wonderful for natual hair, whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Yup I do, I have some pictures of them in the everyday hair thread and in the crown and glory thread! It's definitely possible!

I have and I prefer them over the kinky marley hair. I found it to be less damaging to my ends. Senegalese twists are my go to style for the summer.

mech
Wow, those are gorgeous!! They look really good that size!

I don't do mine that small. For me, frizz is inevitabe; I'm fine haired and I spray my twists with a mostly water mix twice per day.

I like to put them into a style when they get frizzy:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

HTH! :)

i used to have the same concern and then i tried it and had no problems. the key is to make the parts small. i found that the smaller the parts, the less frizz i got. Also, i noticed that the more frequently i washed my hair in the twists, the "older" the style would look. :yep:

I only do senegalese twists with kanekalon, aren't they just kinky twists if you use the Marley hair or whatever? Anyway, I've done them 3 times now and each time gets better and better. I love them.

mech I do have one question though: How do you secure yours at the end? I love how your ends look and I always have to do stuff to mine...HELP ME PLEASE.

I only do senegalese twists with kanekalon, aren't they just kinky twists if you use the Marley hair or whatever? Anyway, I've done them 3 times now and each time gets better and better. I love them.

mech I do have one question though: How do you secure yours at the end? I love how your ends look and I always have to do stuff to mine...HELP ME PLEASE.

Yes please answer this...:yep:

before i install, i tease/stretch the hair to make sure the ends do not unravel. i twist all the way down until it narrows down to a fine tip where the ends are secure. for the final step, i dip the ends in boiling hot water to give it that clean/polished look.

itsjusthair88
Chameleonchick

nah, i'm in florida. tallahassee.

winona
sorry, no youtube:sad:

...mech I need to hit you up when I go visit my dad! He's from/lives in Tallahassee too! I remember my niece did my braid extensions and the pack of hair was like 0.80 there. I was like :shocked:. It cost like 5.99 for 2 packs in Cali!

So can senegalese twists be done using the braid first method or do you have to twist the hair all the way down?

Last edited:
...@mech I need to hit you up when I go visit my dad! He's from/lives in Tallahassee too! I remember my niece did my braid extensions and the pack of hair was like 0.80 there. I was like :shocked:. It cost like 5.99 for 2 packs in Cali!

So can senegalese twists be done using the braid first method or do you have to twist the hair all the way down?

o dang, that's expensive! idk about 80 cents but they almost always have a 3 for 5 special down here.

as far as starting off with a braid or twist, thats your choice. i used to start off with a braid but you wouldn't see it. once i learned how to start with a twist, that's when i dropped the braid method. now that im familiar with both methods, twisting is definitely easier for me and what i prefer.
aviddiva77

o dang, that's expensive! idk about 80 cents but they almost always have a 3 for 5 special down here.

as far as starting off with a braid or twist, thats your choice. i used to start off with a braid but you wouldn't see it. once i learned how to start with a twist, that's when i dropped the braid method. now that im familiar with both methods, twisting is definitely easier for me and what i prefer.
aviddiva77
mech LOL maybe it wasn't that cheap but it was cheaper than what I was used to. I almost bought some to take home with me.

Got it! I just put in kinky twists and used the braid method. I wanna try Senegalese twists but I would have to blow dry my ends straight enough so they don't puff out and I am on a no heat challenge till Dec.

mech LOL maybe it wasn't that cheap but it was cheaper than what I was used to. I almost bought some to take home with me.

Got it! I just put in kinky twists and used the braid method. I wanna try Senegalese twists but I would have to blow dry my ends straight enough so they don't puff out and I am on a no heat challenge till Dec.

You don't necessarily have to blow dry your ends
When I am doing my senegalese twists, whatever section I am doing, I first spray with some water and seal with castor oil , then I twist in the extension hair.
By doing this, the hair sets in the shape of the twist better, and, at least for me, doesn't puff up within the twist as soon as usual.

Another benefit is that you know your hair is moisturised when it's going into the twist, and that affords you a few days where you don't have to moisturise you fresh style. It also eliminates breakage when you're separating sections of hair when you're twisting.

It might work for you, I know it's counter-intuitive to put water on your hair when you are trying to avoid the shrinkage, but I reckon, by blow drying your hair first, the shrinkage will be evident, and you will see puffiness earlier. If you start with hair that's already in a 'shrunken' state, there is nowhere for it to go LOL.

Back