AFROVEDA ALTERNATIVES-HELP A DESPARATE PERSON FIND A REPLACEMENT PRODUCT

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Due to Afroveda's price hike, I need to find an alternative. Can you ladies help me, please? I am looking to you guys for help and product recommendations.:grin:

Last edited:
i think oyin whipped pudding is better than all AV butters.
i also like hairveda whipped gelly better than AV gelly.
and theres always shea butter you can mix with the oils you know your hair likes.

ohh great thread girly! I hope people chime in on this one

I think an alternative to the PUR whipped jelly (which I love and will miss) is the Hairveda whipped jelly very comparable but I love the vanilla scent of the Afroveda more

wht I really need though is a replacement for the cocolatte moisture mask. Someone in the other thread mentioned Oyin's pudding but I dont wanna try it cause it has glycerin and beeswax and I'm trying to lay off the glycerin during theese tough German winters

wht I really need though is a replacement for the cocolatte moisture mask. Someone in the other thread mentioned Oyin's pudding but I dont wanna try it cause it has glycerin and beeswax and I'm trying to lay off the glycerin during theese tough German winters

You and me both. I loved Cocolatte but am considering the following as alternatives:

Ohm's Sweet Hair Pudding

SWHP-2.jpg

Made with the moisturizing properties of Honey, Sweet Hair Pudding adds weight, definition, frizz control and gives your hair a natural and long lasting hold. This product is great when applied to wet hair.

Ingredients: Unconditional love, Honesty, Divine Wisdom, Aloe Gel, Distilled water, Shea butter, Honey, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Pantheon (Vitamin B5), Yarrow, Sage, Natural Thickener, Nettle, Lavender, Horsetail. Emulsifying Wax, Vitamin E, Potassium Sorbate- Preservative, Colored with Wild Cherry Extract and Fragrance Blend.

Sweet Hair Pudding

Donna Marie Super Buttercreme

SB-2.jpg

Super rich, whipped, moisturizing souffle' for super dry, parched, coils, kinks and curls. This product can also be used as a styler for twists, twist-outs, braid-outs, puffs and more! There is no waxy buildup or residue as it instantly absorbs into thirsty hair. Pure whipped satisfaction! Enriched with exotic cupucau butter, sweet almond oil, and aloe for intense moisture and shine.

Ingredients: Water, botanical infusion of aloe vera, nettle and horsetail extracts, vegetable glycerin, *fractionated coconut oil, Shea butter, sweet almond oil, *vegetable emulsifier, cupuacu butter, meadowfoam seed oil, tucuma butter, xanthan gum, vitamin E, silver citrate, citric acid, potassium sorbate, fragrance.

http://www.shopdonnamarie.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SB

Also checkout AmakaCreations on Etsy and Komaza for their super moisturizing butters and creams.

I say make your own. You know what your hair likes...start experimenting. That's what all of these lines did...now, they are charging us $25 for a hair cream.

If you want a gel, use flaxseed and water
If you want a cream, use shea butter and oils and distilled water.
If you don't have the patience...jump ship and try other products in the store. Remember, as a child, our hair grew with commercial products. Don't be fooled, mineral oil ain't as bad as they like to say it is!

We can achieve long natural hair without paying an arm and a leg...

Off to the kitchen to mix my own stuff!:lick:

Ironically Kimmaytube was right! Simple is better...She didn't spend all her money trying these products. A fool and their money is easily parted (That's my learning lesson for today) :yep:

Last edited:
DD --- Why not look at Mozeke? It's a nice product. The price point is great. And she's as sweet as can be and her shipping is superfast.

Girl.....You have Options:grin::

KomazaHairCare
MyHoney Child
Darcy's Botancials
HV
SSI
Njoi Creations *Esty*
Marie Dean Hair Products
Plenty of stuff on CurlMart ex. Kinky Curly etc.....

I'm on a search too but right now I'm replacing AfroVeda with Oyin and Qhemet Biologics. Some people are saying Bee Mine is good but I haven't tried their creams and butters yet. I'm also using BeajiFlorNaturals from Etsy, their Hemp Butter Cream is pretty great. (shipping is still two weeks with them too)

I took some HairVeda stuff and mixed the NoiNah butter with the Vatika Frosting and it came out very good.

Looks like we're in the same boat DDTexlaxed. I'm already desperately looking for something to replace the Curl Define. Good luck on your search.

DD --- Why not look at Mozeke? It's a nice product. The price point is great. And she's as sweet as can be and her shipping is superfast.

Girl.....You have Options:grin::

KomazaHairCare
MyHoney Child
Darcy's Botancials
HV
SSI
Njoi Creations *Esty*
Marie Dean Hair Products
Plenty of stuff on CurlMart ex. Kinky Curly etc.....

Hey, can someone post some websites? I have no idea how to find some of the products listed!:blush::lachen: I'm a dangerous kitchen chemist. No way will I try to make my own products again.:nono: It's a darn shame what this price hike will do to me.:ohwell:

Last edited:
i'm going to try to make my own our whipped gelly when i run out....i loved it and it had the perfect amount of hold....i think i'll be moving on to qhemet biologics, darcy's botanicals or bee mine real soon.

Have you considered the Shea moisture line? I use their curl enhancing smoothie and the Shea butter leave-in. I like them both. I like Qhemet Biologics too.

I say make your own. You know what your hair likes...start experimenting. That's what all of these lines did...now, they are charging us $25 for a hair cream.

If you want a gel, use flaxseed and water
If you want a cream, use shea butter and oils and distilled water.
If you don't have the patience...jump ship and try other products in the store. Remember, as a child, our hair grew with commercial products. Don't be fooled, mineral oil ain't as bad as they like to say it is!

We can achieve long natural hair without paying an arm and a leg...

Off to the kitchen to mix my own stuff!:lick:

Ironically Kimmaytube was right! Simple is better...She didn't spend all her money trying these products. A fool and their money is easily parted (That's my learning lesson for today) :yep:

I completely agree. This weekend I didn't have enough conditioner for my hair. But, I remembered a YT where using a mixer to whip the shea butter concoction resulted in an increase in volume. So, I put my EVOO into the conditioner I had left (which is what I normally do). And, instead of stirring it with a spoon to mix it as usual I used the electric mixer to whip it. I ended up with enough product to do both my hair and my mom's hair--when I started out with too little to do my own hair.

My hair was as conditioned as it normally is (I steam using the Home Grown Steam Treatment), I did not have a lot of product left on the Turbie Twist when I took it off my head, and I did not have to spend a whole lot of time rinsing my hair like I normally do. My mom's hair was real easy to rinse as well.

I am going to whip my commercial conditioner all the time now to save product and money. But by Christmas I will have enough money to buy some shea butter and nice oils and I will be making my own conditioners from that point on!

You might also want to try using avocado butter or coffee butter straight out of the jar, no mixing. I buy them from Camden Grey and they last me months.

If you do want something online, I highly recommend Boutique de Fluertzy's Hydrating Hair Butter ($18 for 8 oz but a little goes a long way) her Curls Nurture Cream 4 oz for $9.00 bucks.

http://www.textureplayground.com/blog/?page_id=3079

See that's why being a pj ain't all bad. You should have at least 1-2 back ups for everything you use and 1 should be something you can get on the ground. You don't have to everything already but at least you know where to turn when price hikes happen, new formulations, etc.

I'm not chastising the OP, but this is a good teachable moment. What if afroveda went out of business or changed the ingredients. You should never become dependent on one product or product line. Disappointed, yes. Desperate, no.

Back