Another salon horror story but with a happy ending!

natasha

Had to share this ladies especially for the newbies out there. today I had an appointment with my usual stylist. Unfortunately she was ill and they didn't tell me until I arrived. anyway there was a stylist there who offered to do a simple wash and set on my hair. I thought her hair looked healthy so although I was a little hesitant because of past experiences I decided what damage could she do with a simple wash and set?

Little did I know!

Okay 1st red flag - she immediately wanted to relax my hair TODAY after she felt my puffy scalp (even though I told her I was only 4 weeks post relaxer) she then went on to tell me that I should relax at least every 4 to 6 weeks and wait no longer! I told her no I didn't want a relaxer and that my stylist and I stretched my relaxer at least 8 to10 weeks!

2nd red flag - she turned me away from the mirror when she started evaluating my hair.

3rd red flag - when she started washing my hair she scratched my scalp with her nails!

4th red flag she started asking when was the last time I had a cut (not a dusting but a cut) I told her I did not want a cut now.

5th red flag I told her I just wanted her to dry my hair under a dome dryer and to bump my hair with the flat iron afterward. She wanted to BLOW DRY my hair first and then flat iron (all this of course after puting me under a dome dryer)
At this point the lesson in finding out how many red flag signs this stylist would perform was OVER and I had to walk out!!!

Oh yeah she also used a small tooth comb that she dragged though my hair 4 weeks post relaxer - not gently!!

Well I think I have minimized most of my damage- my hair feels dry because she did not use setting lotion before placing me under the dryer but I can fix that with a simple condition wash - I could totally do a better job myself at home.

I think this stylist should go down in the hall of fame for shameful stylist behaviors!!!

I'm glad I walked out but I wished I had left a little earlier!.... guess I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt!
Any other thoughts or experiences anyone wants to share.

One last thing her hair was in a weave! Thought it was just healthy hair at first... my usual stylist has long healthy hair that always looks nice and well cared for!

I am so glad that u posted this so others can be aware of the red flags!!
I haven't been to a stylist in about 2 years.. I can take better care of my own hair and safe tons of money!! ...and like u said who would have thought that a simple wash and set would lead to wreaking havoc:mad: !!

It is hard to find a good stylist that has learned what good hair care is for our hair type (wether relaxed or natural!!)..but if u have one already(which I read in your post that u have a good one) or can find one.. she should be treasured :p !

InnerSoul said:
I am so glad that u posted this so others can be aware of the red flags!!
I haven't been to a stylist in about 2 years.. I can take better care of my own hair and safe tons of money!! ...and like u said who would have thought that a simple wash and set would lead to wreaking havoc:mad: !!

It is hard to find a good stylist that has learned what good hair care is for our hair type (wether relaxed or natural!!)..but if u have one already(which I read in your post that u have a good one) or can find one.. she should be treasured :p !

AMEN to that! My usual stylist is a jewel I think she has to be a member of LHCF or something because she practices all of our practices and she is a henna advocate! Don't know what I'm going to do if I move in a few months!!

:eek: glad you got out there with your hair on your head:lol: :lol: next time you do the combing cause they love those rattail combs

Last edited:
baby42 said:
:eek: glad you got out there with your hair on your head:lol: :lol: next time you do the combing cause they love those rattail combs

ITA! But my usual stylist is always sooo gentle I never have to worry about it. This lady just did not give a darn about my hair. Well glad I didn't give her my hard earned money!!

Candy1978 said:
Good thing you walked out--I wished that I would have walked out when the girl that jacked up my hair jacked uo my hair. You can see the 3rd degree buirns for yourself on my fotki.

http://www.fotki.com/Candy78

OUch! Sorry you experienced that. I am really careful now because I went to a stylist a few months ago who butchered my hair.... I mean totally jacked it up. I am just so glad I found a stylist I can trust but I still experiment and do my own hair because you just never know.

jasmin said:
Was she wondering why you walked out?

Yeah she was wondering but I just said I would reschedule with my regular stylist next week and stayed plesant. She is a new manager and I did not want strife I just never wanted her to touch my hair again.

Anyway, there was some some conflict between her (only black stylist and the new manager) and the other stylists which probably contributed to her cavalier attitude with my hair; but whatever....didn't matter had to leave.

Hopefully, as we all continue to educate ourselves and refuse to accept substandard hair care she and other stylists will learn better hair care but in the mean time I plan to stick with my current lady!

:rosebud:

CurliDiva said:
Using a fine teeth comb was her way of proving that you NEEDED a touch up now. :mad:

You are probably right because she dragged the comb through my hair with no respect. Just pulled and jerked it through now that I think about it again it makes me mad! But when I walked out she was completely floored with mouth hanging open and all so I guess I made my point. :)

Back