ALMOST BSL IN THE BACK, FRONT STILL SL! WHAT TO DO?!!!!

lunabelle

SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!!
LADIES, I AM AT MY WITS END.I AM A 4A RELAXED AND MY HAIR HAS BEEN GROWING FAIRLY NICELY IN THE BACK. I'M ALMOST AT MY GOAL OF BSL, BUT THE FRONT WILL NOT BUDGE.:wallbash: I AM STILL JUST A LITTLE AND I DO MEAN A LITTLE PAST SL. IT CONSTANTLY BREAKS NO MATTER WHAT I DO. I TRY TO BABY THE ENDS, TAKE MY TIME WITH DETANGLING, MOISTURIZE, DEEP CONDITION, PROTECTIVE STYLE, ETC. I'VE DRASTICALLY REDUCED MY USAGE OF COMBS AND MOSTLY FINGER COMB TO HELP WITH THE BREAKAGE,BUT NOTHING IS WORKING. IN 3 MONTHS I HAVE SEEN ZERO PROGRESS IN THE FRONT WHILE THE BACK IS MOVING RIGHT ALONG. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO? :perplexed

Same here...Im bsl and in the front and front sides I'am apl........My hair in the front just grows slower....Most people natural hair grows in V, or U shape !!!! When it starts getting longer I will start evening it up.....

SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!!
LADIES, I AM AT MY WITS END.I AM A 4A RELAXED AND MY HAIR HAS BEEN GROWING FAIRLY NICELY IN THE BACK. I'M ALMOST AT MY GOAL OF BSL, BUT THE FRONT WILL NOT BUDGE.:wallbash: I AM STILL JUST A LITTLE AND I DO MEAN A LITTLE PAST SL. IT CONSTANTLY BREAKS NO MATTER WHAT I DO. I TRY TO BABY THE ENDS, TAKE MY TIME WITH DETANGLING, MOISTURIZE, DEEP CONDITION, PROTECTIVE STYLE, ETC. I'VE DRASTICALLY REDUCED MY USAGE OF COMBS AND MOSTLY FINGER COMB TO HELP WITH THE BREAKAGE,BUT NOTHING IS WORKING. IN 3 MONTHS I HAVE SEEN ZERO PROGRESS IN THE FRONT WHILE THE BACK IS MOVING RIGHT ALONG. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO? :perplexed

Rock shorter layers in the front and love the natural 'cut' your hair grows into? :look:
If it's constantly breaking - you've gotta be doing SOMETHING different with the front than the back. Is your hair a different texture? Are you using different rollers? Do you tug harder on the front than on the back? Color? Relaxer runoff?

This is me too...I think my hair grows slower in the front...there is always a difference in my new growth in the front from what it is in the back..that is so strange to me. I have wondered if it has something to do with pulling it back and bunning...I have just learned to except it and be patient cause one day my hair will be all the same length.

Yea mee too . The front of my hair is playing games. I't didn't grow at all in 4 months!!!!!:wallbash: Are you using any growth aids?

I share your frustration, my front and sides just don't grow as fast as the back and crown area :wallbash:. I'm at a loss as well.

Same here :nono: I am a little past SL in the front and 2" past APL in the back!! The crown grows at a fairly moderate rate while the sides are just crawling along :wallbash:. I know I will not have a problem of reaching BSL in the back but them darn sides will be still crawling around SL :wallbash:.

Hi Crimson.......

I have a few questions..

The ends in the front...did you do the exact same thing to the ends in the back?
How do you normally deal with your hair after washing? airdrying? etc....
Do you pre-poo?

Thanks for the quick responses ladies. I could accept the fact that my hair just grows slower in the front if it will grow at all!!!!
Marie170- I use to bun all the time too then, I realize i might be putting alot of stress on the front of my hair when i pulled it back since that is where my hair band was( eventhough i didn't wear it tight) so I stopped bunning for a while, but still breaking. I can't figure out what i'm doing differently to the front and back now.
Tanisha- no i dont' use growth aides because if my hair is breaking as fast as it's growing i dont' see the point. i want to get my breakage under control first.
nappywomyn- I've had layers for as long as I can remember but Im ready for my front to be the same length as the back now:look:

It's funny my hair in the front gets a lot more kinkier and wavier closer to relaxer time and the back never gets as kinky but with more soft waves, so I definitely may have two different textures. :rolleyes:

This is so frustrating!!!!:wallbash:

I dont think its slower growth. its just that the front of your hair takes a longer time to reach bsl because of its positioning. before i cut the back was near bsl and my front was SL near front apl the length of the hair upfront was WAY longer in strand length than my longest layer but because its higher up on the head. it looked shorter.. your hair looks gorgeous anyway!:yep:

I dont think its slower growth. its just that the front of your hair takes a longer time to reach bsl because of its positioning. before i cut the back was near bsl and my front was SL near front apl the length of the hair upfront was WAY longer in strand length than my longest layer but because its higher up on the head. it looked shorter.. your hair looks gorgeous anyway!:yep:

This is a good point.

Hi Crimson.......

I have a few questions..

The ends in the front...did you do the exact same thing to the ends in the back?
How do you normally deal with your hair after washing? airdrying? etc....
Do you pre-poo?

Yep , the exact same thing. Actually I may neglect the back at little because my arms are short and i can't reach the ends as good. After I wash i usually condition, rinse, then deep condition for about 20 minutesw/heat, rinse, apply a leave-in(usually fermodyl 619 or fructis long and strong) then depending on what style i'm feeling like i'll either rollerset or airdry 85% of my hair then blowdry the rest( rarely). I use to airdry 100% and put it in a bun but i thought maybe bunning was the culprit so i stopped. And no I don't pre-poo anymore, I wasn't sure if it was really benefiting my hair or just a waste of time.

i share your frustration,but as someone explained to me...be patient and eventually the front will catch-up to the back...with all things in order,by then you will be WL:rolleyes::look:

Your front may just appear to be shorter because the distance from that point on your scalp to APL is longer. For example...lets say that its 16inches from the front of your head to armpit length, and 14inches from your crown, and 12inches from your nape. It may seem like your crown and your nape are growing faster....but in actuality its growing at the same speed just requires more length to actually get there. I believe this is what accounts for the "v" or the "u" not necessarily faster or slower growth.

Have you measured the length of your hair if placed at a ninety degree angle from your scalp. You may be surprised to find that its the same length.

If this is not the case, then I dont know :ohwell: But thats my hypothesis.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies, you all bring up very valid points. I guess I should just be grateful for the growth in the back. I do want to stop the breakage though. I guess it'll just take time....:rolleyes:

my hair is the same way but my problem is caused by the ponytail (eventhough I no longer where it tight).:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Your front may just appear to be shorter because the distance from that point on your scalp to APL is longer. For example...lets say that its 16inches from the front of your head to armpit length, and 14inches from your crown, and 12inches from your nape. It may seem like your crown and your nape are growing faster....but in actuality its growing at the same speed just requires more length to actually get there. I believe this is what accounts for the "v" or the "u" not necessarily faster or slower growth.

Have you measured the length of your hair if placed at a ninety degree angle from your scalp. You may be surprised to find that its the same length.

If this is not the case, then I dont know :ohwell: But thats my hypothesis.

BINGO!

I used to think I had this same problem. My hair seemed to grow in a V and I guess for all practical purposes, it does, but my hair IS the same length for the most part...but like the above poster said, a 16" strand starting in your crown will not hang as long as a 16" strand hanging at your nape.

If growth is truly the issue, then you may want to consider internal ways to speed growth. If breakage is the issue, then you may want to consider stepping up the protein a bit to see if that slows it. It may just be an issue of product choice.

ok here are my suggestions since your front grows slower maybe you should give your front extra TLC

relax the front of your hair every other relaxer or relax that part last and leave the relaxer on for a very short time less that you leave it on the back. Start giving the front more moisture. Try taking a mulit-vitamin and maybe something like MSM heard that is was excellent for growth, I am going to start taking it myself and then to help with the shedding always always here raves about the Alter EGo garlic (stuff) but treat the front of your hair differently from the back cause it needs more care to catch up and if you don't already use it Coconut oil does help with growth and it doesnt cause shedding.

sorry you are going through this but your hair looks great!!

I understand because my hair grows fastest in the crown and in the back. It grows at a snails pace on the sides. So when people see me from the front they don't think my hair is long. I don't try to change the nature of my hair growth on my head.. I just deal with it. :yawn:

I understand because my hair grows fastest in the crown and in the back. It grows at a snails pace on the sides. So when people see me from the front they don't think my hair is long. I don't try to change the nature of my hair growth on my head.. I just deal with it. :yawn:

I'm with anky. :yep:

Same here...Im bsl and in the front and front sides I'am apl........My hair in the front just grows slower....Most people natural hair grows in V, or U shape !!!! When it starts getting longer I will start evening it up.....

I'm starting to notice that as well. My hair it getting longer and appears to be growing in a V shape.

My hair grows like that too. It hasn't grown much in the front in 13 months but a lot more in the back.

Your hair is beautiful though - luckily the back is longer so it gives the illusion that your whole head is the same length as the back.

Thanks for the quick responses ladies. I could accept the fact that my hair just grows slower in the front if it will grow at all!!!!
Marie170- I use to bun all the time too then, I realize i might be putting alot of stress on the front of my hair when i pulled it back since that is where my hair band was( eventhough i didn't wear it tight) so I stopped bunning for a while, but still breaking. I can't figure out what i'm doing differently to the front and back now.
Tanisha- no i dont' use growth aides because if my hair is breaking as fast as it's growing i dont' see the point. i want to get my breakage under control first.
nappywomyn- I've had layers for as long as I can remember but Im ready for my front to be the same length as the back now:look:

It's funny my hair in the front gets a lot more kinkier and wavier closer to relaxer time and the back never gets as kinky but with more soft waves, so I definitely may have two different textures. :rolleyes:

This is so frustrating!!!!:wallbash:

I'm agreeing with the other ladies that your hair may be growing at the same rate but because in the back of your head, your hair goes down to your neck and in teh front it stops at you ear, its not proportional and therefore seems like the back is growing longer quicker. Why don't you take a strand from the front and one from the back near you nape and compare them and see how much of a difference it is.

I can show you progress pics from a year ago to now and you willsee that the front of myhair grew maybe 1 inch. I don't think it is breaking off it just doesnt seem to grow. I haven't even reached shoulder length in the front whil the back is between sl and apl :perplexed

I am in the same boat. My front is a different texture than the back and the back definately has more hang time. I think mine is due to breakage though.

This is a good point.

What helps is to measure strands in different sections of the head. Often, they can be close to the same length. Just remember, the top of the crown strands, have to wrap around the rounded shaped of your head, whereas the nape hair or back of the crown hair near the bottom can fall straight down. The hair falling straight will always look longer than the hair going over or around the ball shape of the head, unless those hairs are longer than the back hair. Does this help? bonjour

Back