****Airdrying your hair loose Bad??

Traycee

I always air dry my hair is braids, twist, or bun.....I remember reading somewhere that it isn't good to airdry hair loose.....Why is this?????

Today I washed my hair and just as I was getting out the shower a friend called and I had to leave.....I put some leave-in and coconut oil...Threw on a headband and bounced....When my hair dried it almost dried straight ...I loved it .....and would like to do it more often but worried it may be damaging

Is it damaging????

When I airdry 99% of the time I do it loose. It takes a lot less time but I've never notice any damage at all. If you moisturize well it should be no problem.

I've never tried it but it isn't damaging with your leave-in and oil to seal in the moisture. There is an older thread here about doing this and the trick was not to touch the hair while it is air drying.

I airdry loose as well. I find that sometimes if I braid it too tightly, and try to airdry in a braid when it's soaking wet, I get that old water smell - yuck! I'm really cautious though, so I try to airdry when I don't have a lot to do. Since hair can stretch when wet, I try to sit some place quiet(watch t.v., read, etc.) and wait until it's dry,( I don't want to risk it rubbing too much on my shirt or risk leaning back on it which can pull and stretch it) then put it up. But I've done the wash and go thing too, and my hair was just fine.

It doesn't have any negative effects on my hair. Sometimes I do the same thing you did, put on a scarf and some big earrings and wear it as a style.

I airdry loose all the time, both under the hooded dryer on low or without it. I do my leave-in and seal with oil as usual. My newest addiction is Chi Silk Infusion, which I use as a finishing touch and my hair ALWAYS comes out great. Often I like to flat-iron after air drying, again on a low heat setting.

And I ALWAYS loosen my hair a little bit as it dries, I call it lightly separating the hair, with my fingers. This way nothing gets "stuck" together and each strands dries loose. I NEVER have any problems with breakage when I do this, and it always comes out super soft and great which is why it always has me wondering how on earth some are experiencing dry breaking hair when they air dry.

why can't I do that?? :( I tried one time and my hair ended up looking all weird and fussy, it started to shrink and then it didnt look good at all :nono:

I wouldn't airdry my hair while it is loose because I have some serious shrinkage, and my hair would be very tangled after it dried.

any type of airdrying is bad for my hair, the only thing that doesn't mess up my hair are rollersetting or blowing my hair out on cool after its 70% aidried.

I've air dried my hair loose before. I don't consider it bad for the hair. The only thing I don't like is it makes my hair bigger.

When I air dried loose I saw no problems, natural or relaxed. Maybe gymfreak will have some scientific reasons for us......*waiting*

Back