Age Difference

neena

I'm in a situation now where my best male friend just told me how he felt about me. We have been friends for a while and have a really good connection. The only problem is that he is 5 years younger than me.:ohwell: And I dont know if I am ready to deal with all of the complications the age difference would bring, such as telling my friends, parents, etc. How do you ladies feel about this? And to put things in perspective, he is 18 and I am 23. TIA!

To be honest. I don't know. 18. Did he just turn 18. Why is he your best male friend. Do you share a lot of things with him. Do you talk a lot? Age wasn't a factor when you confided in him. So i guess...hmmm. How do you feel about him? The fact that you worried about what you will tell your parents, friends etc, implies you may have the same in return.

All i can say is take one step at a time? Weigh out the maturity factor and where you both are at now.

What is his maturity level? I have a male friend who is one of my best friends who is about 4 years younger than me. But he's always been 5 years maturer (is that a word:look:?) for his age.

To be honest. I don't know. 18. Did he just turn 18. Why is he your best male friend. Do you share a lot of things with him. Do you talk a lot? Age wasn't a factor when you confided in him. So i guess...hmmm. How do you feel about him? The fact that you worried about what you will tell your parents, friends etc, implies you may have the same in return.

All i can say is take one step at a time? Weigh out the maturity factor and where you both are at now.

You hit everything I wanted to say. Especially the bold part. You said you've known him a while and have a really good connection. If you had that connection with him before he was 18 then it must be strong. Yes, people will wonder if you guys were involved before he turned 18. Personally, I'd take things slow and let him mature a bit.

ETA: I was speaking theoretically. I hardly dated guys my age when I was that age so I would never think you should date such a young guy.

In my opinion as long as he is mature and you guys are enjoying each other...then age should not matter at all...it's just a number...the question is where is his maturity level and where is his heart...I know folks that are in their 30's and 40's that are silly and need to grow up...as long as you like him that's all that matters...such as telling your parents, friends, etc...that's fine...but the choice is yours...:yep: Hope I helped!

I'm in a situation now where my best male friend just told me how he felt about me. We have been friends for a while and have a really good connection. The only problem is that he is 5 years younger than me.:ohwell: And I dont know if I am ready to deal with all of the complications the age difference would bring, such as telling my friends, parents, etc. How do you ladies feel about this? And to put things in perspective, he is 18 and I am 23. TIA!

I'm 2 years younger than my SO and sometimes it's a little difficult:ohwell:. There will be things that he says or decisions that he makes that I wouldn't b/c I've "been there"already. However, I keep these things so myself for the most part b/c I have to remember that he is younger...maybe when he does get to my age, he'll see things the way I do. Either way, I love him w/ all my heart and he has made me happier than I've ever been. I say go for it:yep:, at least try dating and see what happens. Don't miss your blessing!

Best of friends...so easy to observe and consider as you ponder the plunge....you are way ahead of a major hurdle...think, go slowly....
Way OT...Nikos? More color options for the font colors...OK??????????

Best of friends...so easy to observe and consider as you ponder the plunge....you are way ahead of a major hurdle...think, go slowly....
Way OT...Nikos? More color options for the font colors...OK??????????

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

How you going to make give advice then make this request. That's LhCF for yeah.

Thanks for the replies ladies! Here's a little more info. He turned 18 about 6 months ago. Yes we do talk a lot, we have a really good friendship. Most of my friends think that we are already together. But I never really thought about it until he told me how he felt. He is very mature for his age. I thought he was older when I met him. (we worked together). I dont know... the age difference does make me kinda uncomfortable.

Thanks for the replies ladies! Here's a little more info. He turned 18 about 6 months ago. Yes we do talk a lot, we have a really good friendship. Most of my friends think that we are already together. But I never really thought about it until he told me how he felt. He is very mature for his age. I thought he was older when I met him. (we worked together). I dont know... the age difference does make me kinda uncomfortable.

Did it make you uncomfortable to have talk to him as friend, you know talk about how you feel, life, emotions.

^^^ No actually I was very comfortable with that. We are good in all other areas but the age. :sad:

If everything else is on point then don't let age stand in the way. I always attract younger guys, I believe because I'm still on a college campus and look like I'm in my early 20s... I'm 27 and will talk to them from 22 and up...Thinking back my best relationship was when I was 23 and he had just turned 19.

Back