Any (former) long-time naturals go back to relaxing?

fivetimestwo

I tried searching but didn't really find anything :ohwell: I did the BC in September 2004 and although there were plenty of times I absolutely LOVED my hair, I haven't been feeling the love lately :nono: I have been seriously contemplating relaxing and the more time I give myself to "think", the more I really want to do it. I have tried every method imaginable to wear my hair straight without chemicals, but none of them last long enough for my liking. I workout almost everday and getting a press just ain't happening for me. Rollersets typically don't last more than a day, especially if exercise is involved. I am also tired of looking like a child (wearing puffs/ponytails all the time). My twistouts are hit or miss-sometimes they look great some times they look like crap and I can't seem to get consistent results. :drunk: Not to mention, the shrinkage will ruin any style that may have started off cute :wallbash:

However, I really don't want to regret my decision and I just wanted to know if there are any other former, long-time naturals out there who decided to relax? What made you do it? How has your hair's health been since you did it? Are you using diffrent products? Do you think what you've learned on LHCF made it easier to decide to relax?

I'm not really looking for someone to sway me in either direction (this is not one of those, "please talk me out of it" threads, lol). I just really want to make sure I'm weighing all my options before I make a decision.

I was natural for about 8 years before I started texlaxing. Now my hair still looks natural-ish, but my roller sets last and I can wash and go. My hair is healthier because I dc now. When I was a natural (before I found this board) I tried to get by with just cowashing and that wasn't nearly moisture for me.

Im thinking about it. Been contemplating it for over a year. Give yourself more than a few days. I say more than a month atleast. Im over being natural. Once I find the right relaxer and conince my mom Im doing it. Ill probably go natural again later in life but right now... *** it

Im thinking about it. Been contemplating it for over a year. Give yourself more than a few days. I say more than a month atleast. Im over being natural. Once I find the right relaxer and conince my mom Im doing it. Ill probably go natural again later in life but right now... *** it

whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?

I was natural for about 8 years before I started texlaxing. Now my hair still looks natural-ish, but my roller sets last and I can wash and go. My hair is healthier because I dc now. When I was a natural (before I found this board) I tried to get by with just cowashing and that wasn't nearly enough moisture for me.

I was natural for about 4 years until 2006. I relaxed my hair and it was a horrible mistake for me. I finally realized that my hair is quite thin, and with a relaxer it is just limp and lifeless.

I do think the person who did my hair maybe left it on too long or maybe used too strong of a formula. Maybe with a milder relaxer it would have been better. But last year I shaved it down and started over, and when I get the itch to relax, I just wait it out until I come back to my senses.

arent you transitioning anyways? i didnt know you were even natural.

I was natural for two years before relaxing again. It was a hard decision, but my life has become easier. Like you, I was tired of looking like a child and my twistouts morphed into some hideous looks for me. My hair is very, very thick and took at least four hours to do a style other than a puff. Last month, I got a phyto I relaxer, which really texlaxed, rather than relaxed. Straightening is much easier, and I can still rock a puff or pull off a wash and go. I'm happier now. Hair was starting to take over my life.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?
YEAAAAAAAAAaAA!!! OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!
arent you transitioning anyways? i didnt know you were even natural.
Ummm I have less than 1 inch of relaxed hair left in about a 3 inch by 2 inch section in my crown.... I been transitioning for over 3 years now. :grin: And to be honest I cant honestly say there are any relaxed ends left but I think it is... or its heat damaged hair... I mean its curls but not like the other hair does. Or maybe its just the ends of my hair. That section is really loose anyways. See? Too much drama to even describe it. Im so over this ish right now....:wallbash: The natural styles I like I cant do or dont look right. The ones I can do dont work for my hair or looked better when I was relaxed! HA! I actually prefer to wear my hair straight and I think I do more damage straightening it weekly than I would rollersetting relaxed hair. Unless I find a good product that makes my hair behave Im relaxing as soon as I find a relaxer that I think will work.

Last edited:

Ummm I have less than 1 inch of relaxed hair left in about a 3 inch by 2 inch section in my crown.... I been transitioning for over 3 years now. :grin: And to be honest I cant honestly say there are any relaxed ends left but I think it is... or its heat damaged hair... I mean its curls but not like the other hair does. Or maybe its just the ends of my hair. That section is really loose anyways. See? Too much drama to even describe it. Im so over this ish right now....:wallbash: The natural styles I like I cant do or dont look right. The ones I can do dont work for my hair. I actually prefer to wear my hair straight and I think I do more damage straightening it weekly than I would rollersetting relaxed hair. Unless I find a good product that makes my hair behave Im relaxing as soon as I find a relaxer that I think will work.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but have you looked into Phyto? I have lots and lots of fine strands that didn't take too well to harsh relaxers, but Phyto seems to be working.

the relaxer from 3 years ago not made anymore?
Ima need a PM... stat :look: I had p a few chat boxes last night....:lachen:

ETA if I wasnt chatting with u last night and this is some really odd coincidence :spinning: they still make affirm but now that I look back when my hair was fully processed (like I like it) it was thin.

Last edited:

Ummm I have less than 1 inch of relaxed hair left in about a 3 inch by 2 inch section in my crown.... I been transitioning for over 3 years now. :grin: And to be honest I cant honestly say there are any relaxed ends left but I think it is... or its heat damaged hair... I mean its curls but not like the other hair does. Or maybe its just the ends of my hair. That section is really loose anyways. See? Too much drama to even describe it. Im so over this ish right now....:wallbash: The natural styles I like I cant do or dont look right. The ones I can do dont work for my hair or looked better when I was relaxed! HA! I actually prefer to wear my hair straight and I think I do more damage straightening it weekly than I would rollersetting relaxed hair. Unless I find a good product that makes my hair behave Im relaxing as soon as I find a relaxer that I think will work.

are we EVER going to see it?

MEE!!!! I was natural for about 10 years and then I went back to the relaxer.

Best hair decision I ever made. Honestly. My hair is in much better condition now. I tried to texlax but after about 6 months of that, I decided to go for the full relaxer. There's tons of advice on this board...I would suggest reading about what relaxer brand to get. Also, a lot of the tips that applied to natural hair really helped me when I became relaxed (ex. learning the proper hair combing technique).

Let me know if you have any specific questions!! I'm happy to answer!

Back on topic. I was on the phone with my mom. This is what she had to say. SHe asked me why I was ignoring her I told her I was typing a response to a thread. I included her because she is doing so much better with her own hair now a days.

However, I really don't want to regret my decision and I just wanted to know if there are any other former, long-time naturals out there who decided to relax?

It was a fad for me and I prefer straight styles now. (She was in her 20's when fros were in style)

What made you do it?

Fros were out of style and I wanted to straighten my hair without sitting at the stove with a straightening comb.

How has your hair's health been since you did it?

Back and forth since it was so long ago but way better as of recently (She uses PCJ texture softener).

Are you using diffrent products?

Absolutely! And now with my daughters help my hair looks a whole lot better. The products back in the day wre geared towards jherri curls and just bad products in general. The products now a days are way better quality.

Do you think what you've learned on LHCF made it easier to decide to relax?
I benefitted from what she learned. That stretching relaxers, not combing them all the way to the ends, and protective styling. I also like the crown and glory concept. That has also helped me retain alot of hair.

I was natural for almost 5 years until this past Sunday...I had been contemplating texlaxing for the last 6 months....I used a Just For Me Texture softner and my knots and tangles ended as soon as I washed the 'laxer out. I KID YOU NOT!! If i had known this about 3 years ago, i'd would've texlxd a LONG time ago...I can't tell you how much hair I lost trying to detangle, stlye, etc...my natural hair....The Just 4 Me, actually didn't take well and it still looks like im natural...but with less time consuming more manageable hair. I know other naturals may say "they don't have a problem detangling, styling their hair".....But boy, I sure did!! (plus I lack the patience)....

Last edited:

oh ok, well i wish you luck in whatever you decide to do!

:sekret: Whispers - I contemplated texlaxing a few months ago but I changed my mind. Right now for me I still don't think the chemical is worth my natchalness in the long run.

Back