Am I failing to submit to dh with my dress sense?- Long post

For the record, I was not speaking of myself necessarily. :look: or you for that matter, it was just a general statement.

I agree, our only concern should be what is acceptable before God.

I just disagree with the idea that we should not also be concerned about our brothers or sisters for that matter. This goes so much further than attire, it is our actions as well. I have also witnessed women with a flirtatious spirit use this same reasoning. "I am just being me, I can't help it if he is attracted... only God can judge me" etc...

Are you married? I even consider how I dress when in the company of my husband's friends. How would I look going out to dinner with skin tight jeans and then blaming his friend if he is caught looking. Yeah, should be able to resist, but why even put him through that? I have a teenage son and Lord knows he is still a work in progress. So are our men supposed to come to worship and have to spend the first 45 minutes attempting to get the picture of our rear ends out of their heads, or spend that time praying and drawing closer to God? Yeah.... give the brothers a break.

I realize that I am wayyyy off the op's question, but this subject is near to my heart so thanks for indulging me.
No, I am not married. But I grew up in a church obsessed with modesty. I was even told that sometimes wearing silver or gold hair clips could catch a mans attention in church and distract him. I started really listening to the list of things that could cause a man to fall and found it to be all inclusive from the top of a womans head to the bottom of her feet. I then realized that it is impossible to try dress to avoid causing someone else to be tempted. I became free to be who I am in Christ. I do not prey on someone elses weakness, nor do I allow thier weaknesses hold me prisioner. The issue comes back to what is in their heart. Men need to take control of thier minds and hearts. If they were working on the lust they have let reign in their heart a few rear ends at church will not be problematic. I believe individuals focus on the outside because that is easier to change than doing the hard work for a change of the heart.

No, I am not married. But I grew up in a church obsessed with modesty. I was even told that sometimes wearing silver or gold hair clips could catch a mans attention in church and distract him. I started really listening to the list of things that could cause a man to fall and found it to be all inclusive from the top of a womans head to the bottom of her feet. I then realized that it is impossible to try dress to avoid causing someone else to be tempted. I became free to be who I am in Christ. I do not prey on someone elses weakness, nor do I allow thier weaknesses hold me prisioner. The issue comes back to what is in their heart. Men need to take control of thier minds and hearts. If they were working on the lust they have let reign in their heart a few rear ends at church will not be problematic. I believe individuals focus on the outside because that is easier to change than doing the hard work for a change of the heart.

Gold hair clips? Accessories?

No, I'm thinking of short skirts and low-cut blouses... but I definitely understand your point.

I agree with both Momi and dicapr. I think that we should be conscious of our behaviour to other Christians. In regards to men and also other christian woman. No matter who you are, someone in the church is looking to you as a reference for christian behaviour. I certainly believe there a few young women who look up to me in the church and the way I conduct myself is therefore important. Just as it is for the women that I look up to.

I also believe that our hearts should be pure before God and if you can safely say you wouldn't mind meeting Jesus in what you are wearing than in my opinion your conscience should be clear. I also strongly believe that we should not let others opinions hold us captive.

However there are some types of dressing as Momi mentioned, the short skirts, the excessive makeup and jewellry, cleavage popping, huge, crazy and long hair extensions all at the same time that don't make just the men stop and stare. This may be considered an area of someone's life that mimics a wordly nature and may require addressing.

But, at the end of the day, the way one conducts their christian life is between him and God. Yet it should be a life that shows the world that we are the salt of the earth (Mat 5:13-16)
and that we are transformed through the renewing of our minds. That we are able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2 New International Version)

The following are 2 scriptures that have come to my mind as I have pondered on this issue of dressing appropriately. They also relate to the one Momi mentions:

1 Corinthians 8:9-13 Amplified

9Only be careful that this power of choice (this permission and liberty to do as you please) which is yours, does not [somehow] become a hindrance (cause of stumbling) to the weak or overscrupulous [giving them an impulse to sin].

10For suppose someone sees you, a man having knowledge [of God, with an intelligent view of this subject and] reclining at table in an idol's temple, might he not be encouraged and emboldened [to violate his own conscientious scruples] if he is weak and uncertain, and eat what [to him] is for the purpose of idol worship?

11And so by your enlightenment (your knowledge of spiritual things), this weak man is ruined (is lost and perishes)--the brother for whom Christ (the Messiah) died!

12And when you sin against your brethren in this way, wounding and damaging their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

13Therefore, if [my eating a] food is a cause of my brother's falling or of hindering [his spiritual advancement], I will not eat [such] flesh forever, lest I cause my brother to be tripped up and fall and to be offended.

Romans 14: 13-18 (NIV)
13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

Last edited:
OP,

Great post ..another relevant Scripture to your original question is:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (KJV)

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Every woman knows what her assets are ....

Submission is also a reflection of our covenant with God. I am as much a representative of Christ as I am of my husband. Just thought I'd add that.

Back