Any ladies on here in the military (specific the Navy)???

atl_mulattamami

In the Navy how short do they require females to keep their hair? How short will they cut it at bootcamp? If I go to a salon to get it cut to the required length will they cut it anyway at bootcamp? On the Navy website it said that you can let your hair grow a little after bootcamp but exactly how much is a "little?" And will they let me grow my hair long as long as I keep it up in a neat hairstyle? Do they stretch curly hair to cut it? If they don't then I could probably get away with my shrinkage! I'm enlisting next year and I just wanted to know!

I can't speak for the Navy, but I can tell you that as an ex-Army MP, our hair could be long, but it had to be up so that it did not touch the back of your collars--waaayyyy up.

I found medium length hair worked best. It was long enough to secure tightly, and short enough that it would dry completely even though it was up and wound around itself.

If you decide to keep it longer, you will have to get bigger headgear, like hats & Kevlar. (I'm not sure if the Navy even uses Kevlar.)

Good luck to you!

A

If you're wearing it down, your hair should be no longer than the bottom of the collar. But, you can just wear your hair pinned up very neatly. That length rule only applies if your hair is down. Some women have hair to their butts, but they put it up in a very tight, neat bun or tucked under french braid when in uniform.

If your hair is down, it can be curly, but not bulky - no more than 2" "thick." The easiest thing is just to pin it up.

HTH

locfreeme said:
If you're wearing it down, your hair should be no longer than the bottom of the collar. But, you can just wear your hair pinned up very neatly. That length rule only applies if your hair is down. Some women have hair to their butts, but they put it up in a very tight, neat bun or tucked under french braid when in uniform.

If your hair is down, it can be curly, but not bulky - no more than 2" "thick." The easiest thing is just to pin it up.

HTH

Oh I didn't know that! So do I still have to cut my hair at bootcamp and then when I'm done I can grow it back out? Or if I keep it up the whole time I don't have to cut it at all (even at bootcamp?)

I'm not Navy (I'm Marine Corps, prior service), but lifted this info from the DEP board on this web site:
Originally posted by chersolly:
Only women with long hair will need a haircut. If your hair comes close to your colar, it's getting cut. The safest bet, is to get an easy cut just below the ear. If you have long hair, seriously don't wait for them to cut it at bootcamp, do it before you leave home.
chersolly said:
Also, if your hair has been color-treated, have it dyed back to your original color. I see the recruits daily and they look very unprofessional and even comical when they have their roots growing out.
According to her profile she is prior service Navy (got out in '02), and is currently married to an RDC (Recruit Division Commander).

HTH

Last edited:
I wonder what the reason is for them to cut someone's hair, especially when it can be pinned up, neatly! :confused:

I guess it could happen, but I don't know anyone whose hair was cut. In fact, I remember one girl cut all her hair off before she came because she thought it would be cut and then she was pissed when they didn't actually cut anyone's hair.

Some people even keep their hair in cornrows going straight back into a bun. It has to be straight back, though, no patterns or special parts.

TJD3 said:
WHAT:eek: :eek: ! They cut your hair! THe Army does NOT cut our hair. Thats too much.

The Marine Corps didn't require haircuts for females either. As long as you could put it up, and it didn't interfere with training (and no visible pins), you were good to go. But not safe.:lachen: (I can laugh about it now).

chersolly said:
Also, if your hair has been color-treated, have it dyed back to your original color. I see the recruits daily and they look very unprofessional and even comical when they have their roots growing out.

Marine recruits with color-treated hair were sent to have their hair dyed to whatever color the D.I.s deemed natural. One had bleached her hair platinum prior to joining, and she became a target. They scheduled a "hair appointment" for her, and she came back to the squadbay with dark, dark hair. She said her natural color was dishwater blonde.

In the fleet, hair regs were open for interpretation by your command. Some commands were cool with braids, etc., as long as they fit within the basic regs. Others considered braids eccentric and required their removal. One Cpl went from a command that allowed braids to one that didn't, but would let her wear a wig to cover them. When it was time to reenlist, her new command ordered her to have them removed.

Last edited:
Hi! Just FYI they can NOT require you to cut your hair as long as you are within regulation. I am also prior service Marine Corps, but it falls under the department of the Navy and we have the same grooming policies. Here is a quote DIRECTLY from the navy regulation:
"b. Women. Hairstyles shall not be outrageously multicolored or faddish, to include shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline), or have designs cut or braided into the hair. Hair coloring must look natural and complement the individual. Haircuts and styles shall present a balanced appearance. Lopsided and extremely asymmetrical styles are not authorized. Ponytails, pigtails, widely spaced individual hanging locks, and braids which protrude from the head, are not authorized. Multiple braids are authorized. Braided hairstyles shall be conservative and conform to the guidelines listed herein. When a hairstyle of multiple braids is worn, braids shall be of uniform dimension, small in diameter (approx. 1/4 inch), and tightly interwoven to present a neat, professional, well groomed appearance. Foreign material (i.e., beads, decorative items) shall not be braided into the hair. Short hair may be braided in symmetrical fore and aft rows (corn rowing) which minimize scalp exposure. Corn row ends shall not protrude from the head, and shall be secured only with inconspicuous rubber bands that match the color of the hair. Appropriateness of a hairstyle shall also be judged by its appearance when headgear is worn. All headgear shall fit snugly and comfortably around the largest part of the head without distortion or excessive gaps. Hair shall not show from under the front of the brim of the combination hat, garrison, or command ball caps. Hairstyles which do not allow headgear to be worn in this manner, or which interfere with the proper wear of protective masks or equipment are prohibited. When in uniform, the hair may touch, but not fall below a horizontal line level with the lower edge of the back of the collar. With jumper uniforms, hair may extend a maximum of 1-1/2 inches below the top of the jumper collar. Long hair, including braids, which fall below the lower edge of the collar shall be neatly and inconspicuously fastened, pinned, or secured to the head. No portion of the bulk of the hair as measured from the scalp will exceed approximately 2 inches. <Figure 2-2-2> refers. A maximum of two small barrettes/combs/ clips, similar to hair color, may be used in the hair. Additional bobby pins or rubber bands matching hair color may be used to hold hair in place, if necessary. Fabric elastics and colored rubber bands/pins are not authorized. Hair ornaments shall not present a safety or FOD (Foreign Object Damage) hazard. Hair nets shall not be worn unless authorized for a specific type of duty."

Here is a link to the infomation:
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter2/CHAPTER_2.htm.

I have never posted to this website but I felt it very necessary to answer this question. I have been in the Navy for 7 years, so I feel more than qualified to give you a reasonable answer. It really depends on when you went or will go to bootcamp as to whether or not your will be cut. My hair was cut in boot camp to about ear level, very uneven and sloppy because the asian woman cut it while damp. However, I've known women with longer hair that escaped this fate because of the Navy's policy at that time. If thinking about joining the Navy you need to know that most of the hair products we use on a daily basis is not allowed ie grease and moisturizing lotions. Your recruiter can tell you whatever they please but it really depends on your divisonal RDC's personal opinions, or knowledge. I would also like to state that the Navy will require you to fall in with whatever the established standards are yes you can wear cornrows but with no fancy parting and bunned up, but you can longer wear locs or kinky twists ever. If you will not cut your locs you will be processed out. Sorry this is such a long post and I will truly love to answer to the best of my ability. Oh yeah going through bootcamp is a lot harder on your hair than being in the fleet. I just wanted to add that while some commands are way more lax in regards to the standard, just remember this a white man's Navy and it would behoove all sista to be in regulations at all times because these cracka's in here will definitely try you on a very consistent basis and if you are not on point with your ish, I can guarantee that you will lose out every time.

Last edited:
TJD3 said:
WHAT:eek: :eek: ! They cut your hair! THe Army does NOT cut our hair. Thats too much.

When I was in boot camp, a female got a gig b/c she had shaved the back of her head really short. You'd think this would be a good thing, but from the back she looked like a dude, (seriously, she was short & squat) hence the gig. They told us after not NOT to cut our hair, but b/c we were MPs, and therefore could make unifrom corrections on other soldiers, our hair was strictly monitored (no touching the top of our collar).

Another thing you want to consider: I imagine the Navy has some hand to hand combat training. Anything that sticks out of the back of your head is a HANDLE for someone to throw you around. And any military person can tell you: where the head goes the body follows. Better to have it tucked up under your hat securely rather than sticking out, in my humble opinion.

BTW: Good for you and best of luck!

Back