All my naturals Down South, how do you wear your hair to deal w/the heat?

Ms Lala

Hey Ladies!!!

I am a nappy and my hubby and I are relocating to Dallas, Texas. I was down there last summer and my hair was a hot frizzy mess. My twists didn't hold a curl and my twist out just didn't look right. I don't want to have to wear braids all of the time. How do you natural ladies in the south wear your hair? How do you deal w/the humidity? Can you ever wear it straightened out?

I don't want to have to texturize my hair but I"ve really been thinking about it!

I don't straighten my hair, and I rarely wear twist-outs and my hair LOVES the humidity. A good humectant to take advantage of all the free moisture in the air, and I'm good. I wear the occasional puff, and a lot of two strand twists, and I plan on experimenting with buns this summer since my hair is getting longer...

I wear wet donut buns and puffs. I use glycerin and castor oil which are natural humectants. My hair loves the humidity, I think it makes it grow. Who knows. I'm about to get some corn rows tonight which will make my head a whole lot cooler!

I live in Alabama and I have lived in Florida where the humidity was terrible, in the summer when my hair was shorter, I'd wear fingercurls and use a gel that had a lot of hold, like fantasia IC gel. Now I'm wearing smaller twists which I did with aloe vera gel and they seem to be holding up well and it's almost 90 degrees here lately.

I don't straighten my hair, and I rarely wear twist-outs and my hair LOVES the humidity. A good humectant to take advantage of all the free moisture in the air, and I'm good. I wear the occasional puff, and a lot of two strand twists, and I plan on experimenting with buns this summer since my hair is getting longer...

THanks for the tips. I like twists but how do you keep them from shrinking up. My twists are usually APL but when I went down south they shrunk up to above my shoulders!!!! Shorter hair is just not a good look on my and they were frizzy.

I wear wet donut buns and puffs. I use glycerin and castor oil which are natural humectants. My hair loves the humidity, I think it makes it grow. Who knows. I'm about to get some corn rows tonight which will make my head a whole lot cooler!

I definitely will be wearing puffs! Thanks for the suggestions natural girl. How do you keep your hair slicked down? I noticed that in the humidity the front of my hair frizzed up.

I just deal w/it...but you might want to look at the Sabino Moisture Block product thread for some help....otherwise, trying to keep your hair straight (in the summer months) can do more harm than good.

I love my frizz....:lachen:

Welcome to the Lone Star State..

I live in Alabama and I have lived in Florida where the humidity was terrible, in the summer when my hair was shorter, I'd wear fingercurls and use a gel that had a lot of hold, like fantasia IC gel. Now I'm wearing smaller twists which I did with aloe vera gel and they seem to be holding up well and it's almost 90 degrees here lately.

WOW you and your daughter have beautiful hair. How did you acheive that ponytail in your avatar?

THanks for the tips. I like twists but how do you keep them from shrinking up. My twists are usually APL but when I went down south they shrunk up to above my shoulders!!!! Shorter hair is just not a good look on my and they were frizzy.

Ahh - I don't? :lol: My hair is MUCH shorter than yours, so I wear them up most of the time - or, if I do want to wear them down, I have to dry them 'stretched', somehow - they'll still shrink up some, but not as much.

I just deal w/it...but you might want to look at the Sabino Moisture Block product thread for some help....otherwise, trying to keep your hair straight (in the summer months) can do more harm than good.

I love my frizz....:lachen:

Welcome to the Lone Star State..

I RARELY wear my hair straight. Maybe twice a year. I can't stand how my hair looks when it's frizzy though. I may have to try the sabino though. I'm looking forward to moving.

Ahhh yeah, if you hate frizz, you might have some issues. The Sabino stuff looks interesting - I like Oyin's burnt Sugar Pomade - it's good to hold down the frizz.....

Ahh - I don't? :lol: My hair is MUCH shorter than yours, so I wear them up most of the time - or, if I do want to wear them down, I have to dry them 'stretched', somehow - they'll still shrink up some, but not as much.

I may have to wear them up more often. That shrinkage wasn't a cute look.

Humid Houston, Texas here! :grinwink:

I wear twists and twistouts. No problems with frizz.

i will attempt a straight look soon. The last time I tried, it lasted less than a day.

Ahhh yeah, if you hate frizz, you might have some issues. The Sabino stuff looks interesting - I like Oyin's burnt Sugar Pomade - it's good to hold down the frizz.....

I just feel unkept when I have fuzzy looking hair and I get the urge to redo it and that just takes to long when wearing twists.

i will attempt a straight look soon. The last time I tried, it lasted less than a day.

See apparently I missed something in georgraphy class. I thought Texas heat was considered dry heat. :rolleyes:

I wear it up mostly, either in a bun or french roll, if not that it’s twisted up (2 strand twists), sometimes I wear a wash 'n go just to change things up a bit or a braidout or twistout, but I don’t bother with straightening my hair when it’s hot out, I hardly use heat as it is.

WOW you and your daughter have beautiful hair. How did you acheive that ponytail in your avatar?

Thank you! It's a side ponytail. I used Long Aid Curl Activator gel after I cowashed and detangled, it's a moisturizing gel. Brushed my hair to the side with a denman brush, then I used Fantasia IC gel to smooth down my edges. I used an Ouchless Band to secure it.

NO Frizz!!! I am going to check out your fotki ASAP. I will pm you if that's okay w/questions.

See apparently I missed something in georgraphy class. I thought Texas heat was considered dry heat. :rolleyes:

I don't know what it is but when I was in California the heat was what I would consider dry. I had wonderful hair days out there. I could rock my hair in alot of different ways, I had less shrinkage and no frizz. Now when I was in Texas, oh my, nothing was working. So I don't know what the difference was but I just know the heat was different!!!

Thank you! It's a side ponytail. I used Long Aid Curl Activator gel after I cowashed and detangled, it's a moisturizing gel. Brushed my hair to the side with a denman brush, then I used Fantasia IC gel to smooth down my edges. I used an Ouchless Band to secure it.

THanks for the tips. I love Fantasia IC gels. I will try the curl activator gel and see if that helps my curl definition.

Is Nashville a humid heat or a dry heat? I'll be moving there and I'm wonder if I should get a steamer or not...

Lys

Heat in TN is HUMID, sorry! Southern humidity is a beast.

I live in an area where the humidity can damn near smother you. During summer, I have two choices...wear my hair up (buns, updos, twists) or use some gel when I wear it out...end of story.

If I want to wear twists, I rinse, add coconut oil and allow it to air dry in braids until it's more dry than damp, but still a little damp. Then I brush out the sections and start twisting with a little Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream. My twists don't shrink, but about day 3 or 4, they may start looking a little fuzzy in the front. I can't keep twists for more than a week before I take them down, unless I'm willing to rebraid the front or wear headbands.

Good luck with whatever you do and welcome to the south!

Currently, I am wearing a silk bonnet/scarf combo to protect my natural tresses from the blazing heat. I noticed that last summer I went without any covering whatsoever and my tresses suffered because it tremendously.

Heat in TN is HUMID, sorry! Southern humidity is a beast.

I live in an area where the humidity can damn near smother you. During summer, I have two choices...wear my hair up (buns, updos, twists) or use some gel when I wear it out...end of story.

If I want to wear twists, I rinse, add coconut oil and allow it to air dry in braids until it's more dry than damp, but still a little damp. Then I brush out the sections and start twisting with a little Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream. My twists don't shrink, but about day 3 or 4, they may start looking a little fuzzy in the front. I can't keep twists for more than a week before I take them down, unless I'm willing to rebraid the front or wear headbands.

Good luck with whatever you do and welcome to the south!

Currently, I am wearing a silk bonnet/scarf combo to protect my natural tresses from the blazing heat. I noticed that last summer I went without any covering whatsoever and my tresses suffered because it tremendously.

thanks ladies!
My hair like the humid heat. It thrives in the hot Caribbean. Maybe I can hold off on the steamer until Christmas....

Lys

Back