African Beauty Secrets???

Chichi said:
I know that when we were kids, our Mom used to wrap our hair in black thread. I think that they call them silky dreads now but back then the kids thought that we had snakes growing out of our scalps
lachen70.gif

Anyway, now that I think about it that was a protective style because our ends were totally wrapped in the thread --- and boy did our hair grow. Mom used to do that along with greasing our scalps regularly.
smile.gif

I am from Angola and my mom did it to us too and our hair was so long that people asked all the time what we did to have so much hair. In my country they used some oil to grow hair and believe the hair does grow, in portuguese it is " oleo de mumpeca" or "mumpeca oil" but I never saw it here a friend of my mom brought it twice from Angola because my mom asked her too and her hair did look great and still does because she still does the style you mentioned at night.

Last edited:
winterinatl said:
The long reddish sticks, are they cinnamon?

No, they're like roots but i don't know what they're called, there are always so many herbs and teas around i sort of take them for granted, but i'll be sure to get more useful information soon...:look:

hothair said:
She doesn't know what the English (or latin) equivalent is for most of the herbs. But there are these (reddish) sticks you boil and put in a bath filled with VERY hot water and my sister's-in-law law sit in it :bath2:after they've had a baby and their body gets rid of all the excess toxins and stuff after childbirth and they literally shrink back to size! I wish she would let me put up some before and after pics but.... :whip:

!

this is very interesting. i can't wait to hear more :)

SweetCaramel1 said:
this is very interesting. i can't wait to hear more :)

Good thing reminding me, I'm headed home in a couple of days i'll go stalk my mum in law and at least get pictures of the "sticks" and any more info I can off her:D i'll also try and ask my sis' obstetrician if he can give me any scientific info on this...

I wonder if it would work to thread the ends of your cornrows on natural hair from the base of the scalp to the ends and get good growth? Now I would have to learn how to do the threading.....hmmm

In the past Igbo's in the southern part of Nigeria used elu aki (black palm kernel oil) to moisturise their hair before using the black thread to plait their hair. My aunties had very long hair because 1. They had natural hair. 2. The black palm kernel oil. 3.They ate alot of vegetables and fish.

I used the black thread to plait my hair for 3 years as a teenager (15 to 18) and I had natural bra strap length hair.
I ate alot of vegetables and fruits as well. I eventually got a relaxer and with time my hair withered away because I had no knowledge of caring for relaxed hair.

I use the black thread to plait my daughter's hair and in a year she has grown so much hair. I will try and post some of her hair photos in the near future.
Igbos believe in shaving the hair to make it grow back thicker especially in young children and babies.

hothair said:
Good thing reminding me, I'm headed home in a couple of days i'll go stalk my mum in law and at least get pictures of the "sticks" and any more info I can off her:D i'll also try and ask my sis' obstetrician if he can give me any scientific info on this...

thanks in advance. have a great trip :)

I was searching for this thread because I remember what my mother used to do to my hair when I was younger!!
I used to like Cornrows, but my mom prefered to 'Thread' my hair. I hated it! Then one day, I cut all my hair off, so I had to go to the barber to get an even fade, and then as my hair started to grow back, my mom faithfully greased it (not my scalp so much, but definitely my hair) and she would section if off and wrap it in the black thread...My hair was always so healthy, soft and LONG!
The other day, my girls and I were talking, and we were saying if only there was a way to make that style cute, we would definitely do it again now! It was difficult to sleep with it initially, but after a while it was fine. and taking it out was breeze, and you didn't have to worry about tangles or much breakage.
I know that when I moved to PNG, there was a girl that had the style, but used colored ribbons over the thread to give it a more 'western' look. I wouldn't want to walk around with ribbons in my head now, but I do wish I could go away and get it done for a month and then come back with longer healthier hair!

I'm Nigerian, and the only 'secret' my mum ever told me for hair is....... Hemp. Apparantly it's readily available in some parts of Nigeria, and rubbing it on the hair and scalp is supposed to stimulate growth.

Well that's may two cents ;) xxx

Summa Bliss said:
I'm Nigerian, and the only 'secret' my mum ever told me for hair is....... Hemp. Apparantly it's readily available in some parts of Nigeria, and rubbing it on the hair and scalp is supposed to stimulate growth.

Well that's may two cents ;) xxx

Summa Bliss it appears you must know the secrets already your hair looks good in your siggy. Are you using Hemp on your Hair, if not what are you using?

rinygirl6 said:
Yeah I've heard of the red clay thing. As a matter of fact, one of my friends and I tried to figure out how we could do this to our hair and see what kind of benefit it would give. Well, since I can't see myself walking around with dirt in my hair all day this is what we came up with:

1/2 cup of Olive oil
3 tablespoons Shea Butter oil
4 tablespoons of kaolin clay
Put it on wet or dry hair before you wash it. I let it sit for 20min under the dryer with a shower cap on. Then I shampoo, deep condition, ect... as normal.

I tried it for a month and what I noticed is that my hair is a lot stronger and shinier, a really deep shine. Also my follicles are smoother and sturdier(if that makes since). Next time I want to replace the Olive oil with Shea Butter and the Shea Butter with Aloe Juice or palm oil and see how that works out.

I've done clay treatments. I don't mix the clay with oil - just water. It does work to make hair silky soft.

My hair was always wrapped up with thread aswell. My hair was very strong and thick from this. And in agreement with everyone else this was hard to sleep with. However i remember having long thick hair throughout this time. I have also always been told to leave my hair alone. And to be honest when i was younger i use to have one wash and condition day a week and then back into the threads. This seemed to work....I'm from Ghana.

my gradma used to thread me n my younger sis hair too back in Nigeria...our hair was so thick too....Also now that i think about it...my grandma has natural brastrap 4b hair and thats all she does...threading with the black thread...she does it every 2 weeks or so and her hair is so thick and long...i bet it would be longer if she didnt cut it (to maintain that certain length)...As a matter of fact i may have some blk thread..will look for it this weekend..I may need to get back on this....:lol:

oh and for the ladies that threaded their hair when they were younger but think it'll look so crazy right now and would not wear it outside....there's a method of blk hair threading that my grandma used to do on my hur...as a matter of fact my sis did it for me about 6yrs ago and i wore it out...lol...u thread the hair like u normally would...from base to ends and then wrap it around itself...called "okoso" just like bantu knots...to make it more stylish...just make traingular parts.....as soon as i find my blk thread ..imma see if i can get my sis to thread my hait again so i can post pics:D

Hi Ladies, about the "red sticks" a biologist family friend has suggested I give her/ or any lab the roots and herbs to identify before I suggest them to anyone:look: Will keep you guys updated!

About threading one holiday I had this done and I had a 'facelift' from the pull but it made my hair lush. I wonder if I can do this myself :scratchch I've got a wig to cover it if it looks that butters

hothair said:
Hi Ladies, about the "red sticks" a biologist family friend has suggested I give her/ or any lab the roots and herbs to identify before I suggest them to anyone:look: Will keep you guys updated!

About threading one holiday I had this done and I had a 'facelift' from the pull but it made my hair lush. I wonder if I can do this myself :scratchch I've got a wig to cover it if it looks that butters
[/quote]

Hey sis...lol..it def gives an instant facelift...i was actually thinking of doing it or getting my sis to do it...and if it dont look too cute..covering with a wig....hmmm...:lol: :lol:

scarcity21 said:
hothair said:

Hey sis...lol..it def gives an instant facelift...i was actually thinking of doing it or getting my sis to do it...and if it dont look too cute..covering with a wig....hmmm...:lol: :lol:

I'm actually trying this out right now - I'm using weave thread we'll see how it goes, somehow I think that wig will come in useful:p

hothair said:
I'm actually trying this out right now - I'm using weave thread we'll see how it goes, somehow I think that wig will come in useful:p
lemme know how it goes...i wanna see too if possible:D

Please whatever you do DO NOT use a weave thread for wrapping it ruined my hair when I did it! The weave thread is too coarse for it and would break your hair!!:(

hothair said:

Well.................how did it turn out?

Back