Afro

Curlybeauty

How is one supposed to get the afro look...a full afro with the ringlet ends? is this simply a twist out picked and fluffed to the max or am i missing something? and how do you keep this style?

i think it depends on hair type. im a 3c and my hair is kind of course i guess but i still cant get an actuall afro unless i blow out my hair. i guess you can do a twist out and pick like you said.

A picture would def help. :yep:

To get one like my siggy I just do a wash and go with Suave tropical coconut, coconut/olive oil. and ecostyler.

i think it depends on hair type. im a 3c and my hair is kind of course i guess but i still cant get an actuall afro unless i blow out my hair. i guess you can do a twist out and pick like you said.

I have the same problem....when I try to do one even with a blow out my hair naturally parts down the center and falls to the side. I wind up looking like bozo the clown :grin: So OP if you figure it out be a dear and post directions!!!!!! lol

sorry guys! I had no idea people had responded! But I am talking like jackson 5 from but a little more curly to the tip...so i'm guessing basically a really full twist out...

&& soleil i really love your big hair...but my wash and goes are a mess. shrinkage big time and my hair just tangles up. PM me if you see this comment with your exact wash and go procedures please. Thanks..

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "curly at the tip".

When I create an afro (usually an afro puff), I just apply S Curl to my hair, braid it and baggy for the night. In the AM, I just use a pick and comb right through my hair. All the strands have the same uniform coily look, and I get a perfectly round afro. The end/tips don't stick out but coil back into the 'fro. My afro puff below shows the results:
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

My mom's afro probably shows a clearer image of how the afro created this way looks like close up:
MomsSCurledHair-vi.jpg

We're both 4B.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "curly at the tip".

When I create an afro (usually an afro puff), I just apply S Curl to my hair, braid it and baggy for the night. In the AM, I just use a pick and comb right through my hair. All the strands have the same uniform coily look, and I get a perfectly round afro. The end/tips don't stick out but coil back into the 'fro. My afro puff below shows the results:

We're both 4B.
when i say curly at the tip, im talking about when i braid/twist my hair and it curls at the tip creating a curly end for later on the end result.

maybe its because my hair coils more than your hair does:ohwell:

i guess i'm really looking for a evenly textured and full twist out that resembles an afro shape:yep:

Is this kind of like what you mean? Even though this is more "coily at the tip" and a puff not an afro. This was done from a twistout of really tiny twists.

My hair is currently in a similar puff but this time I didn't have to do really tiny twists. I washed my hair in twists (medium sized) and then when it was almost dry/still damp, I took the twists out and put in a puff and it had those coils on the end. I sleep with a scarf on and spritz in the morning to revive.

Hope I helped somewhat.

when i say curly at the tip, im talking about when i braid/twist my hair and it curls at the tip creating a curly end for later on the end result.

maybe its because my hair coils more than your hair does:ohwell:

i guess i'm really looking for a evenly textured and full twist out that resembles an afro shape:yep:

I think I sort of get it. You want to see a twist-out forming the shape of an afro? In other words instead of a hanging twist-out and afro twist out?

My hair does form coils at the end of my twists but as you can see, their 4B size is hardly visible LOL:
Coilsattheendsoftwists-vi.jpg

But any twist-out I'd get from that would not stand up as an afro coz my twisting method makes my twist-out look more like wavy locs, plus I do very skinny twists that have no "backbone" LOL. When I tried to wet the twist-out trying to do "I dunno what" :giggle: the hair just puffed up at the roots but I didn't get an afro either:
TwistOutFlopSept2008-vi.jpg

After seeing Ceecy's pic, I tried to undo my twists and only finger-comb the base but not touch the ends :rofl:
erCombedBaseAfterUndoingaTwist-vi.jpg

I'd be totally out of my mind if I did that to my hair. :lachen: Why would I? :lachen: I am so anal about separating my hair into separate strands that I cannot ever see myself leaving my hair with the ends in coils/tubes like that. It'd be a recipe for tangles like you won't believe and I'd have no choice but to cut the ends off...plus I am partial to a completely combed out afro. Mwedzi will tell you, unless my afro looks like Bernie Mac's I'ma keep working on it till I get it right coz that's the only type of afro that tickles my fancy. :p

Last edited:
how about combing / brushing the hair out while dry and then rolling the ends on rollers? then pick out the hair but not the ends.

Back