Any Blonde Ladies in here?

I have been playing with the thought of going blonde and I wanted to know if there is any ladies who have successful gone blonde and managed to keep their hair healthy and in good condition.

TIA

I have highlights. I wouldn't go all blonde because the maintenance is too high. I am on a mission to prove that relaxed AND colored hair can be long and healthy (I am shooting for MBL). :yep: There are even folx on this board who don't think it's possible. Imma prove 'em wrong. :grin:

Off my soapbox now. :look: Here are my tips:

1. Don't touch up the color every 8 weeks. Your hair WILL break. It's tough but I only touch up every 3 - 4 months. My stylist helps by leaving the front part of my hair dark. This way the roots aren't as apparent. Also, I rarely wear my hair straight so again the roots are not too obvious.
  2. Stretch your relaxers - if you relax. I went from 6 - 7 per year down to 3. My hair is thickening up and is in great condition. :yep:
  3. Keep direct heat to a minimum. Honestly, up until this year the only time I used direct heat was when I went in for touch ups, so no more than 7 times a year. I just invested in a Fhi dryer and flat iron so I will start straightening once a month, to help with my extra long stretches.
  4. Keep your hair moisturized. Frequent cowashes are WONDERFUL for this.
  5. Get your ends trimmed regularly. Colored hair gets damaged more easily and you have to be vigilant to keep splits from traveling up the shaft.
Good luck! I agree that blonde will look pretty with your complexion.

I know you may not appreciate this comment, but I am only trying to help...

Dont do it...Seriosuly :nono:

It's going to do your hair a great deal of strain

I agree that highlights are the way to go. I did it a few years back on natural hair and did not experience unusual breakage or splitting in the highlighted areas with proper moisture and care. Consult carefully with a professional colorist and don't DIY! There is a shade for everyone if you keep it sensible and leave some of your natural hue for contrast.

Not only do most Black women, even fair ones, look better with the suggestion of blond rather than solid blonde, but the decreased need for maintenance to keep it looking good will be what allows you to color minimally and keep your hair healthy. You may even want to start with subtle highlights and add more if you desire more color. Have fun!

I think that 100% Natural hair can take the bleach developer used to change dark hair blonde. I have a friend who is blonde and 100% natural and it looks fanfreaking tastic.. when straightened her hair looks so pretty and it is also so vibrant when she rocks a natural or a wet set. The crown and front is completely blonde and some little pieces in the back are dark brown.. if you can imagine that.. has a great 3d effect. I think you have make sure to pick the right color blonde for your skin tone.. nothing platinum like that.. but maybe a dirty blonde. Good luck, and if you decide to do it post pics. I think you are one of the "hair gurus" so I know that you won't have any setbacks! Natural hair can handle color so much better than chemically altered hair.

The first time i went natural , i went blonde. I mean really really blonde...some areas were even platinum! I loved it and it was a hit with everyone. I had no problems at all with the health of my hair, no breakage or nothing. I think it's because i co washed everyday and used a protein gel everyday (with no alcohol). I grew my hair to almost bsl with bleached hair, but then one day i straightened it and i got the urge to relax. That was the big no-no. Since i had heavily bleach hair the relaxer did not do any good and i ended up cutting my hair to shoulder length. This was all before i found this website. I want to bleach again, but i'm kind of liking the dark hair right now.

Some peoples hair react differently to different things. Maybe you can try it out with highlights at first.

Sorry, I'm just gonna say it - I don't think blonde will work well with your skin tone, MissNorway. If u want some color, try highlights instead.

I've had red brown with honey blond highlights. It looked nice but tore my hair up. I was relaxed then too.

I have to agree with the person who said don't touchup and don't apply color at the hairline. I did both and my color is breaking off majorly!

Maybe you could try a weave/a few tracks sewn or wig to see how you like the color before doing your own hair.

The first time i went natural , i went blonde. I mean really really blonde...some areas were even platinum! I loved it and it was a hit with everyone. I had no problems at all with the health of my hair, no breakage or nothing. I think it's because i co washed everyday and used a protein gel everyday (with no alcohol). I grew my hair to almost bsl with bleached hair, but then one day i straightened it and i got the urge to relax. That was the big no-no. Since i had heavily bleach hair the relaxer did not do any good and i ended up cutting my hair to shoulder length. This was all before i found this website. I want to bleach again, but i'm kind of liking the dark hair right now.

Some peoples hair react differently to different things. Maybe you can try it out with highlights at first.

I agree.. When i dyed my hair honey blonde, i had no breakage. Just had to moisturize more often. but then again i didnt have a relaxer so IDK...

Maybe you could try a weave/a few tracks sewn or wig to see how you like the color before doing your own hair.

THIS SOUNDS THE BEST.. my ex-best friend did this, and it was very cute. I loved it. This is the safest for you, esp if your considering coloring your already relaxed hair. She buys the weave in her natural color, and the highlight color (which is blonde), and then has her stylist mix and blend the colors to her liking. good luck

I used to have blonde highlights all the time and I miss them. I have always wanted to go blonde all over as well but have never done it. Risky on Real Chance at Love had me thinking about the blonde thing again.

Last edited:
I wore blonde & relaxed hair for more than 15 yrs. off and on with no problems, of course I am a stylist also, so I knew what to use to combat dryness, breakage, etc. As another poster stated everyone's hair responds differently to color. Actually I think you are a beautiful woman & blonde would look good on you. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start with highlights first to see how your hair reacts. Naturals usually don't have as much trouble because of the hair not being broke down from relaxer, but again I said USUALLY, so proceed with caution. Also about your skin color being close to your hair, lol thats actually WHY I liked it, it made my complexion seem to glow! I lose all my tan in the winter so I would usually go blonde then & go darker in the summer. I use to tell my clients to go to the bbs & try on wigs to see how the color they wanted would look on them HTH, good luck!!

BTW this isn't a good pic. because my hair was slicked back in a bun (protective style) :grin: but you get the idea, I tried to upload a pic. with with my hair down, but it's not working. I'll try again later
p.s. If you do lighten your hair, PLEASE do brows also:yep:

Attachments

• l_c62c94542cbddef6cdd891186abb0d61.jpg
    l_c62c94542cbddef6cdd891186abb0d61.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 57

ITA with Rain and in addition, there are so many shades of blonde, I think that it would be flattering! However, in this instance I would recommend going to a master colorist..there are some things I do leave to the "Pros" when it comes to the hair!

I wore blonde & relaxed hair for more than 15 yrs. off and on with no problems, of course I am a stylist also, so I knew what to use to combat dryness, breakage, etc. As another poster stated everyone's hair responds differently to color. Actually I think you are a beautiful woman & blonde would look good on you. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start with highlights first to see how your hair reacts. Naturals usually don't have as much trouble because of the hair not being broke down from relaxer, but again I said USUALLY, so proceed with caution. Also about your skin color being close to your hair, lol thats actually WHY I liked it, it made my complexion seem to glow! I lose all my tan in the winter so I would usually go blonde then & go darker in the summer. I use to tell my clients to go to the bbs & try on wigs to see how the color they wanted would look on them HTH, good luck!!

BTW this isn't a good pic. because my hair was slicked back in a bun (protective style) :grin: but you get the idea, I tried to upload a pic. with with my hair down, but it's not working. I'll try again later

Wowwwww you look FIERCE! Makeup is FIRE too!​

You look nice.

OT. I have been blonde over the years, but I was relaxed it does take a lot to keep it moisturized. I also think you should try a weave before you do it, because some people end up not liking it.

If not, I would try highlights first.

I had blonde highlights on my natural hair and they made my hair dry. I probably would have lost the dyed hair if I was relaxed. I doubt i'll ever dye my hair again. I just buy colored hair and add it in as needed. Why don't you try a blonde wig to see if you like it first?

I know you may not appreciate this comment, but I am only trying to help...

Dont do it...Seriosuly :nono:

It's going to do your hair a great deal of strain

Very true - the maintenance level will certainly go up, but I think if your hair is already in good condition and you stay on top of the maintenance required then it is very doable.

I cannot stress enough - GO TO A PRO! I actually went to one of those Mastercuts people and SHE caused my hair to break off by overprocessing it.:wallbash: My hair is so thick that I didn't even notice.

I then went to an Aveda stylist who said Aveda dyes are much more gentle and I haven't had breakage issues since. It's more expensive but it's worth it to get someone who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!

You may even want to start with subtle highlights and add more if you desire more color. Have fun!

This is exactly what I did. :yep:

Thank you so much ladies, I appreciate your responses, and your honesty (thank you for looking out for me).
I am not going ALL blonde at once, IF i do it, it will definitely happen gradually.
Thanks again ladies, and TRUST AND BELIEVE, I will post updates if I go ahead and do it.

Hey MN this is what I meant by contrast I just picked this baby up on sale for $10 and it's human hair...I think this combo would look hot on you.

531.jpg

02c.jpg

Hey MN this is what I meant by contrast I just picked this baby up on sale for $10 and it's human hair...I think this combo would look hot on you.

531.jpg

02c.jpg

Wooooh, Love it! That's what I'm talking about!! The hair compliments your beautiful complexion perfectly.
AND, your eyebrows are out of this world! :drool:

Back