About Hair Pictures

I understand where the OP is coming from. But I also understand that we don't have to share photos, it's a choice.

And I'm glad that these ladies are so willing to share their photos because I love looking at photos and stalking albums.

ubavka123 said:
I don't think the OP meant to be judgemental or offensive. I sometimes find it hard to see a person's progress if they compare different types of pics. I understood (perhaps wrongly) that she was suggesting more consistency in progress pics specifically. Like not comparing a wet shot to a dry shot, a curled shot to a straight shot, etc. Like photos should be compared with like. If it is uncombed when you take the shot, to show progress, take another uncombed shot, so that real progress can be seen. This is how I understood her meaning.

It is great to see all photos, but when it comes to progress pics, it is harder to see progress when the pics are not consistent. And seeing that progress is important to all the ladies. We all get inspiration from one another, a wonderful aspect of this board.

At the end of the day, it was just a suggestion. Everybody continue to do your thing, your way! :) Have a great day!
I AGREE WITH UBAVKA123's POST!

The OP has mid-back length natural hair. She does not have a camera. I think she was just making a suggestion. She said she wasn't trying to be mean, however, I know posts affect people's feelings in different ways. It's okay ladies. Don't take her post to the heart. ;)

JustMeSteph said:
school me on this bc my pics are kinda blurry at times
It's super easy and will help you document your progress better (if nothing else).

If it's a camera phone... I'll just have to get over it (btw, I can easily see how lovely your hair is). If it's a digital camera you've got no excuse. :wink2:

There are two ways. Most cameras have a self-portrait setting. It will automatically but your camera in macro mode. The other way is to just push the macro button (it's usually on top of the camera). It looks like this...
MACRO.gif
. It's usually shared with the landscape setting which works great for taking pics in a mirror.

macro_compcopy-vi.jpg

Last edited:
aprilj said:
It doesn't bother me at all whether it's combed or not combed...has a bend in it...wet...dry...etc,etc,etc. I just enjoy looking at everyone's pics.

Same here, I love pics and IMO When pixs are posted is because poeple are proud of them, even when others could not see the big difference.
So, keep them coming..I"ll look at them anytime:grin:

Last edited:
sareca said:
It's super easy and will help you document your progress better (if nothing else).

If it's a camera phone... I'll just have to get over it (btw, I can easily see how lovely your hair is). If it's a digital camera you've got no excuse. :wink2:

There are two ways. Most cameras have a self-portrait setting. It will automatically but your camera in macro mode. The other way is to just push the macro button (it's usually on top of the camera). It looks like this...
MACRO.gif
. It's usually shared with the landscape setting which works great for taking pics in a mirror.

macro_compcopy-vi.jpg

Thanks sareca. I was wondering why I could not always get clear shots, I will definitely be using the self portrait macro setting. It is a huge difference.

sareca said:

MACRO.gif

macro_compcopy-vi.jpg

Thanks, great tip at least for me :grin: I did not know that...I'll try it for my next pixs;)

ubavka123 said:
I don't think the OP meant to be judgemental or offensive. I sometimes find it hard to see a person's progress if they compare different types of pics. I understood (perhaps wrongly) that she was suggesting more consistency in progress pics specifically. Like not comparing a wet shot to a dry shot, a curled shot to a straight shot, etc. Like photos should be compared with like. If it is uncombed when you take the shot, to show progress, take another uncombed shot, so that real progress can be seen. This is how I understood her meaning.

It is great to see all photos, but when it comes to progress pics, it is harder to see progress when the pics are not consistent. And seeing that progress is important to all the ladies. We all get inspiration from one another, a wonderful aspect of this board.

At the end of the day, it was just a suggestion. Everybody continue to do your thing, your way! :) Have a great day!

I also agree with this!!! For my own sake, I always try to take pics that will allow me to go back and reasonably compare. When I first started my hair journey, I took awful pictures but now their of better quality. I guess its a learn as you go process and you get better with time, as with all things.

Poohbear said:
I AGREE WITH UBAVKA123's POST!

The OP has mid-back length natural hair. She does not have a camera. I think she was just making a suggestion. She said she wasn't trying to be mean, however, I know posts affect people's feelings in different ways. It's okay ladies. Don't take her post to the heart. ;)
How do you know how long the OP's hair is?

dlewis said:
I understand where the OP is coming from. But I also understand that we don't have to share photos, it's a choice.

And I'm glad that these ladies are so willing to share their photos because I love looking at photos and stalking albums.

Totally agree with this statement. My only gripe is that I wished more people would share their progress and hair styles with pictures 'cause I love looking at them(I can't talk since I don't even have my own up.....sigh...one day).

sareca said:

MACRO.gif

macro_compcopy-vi.jpg

Girl, thanks for telling us this..I have that little flowery thing on my camara and I will be using it for now on;)

Last edited:
I personally have no problem with it, if the progress is a little hard to understand its not a huge deal sometimes the actual progress on length is not as important as the overall health of the hair. I look for both.

With my pics I try my best to keep things the same, my progress pic has a little but of wave to it on both b4 and after… the problem also is sometimes when you take that 1st pic you don’t really want to have your hair perfectly straight due to damage. What I am trying to say is it’s a blessing for women to show progress anyway regardless on how the pics are taken.

tsiporah said:
Ok, I have to say something. Please hear me out because I am not trying to be mean. But a little suggestion. When taking a picture and trying to show length. Try to comb it and neaten it up before taking the picture so that we can see clearly how long it has gotten and how healthy and nice it looks. I have seen pictures where it looks as if a long day has gone by and just simply pulled the hair out of a ponytail then Snap! The hair has lots of dents and bends. Then the picture is posted. And I can't tell if the ends are even or simply jagged looking. I think *we* have to be mindful of how *we* present ourselves. I am calling out any people, I don't even recall what pictures I saw, it was just something on my mind and thought I post it before it slips again.

Tsipy

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS HAIR FORUM ARE EXTREMELY SENSITIVE AND THINK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THEM...:look:

I dont believe the op meant any harm. Just making a suggestion is how i viewed it. I dont think she should get her head knocked off for posting her opion.

aprilj said:
I'm pretty sure that when you do feel ready to post those pics that we'll be looking at a gorgeous head of hair ;) . Don't let nobody discourage you from accomplishing your goals :) .
thank you so much for the kind words:)

baby42 said:
me too i love to look at every body pic it helps give me hope keeps me doing what i have to do i dont post cause my hair is no where as pretty as the ladys here but its getting there:) so i am not ready for show yet but i cant wait to show what i learn from every body:)

OK Baby42 we will be waiting. :)

I know my picture isn't a work of art - it's a work in progress. :lol: However I will try to use the macro setting next time. I didn't even know about it.

alundra said:
OK Baby42 we will be waiting. :)

I know my picture isn't a work of art - it's a work in progress. :lol: However I will try to use the macro setting next time. I didn't even know about it.
that what i am talking about a little push i am puting on my BT right now :) my hair is a work in progress:lol:

grnidmonster said:
I agree with those who just appreciate the opportunity to look at others pictures. the honor of stepping into each of your lives to read about how you have cared for your hair and the progress you have made has been invaluable. I don't feel it is my place to tell you how take your photos and quite honestly I dont want to hear how you think I should take mine.:lol:

One of the things I love about this board is the sisters are typically very NON-judgemental and open. I sure hope it stays that way.

well said! I totally agree. Thanks to EVERYONE that shares pictures and progress updates!

baby42 said:
thank you so much for the kind words:)
Most of us start with tore up hair. When I began all this mess a few years back, my hair was a daggone mess. Now I can look back with pride at what I've been able to do with your hair. You maye not want to take pictures and share them with us, but please take them for yourself so you can see your progress.
:)

dlewis said:

I agree with everything you said d(btw- your new siggy is precious)
I understand where the op is coming from but no one has to post pics besides I think even with uncombed,straightened hair or bumped ends you can tell the length of the person's hair.
I hardly ever straighten my hair and have it in a bun 99% off the time so if I have pics they're more then likely gonna be of airdried hair that's been in a bun all day(since I vowed not to flatiron anymore just to show my length).

StrawberryQueen said:
Most of us start with tore up hair. When I began all this mess a few years back, my hair was a daggone mess. Now I can look back with pride at what I've been able to do with your hair. You maye not want to take pictures and share them with us, but please take them for yourself so you can see your progress.
:)

I agree with strawberry,my hair was a h.a.m. when I started now it looks healthy and when I get the hairblues I can look at my old pics to see how much my hair changed

MamaBraidedIt said:
Some people may not want to flat-iron their hair to get that straight look because they may be trying to stay away from heat. I've seen several pictures of the kind you describe on here, and in those cases, whether the hair was bent or dented, I could still see how much the hair had grown.

I agree:) I could still see the difference.

If someone is posting for people to *see* the progress, it would actually be nice to *see* the progress and gain encouragement at the same time. I completely feel what OP is stating.I dont think she was being ungrateful (as some have thought), just simply giving a helpful/useful hint...

With that being said, I THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS AN FOTKI, BECAUSE LORD KNOWS I LOOOOOOVVVE :love: SEEING ME SOME PICS! Straight,curly,blurry or wet! :)

Wow, after reading the OP, is it little wonder I still have a set of hair pics not uploaded yet? :perplexed I always see beautiful heads on here with straight lush ends, I am very self conscious about my own hair. :look:

I so appreciate you ladies taking the time to post your pics. I love every state of hair, 12 weeks post new growth, hair being washed, baggie tutorials, the whole nine yards. I have an insatiable appetite for all things related to haircare. Thanks everybody for sharing your pics. I hope to join you all one day soon. ;)

I'm sure we will all choose to do as we please and I appreciate that this has been a healthy discussion to agree to disagree, just the way it should be.

Hell, if some of us can admit in a public forum that we have put Monistat on our heads, pretty much anything should be acceptable here right:lol:

wow, i didnt realize that someone would actually complain about hair albums that they are not forced to view. If I look at someone's fotki and i'm less than impressed i just keep it moving. I personally have dents in my hair at all times because i wear it up 99.9% of the time in order to protect it. It's actually kinda funny that someone had the audacity to request how women with hair albums should style their hair. Get a life!

ashmack said:
wow, i didnt realize that someone would actually complain about hair albums that they are not forced to view. If I look at someone's fotki and i'm less than impressed i just keep it moving. I personally have dents in my hair at all times because i wear it up 99.9% of the time in order to protect it. It's actually kinda funny that someone had the audacity to request how women with hair albums should style their hair. Get a life!

I think some people are taking this too seriously. If you're posting "progress" pics, it's usually best to compare like with like (unless you're showing something like a transition from relaxed to natural, or tore-up to healthy :lol: , etc.). I think that's all she's saying. I certainly appreciate being able to see my own progress in photos as well as the progress of others. I think it's a great "suggestion", but perhaps could have been stated more diplomatically.

Back