A Tip Using the MAXIGlide..

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
I just wanted to let everyone know what I've discovered using this appliance.

When I first tried it on my relaxed hair, it smelled like "just pressed" smoky hair. You know that burnt smell that a stove iron can have? That's the smell. :barf: I used it on my daughter's 4 a/b natural hair and had the same smell. I figured it had to be the product(s) I was using....(different oils and pressing cremes)

One of my sisters raved about about the ION Heat Protectant Spray. (she's natural and had been using various products to press over the years) then SO1913(I believe) posted about it. So I had to buy the product! I used it on my daughter's hair the smell was there, but wasn't as pronounced and loud. It was very subtle.:yep: You had to put your nose to her hair to actually smell it. :)

Btw, my sis, touched up her press by using coconut oil, which gave her beautiful silky results. :yep:

ION Heat Protectant and Coconut Oil with the Maxiglide get: :up: :up:

~op~

ITA Ion Heat Protectant spray and coconut oil were the key to the incredible shine in my maxiglide pictures. I put a little coconut oil in the palm of my hands and distribute through my hair concentrating on my ends. I sprayed the heat protectant on my hair, combed thru and proceeded to flat iron.

I only got that "pressed hair" smell the first time I used it. On my second try the smell was gone. It could be that I used the maxiglide on a setting lower than 5.

onepraying... was the setting too high (like higher than 4) on your daughter's hair? if so, do u think that could be the reason why there was a burnt smell?

simplycee said:
ITA Ion Heat Protectant spray and coconut oil were the key to the incredible shine in my maxiglide pictures. I put a little coconut oil in the palm of my hands and distribute through my hair concentrating on my ends. I sprayed the heat protectant on my hair, combed thru and proceeded to flat iron.

I only got that "pressed hair" smell the first time I used it. On my second try the smell was gone. It could be that I used the maxiglide on a setting lower than 5.
so, do you think this would be a good idea???

i plan to wash and condition my hair...add leave in, seal with coco oil and put it in braids to airdry....then once its dry i will spray each section with ion just before i past the maxiglide over it....does that sound right??

Shantani it sounds like a PERFECT plan and you should get great results that way. I'll also pass on another tip be sure to comb out each section before you go over it with the maxiglide to ensure that it glides over your hair. Also make sure your air dried hair is TOTALLY dry. Let us know how it turns out.

Poohbear I'm not sure how high the maxiglide can be set for. The first time I used it I set it on 5 but decided later that I coud get the same results set on 4.

Poohbear said:
onepraying... was the setting too high (like higher than 4) on your daughter's hair? if so, do u think that could be the reason why there was a burnt smell?

Hey girl! :wave:

Here are the products I used before the ION: EVOO, Organics Carrot Oil, Isoplus pressing grease, A tad of Healthy Ends, also some others I can't think of right now... All these were used at different times

Setting 7 was used on my nape area the first time I tried it(smelled the burnt :barf: )
I used it on 8 the first time on her hair. (smelled the burnt) I got nervous about damage so I used it a second time and turned it down to like 4.( still smelled the burnt :barf: ) Used it on my full head on like 5 (smelled the burnt) Touched up her press on like 2 or 3.....got the burnt smell

Sidenote: I'm learning that different sections of her hair require different settings...

By this time, *shrugging my shoulders* I was figuring that was just a drawback of the appliance.

So when I used the ION, voila! No loud burnt smell. I just contributed it to the product!

simplycee said:
............................. I'll also pass on another tip be sure to comb out each section before you go over it with the maxiglide to ensure that it glides over your hair.

[/font]

Good tip Simplycee...I would comb/detangle each section good before passing the glide through. I usually use my denman on my daughter's sections..

onepraying said:

Hey girl! :wave:

Here are the products I used before the ION: EVOO, Organics Carrot Oil, Isoplus pressing grease, A tad of Healthy Ends, also some others I can't think of right now... All these were used at different times

Setting 7 was used on my nape area the first time I tried it(smelled the burnt :barf: )
I used it on 8 the first time on her hair. (smelled the burnt) I got nervous about damage so I used it a second time and turned it down to like 4.( still smelled the burnt :barf: ) Used it on my full head on like 5 (smelled the burnt) Touched up her press on like 2 or 3.....got the burnt smell

Sidenote: I'm learning that different sections of her hair require different settings...

By this time, *shrugging my shoulders* I was figuring that was just a drawback of the appliance.

So when I used the ION, voila! No loud burnt smell. I just contributed it to the product!
Oh okay. Now I see why you had the burnt smell. Maybe using all those oil products and starting off with a high temperature caused that smell. I guess when you turned it down to a cooler temperature, it's still hot since you started off with a hotter temperature. Good luck next time you use it on her hair! ;)

Back