Am I the only one who refuses to buy...

Lovelylocs

the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line b/c of its brown, gold, and purple packaging?? This disgusted me from the moment I first saw it! We like other colors! In fact, I dont think I have bought another Pantene product since!

After getting turned on to Kerastase, Pantene and other drug store s/c are a joke to me, so I don't buy it. But, my girlfriend said that she won't buy it, because it's in a brown bottle. Like, "let's give the negroes a "colored" bottle". I don't really think it's that serious, but
ohwell.gif

I think the packaging is ugly, too. I don't want that in my bathroom!
laugh.gif
But the main reason I don't buy it because it's the same as all the other Pantene's except for a smidge of jojoba and coconut oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Lovelylocs said:
the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line b/c of its brown, gold, and purple packaging?? This disgusted me from the moment I first saw it! We like other colors! In fact, I dont think I have bought another Pantene product since!

[/ QUOTE ]
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
THANK YOU! I am SOOO with you on this! That packaging looks like some cheap generic off-brand that you would find at a DOLLAR STORE,....in the mountains of West Virginia or something! That product line could be the best thing out there and I STILL would be hesitant to try it because of that DOO-DOO BROWN and lilac MESS!!! Maybe if we all write the company and tell them how DISGUSTED we are they'll change the packaging.
grin.gif
wink.gif

My mom had a bottle of the oil moisturizer and I said the same exact thing. How ironic you posted
lachen70.gif
. Obviously this was contrived by white people. A colored bottle for the colored, and the white bottle for everyone else. It's too funny. I think maybe I sub-consiously haven't bought it for that reason when it first came out, and then noticed the coloring when my mom had some.

LOL...there was a thread like this about year ago. It took me over 6 months to finally at least try the wrap lotion. But I don't get that ugly brown bottle! If it is just a "formula" just like their other formulas, then why isn't a whitish bottle with a different color design? Hmmph.

Thankyou ladies! So I am not just being sensitive.
Bollyhair- I think that is a good idea. We should all write letters, but make sure that we tell them that we do like the product just not the packaging. Maybe even once they see how into the product we are, they will try to improve their line for our hair.

To be honest, the colors never bothered me. Now the product, on the other hand, is a different story. I don't like it at all and will NOT buy anything from this line.

Maybe when they did the market research, the majority of their testers/control group okayed the colors and they ran with it. Oh, well.

i like the colors. it makes the bottle stand out amongst all the white bottles. personally, i hate seeing red, black , and green and the continent of africa on so-called black products, especially relaxer boxes. come on now...you name a product meant to distort one of the few african features we have left "africa's pride"?
huh.gif

This thread reminds me of a skit on In Living Color (I think it was..).when Damon was saying that the green olives come in a nice glass jar while the black olives have to come in a can.

I'm with you on this one. I was like, was there no other way to make this bottle stand out but brown and purple?

On top of that, the products are crappy. The original Pantene works better, IMO.

ha ha ha I am a product snob and only like certain looking things in my shower -yes it sounds ridiculous but oh well.. Anyway I think the bottles are actually supposed to be 'bronze' and I like them.. they are much better than the other pantene packaging.

It literally took me months to buy the conditioner but Im glad I did cos although it isnt a great moisturiser it is an EXCELLANT detangler. Comb slips straight thru your hair and hardly any comes out
smile.gif

I agree with the packaging...but for me its the whole concept all together...

its like they want to jump on the hair care product bandwagon...becuz they know blk women spend millions of dollars each yr on hair care...and to be apart of the wealth they make up a supposedly " black hair care line"...so that they can earn even more money than they already do..

also its like how does pantene know whats up with blk hair since for yrs they have only catered to a white woman market...for this reason i also am not a fan of their new relaxed and natural line..its like ok lets get a blk woman in the lab and run some tests and see if we can market a new line...1-2-3...

i will never try it. only a hand full off people have said they like it. their products are full of bad inggredients. i'm sure hardly no research was put into making those products.
i can just imagine what it must have been like. the board directers and chairmen of pantene. sitting round a large desk having a meeting. then one person says. "the afro hair industry is worth so and so $$$$$$$$. we need to have a stake in that" then all the other board members nod in aggrement. then the next day the make absoloute rubbish, put it in ugly packaging. and decide to call it relaxed and natural so it has crossover appeal.

I think the thing that I find so interesting about this is that a lot of the time the products that are geared toward black consumers have this special kind of packaging. I mean if it's not bronze, purple, and gold, then its green, black, and red or some crap like that. They put a map of Africa on it or some sort of thing that is supposed to represent afrocentricism. I am not against afrocentricism, but smthg about this whole marketing ploy just doesnt sit well with me. Maybe b/c it all just looks so tacky IMO. It is like they are not only marketing it to the black community, but to the poor and tasteless communuty.

Maybe I am looking too deeply into this, but the African map and references toward Africa bother me too. It is like they expect us to be like o well they use it in Africa so it must be smthg very rare and special, a secret to growing long black hair. (and I think many people do believe this) But no one ever stops to think that black Africans and AAs are pretty much in the same boat when it comes to hair care. I dont think that they are anymore equipped than we are. (BTW, I have never been to any African country, so dont attack me. I do have Nigerian friends though and hope to be able to visit someday) I mean... I just think that this marketing ploy just shows how little people think when it comes to caring for their hair and how we as a community still have a lot to learn.

MISSY, THANK U! First off if u read n compare the back of the products, its the SAME, HAIR DAMAGING product dat was 4 white people. It still has SLS n all of dat other crazy stuff n is NOT specific 2 our hair i.e. doesnt meet our moisture needs, etc. Dis product disgusts me.

n d colors... i did think it was quite crazy dat dey changed the colors jus 4 'us' lol but its d actual product dat disgusts me

well, while we're on the subject, lets talk about the Black n' Sassy line!!! hahahaha....i nearly smacked this old white man for calling me sassy
laugh.gif
i just cant in good conscience support the line...

and i was bothered by the fact that its the only brown bottle in the pantene line and it just happens to be for negroes....its sickening...and i agree, quite ugly...
~T~

I just have a problem with the product itself. The shampoo has ALS and Petroleum...all the naturals that I know knows that those two ingredients alone are just two of the many "no-no" ingredients for natural hair. The moisturizer has mineral oil it in I believe, and the other products are similar to other items in their line. As far as the packaging...well you can't say that you can't locate it on the shelf amongst the other hundreds Pantene products.

[ QUOTE ]
Lovelylocs said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my issue when I first saw the bottle. It had all the same ingredients as the other products with some essential oils that would appeal to 'da black folk.' Someone gave me their Pantene R&N conditioner and I must say it is the best conditioner for no pooing that I have tried. Hate to admit it, but I got to give it it's props.

[ QUOTE ]
aregee said:
personally, i hate seeing red, black , and green and the continent of africa on so-called black products, especially relaxer boxes. come on now...you name a product meant to distort one of the few african features we have left "africa's pride"?
huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YAYMEN!!!

THE WAY BLACK WOMEN'S HAIR CARE PRODUCTS ARE ALWAYS IN DISMAL DARK COLORS HAS ALWAYS MADE ME SEE THAT WHITE AMERICA WILL NEVER WANT TO SEE A BLACK WOMAN WITH THE BEAUTY SHE HAS IN HER COLOR AND ALL THE REST. THEY WILL EVEN TRY TO KEEP ALL HER BEAUTY PRODUCTS AS DISMAL IN COLOR AS THEY LIKE TO THINK DISMAL OF BLACK WOMEN.

HOW SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP????????????

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
After getting turned on to Kerastase, Pantene and other drug store s/c are a joke to me, so I don't buy it. But, my girlfriend said that she won't buy it, because it's in a brown bottle. Like, "let's give the negroes a "colored" bottle". I don't really think it's that serious, but
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is'nt Kerastase great. I love this stuff, especially Noctocalm for the scalp ... and the shampoo and conditioner that goes along with it. I have a lot of their other stuff too. I went crazy with Kerastase products during my PJ relapse phase. I'm keeping Kerastase Age Recharge in my regimen though <<off topic>>.

I didn't like the Pantene though either. I tried it a little over a year ago, and wasn't terribly impressed.

I hate the color of the bottles and the shampoo inside. I returned it to the store after one dismal use.

I love that stuff, and it's my main shampoo and conditioner (I use Giovanni TTT shamp. and the Smooth as Silk conditioner once a week for clarifying). IT makes my hair ridiculously soft and manageable, and shiney without gooping on a serum afterwards (although I will for nights out).
I honestly never even thought about the color of the packaging- regardless of how the package looks (sounds like an equal rights speech- don't judge a book by it's cover
laugh.gif
), all I care about is how it works; and for me, it's great so I use it almost every day- no adverse issues with my hair for it, only good.
Oh yeah; I have been natural since '96, and it is the best stuff on my natural hair that I have used in years.

I don't think they should have chosen brown, but I think that they wanted this line to stand out and be accepted by black consumers. Really, how many black women do you know that will not put "white girl stuff" in their hair??? I also think they were thinking of our skintones...the brown is a coppery color, the gold is nice, and the purple is regal...I really doubt they were trying to offend.

Personally I use their Hydrating Curls conditioner though...I love the smell of Pantene!
smile.gif

Back