Another Setback!!

BrownSkin2

I am natural and my hair is 4a/b with a little 3b in the nape area and sides. Well, I got my hair flat ironed by one of my friends stylist. I've seen her work and she does a good job on my friend. Well, she did my hair a week ago. She used those iron curlers and flat iron on a hot n gold plug in stove at the salon. She did not use any heat protectant. I asked her about it and her response was we don't use heat protectant or anything before ironing. That weigh the hair down and won't get it bouncy.

To make along story I just shampooed and conditioned this morning and I have straight pieces in a few places, especially at the back where the hair was softer. I can't wear a fro until these pieces curl back up. I did a protein treatment and a deep conditioner. I don't know what to do. Will my naps come back? Please help.

BrownSkin2 said:
I am natural and my hair is 4a/b with a little 3b in the nape area and sides. Well, I got my hair flat ironed by one of my friends stylist. I've seen her work and she does a good job on my friend. Well, she did my hair a week ago. She used those iron curlers and flat iron on a hot n gold plug in stove at the salon. She did not use any heat protectant. I asked her about it and her response was we don't use heat protectant or anything before ironing. That weigh the hair down and won't get it bouncy.

To make along story I just shampooed and conditioned this morning and I have straight pieces in a few places, especially at the back where the hair was softer. I can't wear a fro until these pieces curl back up. I did a protein treatment and a deep conditioner. I don't know what to do. Will my naps come back? Please help.

Sorry to say, they may not come back. While I was transitioning, I flat ironed my hair for most of the duration. The softer textured area of my hair suffered heat damage and remained straight once I completed my transition. I gradually trimmed/cut my hair until the damaged hair was finally gone. Until that time, I just had to work extra to get my hair to blend in with the rest and it did make styling more difficult.

Since experiencing this, I've only straightened my hair may a few times (mostly in my first year of being natural), with the last time over a year ago. I'm so fearful, because I do have areas of my hair that is softer in texture, that it will not withstand the heat and I'd have to repeat the grow out process.

Give it a few deep conditioning treatments and see what happens over the next couple of weeks. If it does not revert back, you may just have to grow out the damaged hair and gradually cut.

I am soo sorry to hear that!

That happened to me a couple years ago. I had my hair pressed for my birthday and when I tried to go back nappy I had some areas that stayed straight. I tried the condish thing too and it didn't work, so I ended up cutting the straight part off and been scared to press my hair since.:eek:

Last edited:
I agree w/ everything so1913 said. Some of the curl may come back over time but it may not. Keep doing deep conditioning treatments, that might help. Good luck.

Yeh, this happened to me as well and I had to cut it. I hope the best for you, but remember next time to go with your instincts. Always use heat protectant. Even with that u risk damage from high heat. Sorry it happened to you.:ohwell:

Thank you so much for your responses. I will continue doing deep conditioners hoping my curly texture comes back. I'm hopeful, but I don't believe the nape area will come back. It looks like I relaxed that area. It's disheartening.

Thanks for all of the advice. My natural curls are back after lots of deep conditioning and con washes over the last couple of weeks. I have learned a valuable lesson here. I won't be trusting anyone to straighten my hair.

sorry this happened to u

it's great that ur curls returned

I think u were one of the lucky ones, cuz I've read horror stories about curls not returning...

Back