Another Haitian Hair Secret...Revealed!

RabiaElaine

Hi ladies,

Please note I have not done this myself...but I thought I would share it.

I hope to get some opinions on this and see if anyone has tried this.

My friend's mother (she's hatian) told my sister yesterday that she got her hair to grow faster by mashing up birth control pills in her moisturizer and applying to her scalp. :eek: :eek:

She had a very short cut less than a year ago and her hair is past her shoulders already...so I'm wondering if she might be on to something....

I'm sure anything could work, but I wouldn't try this one.

Mashing up birth control pills would lead to the topical application of hormones to the scalp. I'm scared of chicken and beef with hormones affecting me!

RabiaElaine said:
She had a very short cut less than a year ago and her hair is past her shoulders already...so I'm wondering if she might be on to something....
That sounds like normal growth.

CurliDiva said:
Knocked up with "longer" hair -- please use your bc pills as directed! :eek:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Ha! I'm not considering doing this just wondering about it. I already take the BC patch. If I were to take that and mash up pills in moisturizer I wonder what the effect would be on my hormones??

I have never heard of this and given the fact that this pills alter your hormone, I don't know if I would put this on my scalp.

I don't think this is necessarily a "Haitian" hair secret.....I've heard of Americans doing this more. And the only reason I say that is because in Haiti, the majority of the women do not use them due to access issues and other reasons.

Most birth control pills fool your body into thinking it is pregnant, therefore the woman doesn't ovulate. And I've heard many women say that when they get pregnant their hair grows in faster and thicker. So maybe it could make your hair grow.....but I wouldn't say that for everyone because pregnancy affects folks differently.

THis is not a "Haitian" hair secret, most women practically the majority do not use birth control pills, condoms yes, BCP's only the few. It's well known that the hormones trick your body into not ovulating and Haitian women aren't playing around w/ the possibility of NOT having kids. If you told me some natural thing like oils or sea weed hair rinse yes that is one Haitian women on the Southern Coast use alot.

I've been told this before by atleast 2 people. I though it was crazy when I heard it...but then again if you would have told me to use NeoAF at that time I would have said the same thing. So whatever floats your boat, and gets you growth.:)

Lucia said:
THis is not a "Haitian" hair secret, most women practically the majority do not use birth control pills, condoms yes, BCP's only the few. It's well known that the hormones trick your body into not ovulating and Haitian women aren't playing around w/ the possibility of NOT having kids. If you told me some natural thing like oils or sea weed hair rinse yes that is one Haitian women on the Southern Coast use alot.

True...this woman has already had her kids.

I have heard this also from american women but I haven't tried it yet. The estrogen like hormones in some products is what made them work so well (BB Super Gro hair grease-old formula) but b/c of the HRT cancer scare alot of products changed their formulas eliminating the hormones.

Who ever is doing this must have a great insurance plan crushing up medication for your hair is $$$ :perplexed

PrettyHaitian said:
I have never heard of this and given the fact that this pills alter your hormone, I don't know if I would put this on my scalp.

yeah seriously what PH said...i have never ever heard of this and it doesn't sound too safe to me. I don't know about this one!

As a Haitian, I had to come out of lurking just to say that I have never heard of this from any nationality, Haitian or any other :eek: Ok, back into hiding I go. :look:

i'm haitian and i've never heard of this. i've never heard any other haitian woman mention this either. maybe i should ask around. i couldn't try this experiment even if i wanted cause i don't have any birth control pills.

didirose said:
As a Haitian, I had to come out of lurking just to say that I have never heard of this from any nationality, Haitian or any other :eek: Ok, back into hiding I go. :look:

:lol: Hi Didirose!! :wave:

Now, I have had significant problems when I've taken BCP's, mood swings, continual nauseau, cramping, headaches... I have no doubt that were I to try this (which I am not inclined to do in the least bit), it would bring on those same symptoms.

Best of luck to those who are so inclined to try it out!

nurseN98 said:
I don't think this is necessarily a "Haitian" hair secret.....I've heard of Americans doing this more. And the only reason I say that is because in Haiti, the majority of the women do not use them due to access issues and other reasons.

Most birth control pills fool your body into thinking it is pregnant, therefore the woman doesn't ovulate. And I've heard many women say that when they get pregnant their hair grows in faster and thicker. So maybe it could make your hair grow.....but I wouldn't say that for everyone because pregnancy affects folks differently.

Thank you Nurse. ITA... some Dominican women do this practice, then again, many people in many countries do this. Some people will do anything to get long hair. I never heard of a Haitian doing this (don't have access, just like Nurse said). I agree with the second paragraph also.

OT: all my Haitian sisters can PM me and pale :wave:

Thanx VW for the welcome :) This idea just made me nervous because if you can do birth control via a patch imagine a concentrated form of this in lotion:(

To all my sistas, please be careful and happy to be out of hiding :grin:

Huh, just because 1 Haitian woman does this does not make it a Haitian hair secret.

Putting hormones on my scalp. That doesn't seem safe to me. Do I want to risk brain tumor for the sake of long hair?...

:perplexed :ohwell: :cool: :confused:
I wouldn't do this. All the other crazy stuff, the MN, the sulfur, etc is fine, but when you start applying hormones to your scalp that is taking it too far. Too much estrogen can cause serious health problems--increased risk of clotting, hypertension, and some breast cancer tumors have estrogen receptors on them. BCPs are available prescription only for a reason. Longer hair is not worth paying the price of my health down the road.

Back