Air Drying

Ponytail Rollersets! I used to do these all the time once I hit 12 weeks post.

Here's my fotki album: Ponytail Rollerset

Since I don't know if I'll keep fotki for much longer, here are the pics:

IMG01787-vi.jpg

IMG01786-vi.jpg

Airdried for 30 minutes, then hood dryer for 45 minutes because I had to go to bed:

IMG01788-vi.jpg

IMG01791-vi.jpg

Slept in 2 bantu knots
IMG01795-vi.jpg

Next day - going to work hair:

SiggyJan2012-vi.jpg

Hi, @jennifer30. Great question. I was challenged by this same issue!

All the answers above are great.

But I had a thought/question:

Is there a way that you want your hair to look like upon drying? For example, are you going for the look of a wash-and-go but just want one that is not as shrunken and that is not tangled? If so, then you won't want to stretch your hair so much that you loose the curl pattern. Some of the methods above may stretch away your curl patter. If you're not concerned about that, then roller set, etc. away! :smile:

Anyhoo, I thought some pictures might enhance this thread. :smile: Below are the prevent-my-air-drying-wash-and-go-from-shrinking-and-tangling strategies with which I'm currently having success.

Way #1: Banding into 4 chunky banded sections
Wash hair, add styler and so forth, and then allow the wash-and-go to dry for however much time I have before bed. Then, just before bed, put the hair in 4 pony tails using a nondamaging hair band. Then BAND the length of the hair loosely (to avoid disturbing the curl pattern), using elastic ribbon (from Hobby Lobby or whatever fabric store).

This process is very fast. I leave enough of my ends out so that the curl pattern on the ends is not disturbed, but not enough of the ends out that they are able to tangle. I don a satin or silk bonnet or beanie and head to bed. In the morning, I unband, remove the bands that are creating the ponytail, and gently separate the banded section until it looks like a stretched wash-and-go.

(photo enlarges upon click)

WP_20170429_027.jpg

Way #2 (even faster): Create 4 ponytails. Then put one band around just the ENDS of each ponytail, to prevent tangling overnight. The pictures below only show two of the ponytails. Bands need to be added to the bottom of each of those ponytails. Otherwise, the free hair will just tangle.

In the morning, I remove all bands and gently pull the hair apart and use an Afro pick to shape everything (i.e., remove appearance of parts, etc.).

(photos enlarge upon click)

WP_20170521_008.jpg WP_20170521_003 1.jpg

Way #3: African threading
YouTube has several great tutorials. There is a learning curve. The process takes awhile even once the process has been mastered. You can leave gaps as you band, so that hair is exposed, or you can band such that there are no gaps. The latter method increases the time banding takes, and results in hair that looks like it's been blown out. My African threads below did not produce a blown-out look: That's because I have gaps along each banded piece of hair. But my hair was SUPER DUPER stretched and was virtually tangle-free.

(photo enlarges upon click)

2017January06FirstDIYAfricanThreadingPic1priv.png

Way #4: Do a flexirod set on wet hair with rolling that is purposely "loose," (if you just want to allow your hair to dry but don't need smooth curls)

The rolling below resulted in curls that were kind of smooth, but not fully. In the future, when I simply want a look kind of like a stretched wash-and-go, I will roll the hair even more loosely, and perhaps secure the ends with a stretchy hair band. This is for when I simply want to prevent tangling while wearing my hair's texture, or something close to it.

WP_20170410_030.jpg

Back