Air Drying 4b/c relaxed hair???

What Do You Do When You Notice Breakage?

• protein treatment

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • heat fast (stop using heat products for amt of time)

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • deep condition

Votes: 64 36.2%
  • other

Votes: 13 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eurka007

My hair has been breaking and shedding, and I wouldn't be worried but when I first started healthy hair practices a little protein would stop this from happening... now I use the strongest treatments and the little pieces of hair are still in the sink? I'm about 98% sure I have discovered the culprit:
blow drying/straightening

I want to know these things:

1) how do you dry your hair without heat?

2) Is it possible to wear your hair straight or down afterward (without using straightening iron)

3) what do you do when your hair is breaking...

I just really want to wear my hair straight, and I wrap it at night after I wash it and straighten it with my straightener, but I want to get from wet to straight without heat..

I'm really bad at roller sets, but I'm starting to think I have to just learn how to do it...

thanks in advance!!! :)

I had to learn how to roller set and air dry. My hair has improved dramatically since I've removed heat completely. Maybe you could start out with the ponytail roller set then when you're comfortable enough gradually try traditional roller sets.

To maintain the body, straight length and curled edges I put my hair in a loose, super high ponytail with a very soft scrunchi at night and wrap a satin scarf around the front back and sides of my head (like a giant bandage) leaving the ponytail out because I use a satin pillowcase as well. I've had practically no breakage since I started doing this. I am still shedding, but I think it may be normal.

Also, you may want to test your protein/moisture balance. It's easy to accidentally overdose on special treatments and cause more damage because you've upset the balance. Wear a protective style (bun) every now and then too. HTH

Oh, and don't pull hair too hard trying to get your roots super straight when roller setting, it'll cause more damage.

Last edited:
I think rollersetting is probably my best option..I'm going to look up this "pony-tail" set thing, thank you very much!

Yes, rollersetting is the best! I learned how to rollerset using Macherie's method.

I also use a lot of protective styles.

Do you use a lye or no lye relaxer?

I'm not relaxed but transitioning and I airdry with my hair in ponytails all over - about 12 or more. Then I flat iron afterwards most of the time. I learned that I can only either blowdry or flat iron but never both.

One thing I want to bring your attention to is the temperature of your flat iron. I had been using it on 320 and this weekend I set it to 280 and got comparable results. The higher temperature isn't necessary. I trimmed my hair for a fresh start and I'm hoping to see a reduction in breakage. If I do, it's definitely because the temp was too high. I use a Sedu.

I'm not relaxed but transitioning and I airdry with my hair in ponytails all over - about 12 or more. Then I flat iron afterwards most of the time. I learned that I can only either blowdry or flat iron but never both.

One thing I want to bring your attention to is the temperature of your flat iron. I had been using it on 320 and this weekend I set it to 280 and got comparable results. The higher temperature isn't necessary. I trimmed my hair for a fresh start and I'm hoping to see a reduction in breakage. If I do, it's definitely because the temp was too high. I use a Sedu.

I was going to suggest this. Air dry then flat iron if you're bad at rollersets. I know if I tried to blow dry AND flat iron there would be lots of breakage. I haven't used a blow dryer since April 2008 and my hair has definitely benefitted from this.

I always direct people to Sunshyne's air dry method video. That is how I air dry and my hair is very soft afterwards. Just go to youtube.com/hairliciousinc and you should see her air drying vid.

I never use direct heat. I also can't rollerset to save my life! I always airdry using the scarf method with my hair hanging down in the back.

The key for me is to comb through the back of my hair every 30 minutes or so while my hair is airdrying. This removes tangles that may have formed and helps it dry straighter. I usually wash at night, so if I want to wear a straight style the next day, I just put moisturizer and a touch of EVOO on the ends and wrap overnight.

I do a light protein treatment weekly, so I haven't noticed any breakage in a while. When I did, I would just protective style for 5 days straight and that took care of it.

Last edited:
I always direct people to Sunshyne's air dry method video. That is how I air dry and my hair is very soft afterwards. Just go to youtube.com/hairliciousinc and you should see her air drying vid.

I've seen Sunshyne's video too. I think I may do that in the summertime. There's no way roller sets are going to last in the hot humid Chicago summer. btw, that siggy is too cute. I always giggle when I see it.

Thank you OP for this thread.......

I'm actually using the Sunshyne method right now because of this thread. I always use the scarf method but the back is still pretty puffy which is fine since I normally bun when I airdy using this method. I'm going to bun tomorrow, but I wanted to try out the Sunshyne method and it works wonderfully!!!!

I'm a bit ashamed as I've been subscribed to her youtube channel for atleast a year, but I've never gone back afer subscribing.

I never use direct heat. I also can't rollerset to save my life! I always airdry using the scarf method with my hair hanging down in the back.

The key for me is to comb through the back of my hair every 30 minutes or so while my hair is airdrying. This removes tangles that may have formed and helps it dry straighter. I usually wash at night, so if I want to wear a straight style the next day, I just put moisturizer and a touch of EVOO on the ends and wrap overnight.

I do a light protein treatment weekly, so I haven't noticed any breakage in a while. When I did, I would just protective style for 5 days straight and that took care of it.

I discovered this by accident this weekend. My hair was practically bone straight at 11 weeks. Every hour or so, I would re-apply some bit of moisture to my hair then LIGHTLY comb or brush.

I used to be an avid rollersetter, and would sit under a hooded dryer (hair too thick and long to airdry...it would take a couple days). It was very good for my hair. I stopped wrapping (due to thinning overall), so I didn't need to do rollersets all the time. I've been airdrying using Sylver2's scarf method for years now. Love it, and now that I'm transitioning and doing wigs as a PS, I like to braid my hair while damp, then let it airdry. If I decide to take them down, I have an instant braidout.

I've only used heat once in the past 15 mos. I blowdried my hair last week, and my hair STILL HATES it from years ago (lots of flyaways/lost hair). I don't think a blowdryer will touch this head for a very long time (though I didn't lose much hair, I didn't like the flyaways I had despite using serum and the right products). The same happened about 3yrs ago when a stylist blowdried, so I just figure my hair hates it. It can take the flat-iron fine, but I choose to limit that contact to about once a yr.

Oh yeah, for the poll: when I have breakage, I use a protein condish plus follow with moisture. That usually helps right away.

I was going to suggest this. Air dry then flat iron if you're bad at rollersets. I know if I tried to blow dry AND flat iron there would be lots of breakage. I haven't used a blow dryer since April 2008 and my hair has definitely benefitted from this.

def. gonna try that this wknd :yep:

When I was relaxed I would wash my hair then put some setting lotion or mousse in and wrap my hair (while dripping wet) and tie my scarf on as if I was going to bed. I would walk around all day and let it dry then go to bed. The next morning my hair would be dry. Then I would comb my wrap down and proceed to flat iron or curl. I didn't even realize the benefit at that time. This was yearsssss ago. It would be super bouncy and straight. Minimal heat.

roller setting is the devil. lol. Last wknd I was doing it and i almost started crying from frustration and sore arms. I was so upset. I just ended up flat ironing. Once my hair gets longer I'm hoping it will be a little easier.

roller setting is the devil. lol. Last wknd I was doing it and i almost started crying from frustration and sore arms. I was so upset. I just ended up flat ironing. Once my hair gets longer I'm hoping it will be a little easier.

Oh I can relate! Swearing, crying, throwing clips... but I will NOT give in to the heat. I've been successfully ponytail roller setting, but this weekend I plan to attempt a traditional set. I will have patience, music, water in a spray bottle and some sort of alcoholic beverage.

I put it in a bun, put a scarf on and go to bed.

2) Is it possible to wear your hair straight or down afterward (without using straightening iron)
I guess with roller sets, but I honestly don't care since my hair will always be up. I have no clue how to even flat iron my hair. I can do the front but I always burn my fingers doing the back.

I stop touching it. maybe deep condition.

Last edited:
First off, I just want to say I :love: air drying...it's so quick and simple.

95% of the time I air dry in 6-8 braids

I wear cute updo braid outs, but if I wanted to wear straight styles I wouldn't air dry (I'd use my hooded dryer). But you can also air dry in rollers.

I don't have breakage...but when I do notice a couple of broken hairs, I do a Aphogee Treatment (usually every 6-8 weeks)

Thanks for such good information! I needed that.

I had to learn how to roller set and air dry. My hair has improved dramatically since I've removed heat completely. Maybe you could start out with the ponytail roller set then when you're comfortable enough gradually try traditional roller sets.

To maintain the body, straight length and curled edges I put my hair in a loose, super high ponytail with a very soft scrunchi at night and wrap a satin scarf around the front back and sides of my head (like a giant bandage) leaving the ponytail out because I use a satin pillowcase as well. I've had practically no breakage since I started doing this. I am still shedding, but I think it may be normal.

Also, you may want to test your protein/moisture balance. It's easy to accidentally overdose on special treatments and cause more damage because you've upset the balance. Wear a protective style (bun) every now and then too. HTH

Oh, and don't pull hair too hard trying to get your roots super straight when roller setting, it'll cause more damage.

My hair has been breaking and shedding, and I wouldn't be worried but when I first started healthy hair practices a little protein would stop this from happening... now I use the strongest treatments and the little pieces of hair are still in the sink? I'm about 98% sure I have discovered the culprit:
blow drying/straightening

I want to know these things:

First of all I use a lye relaxer so my hair does not frizz out when it is air drying this only happens if I dont use a little oil to seal in the moisture but it is not bad, it is just naked hair. I think this makes a big difference IMO. I blot my hair dry then add my KKKnot today I then wrap a band around the front of my hair to keep it flat and then I will let it dry a little bit more in front of a high fan. I add my leave ins and seal then put my hair in random magnetic rollers (4-6)with the clips and dry overnight in front of an fan turned on the highest setting. I dont care about the middle of my hair being flat just the front and edges. (Like sylver2)

I dont wear my hair straight often because I like a slight wave to curls better. If I want my hair straight I sit in under my attachable hair dryer for 15 min then air dry the rest of the way then I use my Caruso rollers (with no product only KKKnot today, so I get the full benefit of the steam) and after that I do a cross/half wrap. In the morning I will wear my hair straight. If I feel it has gotten too flat then I will put some grey flexi rods in, 2-4 depending on the look I want. If I want to flat iron I will always use a keratin condtioner before then use a heat protectant spray to (cool/warm) blow dry then a serum heat protectant to flat iron. I only plan on flat ironing maybe once or twice a year for those really special occasions. I dont use cones eithier.

I noticed when I returned to relaxers my hair was breaking a little. I did a little more research and have since started incorporating more (vegetable) protein in my hair diet, I do this every two weeks and the day I relax as well. I use a keratin conditioner 6 weeks after I relax and once a month thereafter. I use a leave-in with wheat protein 2x a week combined with my leave-in. My hair is doing so much better now. Some breakage is inevitable because we can be a little rough with our hair at times. I notice when I finger comb really rough I may get 2 or 3 broken strands.

I just really want to wear my hair straight, and I wrap it at night after I wash it and straighten it with my straightener, but I want to get from wet to straight without heat..

You can try blow drying on warm/cool air I saw a few tutorials on YouTube ( I am going to try this when I straighten my daughters hair because she has too much and it would take forever under the dryer with rollers)

I'm really bad at roller sets, but I'm starting to think I have to just learn how to do it...
I dont do roller sets in the traditional sense because I do not have the patience to take half an hour to do them then another hour and change under the dryer.

thanks in advance!!! :)

See my answers in BOLD

I read this thread about 3 weeks ago and saw this post, since then I have been air drying with great success using the scarf method!!!! I LOVE it, once my hair is fully dry I apply oil and put it in two big flexi rods. Im about 6 weeks post and so far so good!!!

As much as I love rollersetting, I get more breakage with the extra manipulation it takes to get my fine strands detantagled, parted, and wrapped around rollers.

I read this thread about 3 weeks ago and saw this post, since then I have been air drying with great success using the scarf method!!!! I LOVE it, once my hair is fully dry I apply oil and put it in two big flexi rods. Im about 6 weeks post and so far so good!!!

As much as I love rollersetting, I get more breakage with the extra manipulation it takes to get my fine strands detantagled, parted, and wrapped around rollers.
rollersets caused more damage for me too when using the snap on rollers...it especially got bad when I tried upgrading to the magnetic rollers with the metal clips. :nono:

finally mastered the scarf method for slick down edges. :yep: still kinda struggling with the length of my hair though. how do you keep the length of your hair (the part left hanging) from drying poofy, dry and brittle?

I just did my first roller set this weekend and it wasnt so bad, I dont plan on doing it so often but I think once a week is good and should keep my ends moisturized and less frizzy.

I use protein to combat breakage. But I use protein without any kind of heat (no steamer, no DCing under the dryer, no bow drying afterward). Just 4 minutes of protein followed by 4 minutes of a moisture condish. That's been keeping my breakage in check all summer.

If I air dry and I want straight hair, I wash in the evening, air dry 85%, wrap my hair (either traditional or cross-wrap), and go to bed. I wake up with straight smooth hair that may need only a slight touch up with a flat iron in one or two spots.

I'm not really 4c, but I'm a 4b. I stopped blowdrying after the new year and my hair has definitely benefitted.

I put all my leave ins..in(no pun intended) and let it be. Sometimes I'll braid it to create a faux twist out look.

Not right away, but if I don't straighten my hair at all during the week, I've noticed that it eventually comes straight anyway. If I want it straight right then, I use a flat iron.

I have noticed FAR less breakage when I stopped blowdrying. If there is something amiss with breakage, I do a no-heat deep condition and go on my merry way.

I usually do roller sets then dry under a hooded dryer. After I wrap my hair and go to sleep. Theres barely any breakage. It took some time of moisture and protein to get to a point of minimal breakage...well in actuality about two months.

Also, I tried air drying using the scarf method it works but my hair lacks the bounce of roller setting. So i usually air dry in the week, rollersets for weekends. Both ways are good. Annnd roller setting takes practice. I would just keep practicing. And instead of the pins I use the magnetic covers. I find that its easier to use. Im still practicing with the pins.

i'm 4b/c and i noticed my hair hates direct heat.. I mean it's horrible for my ends. Anytime I flat iron or blow dry it causes splits no matter what. I would suggest the ponytail rollerset it works great and you can air dry with it overnight and then just saran wrap to get it silky straight. No heat what so ever and my hair loves it! I also notice that air drying with a moisturizing leave in and sealing it with a silicone based product helps alot with frizziness.

1) how do you dry your hair without heat? Girl, it's mystery to me, but I've been able to do it the last couple of times. I have been on lhcf for 3 years and I have never been able to do it.

2) Is it possible to wear your hair straight or down afterward (without using straightening iron) Maybe after a reallly good blowout, but other that NEVER!!!

3) what do you do when your hair is breaking... I stop messing with it. I give up hope and concede to failure. This usually means I get extra lazy. I bun for a couple of weeks, and then it just stops. I know people bun for protective styles, but I bun because it's easy and kind of cute on my face type. Somehow the breakge just stops. When it stops breaking I do a protein treatment, and my breakage stops.

As you can see I don't know how this stuff happens. It's a new experiment everytime.

The protein treatments might be the culprit. If I don't sleep in my DC after a protein treatment, my hair will break until the next wash. My mom experenced this as well. Sleeping in DC works for me, but you may need to try something different for you.

This is definitely the case for me too. It's definitely good to know how to do it. Learning rollersetting allowed me to learn a lot of other things. It forced me to get in my hair and just get familar. Rollersetting taught me that. I think I was scared to get in my hair when I was younger. I still wonder what's coming on wash days. :lol: But it is not really a fear anymore. It something I kind of look forward to.

I've really gotten good at it, but it does more harm than good sometimes. I might be able to do a rollerset without so much breakage one day, but definitely not right now.

Back