A New Henna Thread

What was the reasoning behind not applying onto damp hair for our hair type? What was the reasoning or experience in this situation.

There really is no real straightforward hair type even amongst black hair that is all the same either, so the reference would be a bit to general to me. Not all black hair types are even the same anyhow either.

I hope my statement makes sense. I'd say try it on damp hair for an easier application and compare to a dry application and do what works best for your hair type.

Sorry, it just REALLY bothers me a lot when people recommend ONE set way to do your hair or WHAT is supposed to be best for you, when we have to do WHAT WE WANT and know is best for us. We can use the general guidelines but they are not set in stone.

Just like the whole lemon juice thing. I mean, how many people would have turned away from henna a LONG time ago if they thought they HAD to use lemon juice. Thank goodness for alternatives, and for the open minds of people who figured out this realization of other options.

Hi Khadija,

I don't know why a lot of the sites say to apply to dry hair. I always assumed that it had something to do with the henna adhering better to the hair strands but now that I see a lot of women are applying to damp hair and getting great results I don't feel so stuck having to do it one way only. You are so right about the lemon juice, if I didn't do my research first I would've used it and possibly would've been turned off to using henna. Thanks for all the great info!

Muse, no problem! For sure everyone has their own opinion. Mine just happens to be open ended. I know I am not perfect, and I don't think one way is the best way. My life is about being balanced, and being moderate in everything you do. :)

Much love to all. Have a blessed day!

Ahh, makes sense. LOL, I did get it all over my bathroom sink and a little on the walls. I'm gonna try it on damp hair this weekend to see which I prefer. Thanks!

I also apply to damp hair, I tried it once on dry hair and didn't like it as much. I use a more liquidy mix like yogurt, not a paste, and I apply it with the applicator/condiment bottle in my siggy. Zero mess! I wouldn't henna with out it.

Khadija, can marshmallow root powder or something else be added after dye release to assist with decreasing the drying effects of Henna? I have used honey and it helped until last week. (I did use somewhat less honey w/ 2 boxes of BAQ Jamila). Thanks

I have some henna that's been in my closet for at least a year. I need to see what kind it is and if it's expired. I planned on using it a while back but I got scared. I think I'll try this weekend if the brand is approved by the ladies of LHCF. :yep:

Question: What's the tea some ladies are using in the mix for?

^^^I checked...it's Uttam. Anyone use this brand?
011166J05436.jpg

This one?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Does adding amla to a henna mix have any effect on the color the henna will produce? Does it cool or darken tones?

sometimes but it's a box marked as black henna, and the thing with that is that it is not 100% pure usually and haven't heard such great results with it. About 25% of the time it can be found, and maybe even in Arab markets.

Guys, I haven't read through the entire old thread and I'm working on this one, but I have a question.

I was given Henna by a friend and I want to make sure it's BAQ. Now there isn't a brand name on it, it's in a bag. What I found a little odd was that it's a bag of the 'henna' and a separate packet of some red powder. I wonder what this is? Do I have to mix them together? I'm going to test this out on a section of hair but is it normal for BAQ Henna to come pre mixed like that?

Guys, I haven't read through the entire old thread and I'm working on this one, but I have a question.

I was given Henna by a friend and I want to make sure it's BAQ. Now there isn't a brand name on it, it's in a bag. What I found a little odd was that it's a bag of the 'henna' and a separate packet of some red powder. I wonder what this is? Do I have to mix them together? I'm going to test this out on a section of hair but is it normal for BAQ Henna to come pre mixed like that?

Not to my knowledge. Did you ask her what the red powder is for?

Not to my knowledge. Did you ask her what the red powder is for?

She told me it is for more color I think. She says they use this henna back home on their hair, so I do hope it's BAQ. I wonder if it's a spice or something to give an extra red boost. I got a little on my finger and boy did it stain bright red something serious.

She told me it is for more color I think. She says they use this henna back home on their hair, so I do hope it's BAQ. I wonder if it's a spice or something to give an extra red boost. I got a little on my finger and boy did it stain bright red something serious.

With BAQ henna, you don't need anything else but the actual henna. If you're not sure, please do a strand test first. The last thing you need or want is to put henna on your head and for your hair to turn green or melt because it's a compound henna.
I've heard of people spicing up their color, but usually they use natural ingredients like paprika and herbal tea (I use this on occasion).
HTH!

It's late so please excuse any misspellings! heh.

Hey January Noir,

I was reading an older henna thread where you said Catherines instructions for applying henna to dry hair wasnt for our hair type and you recommended applying to pre-deep conditioned DAMP hair. I understand why you would want to apply to conditioned hair but why damp? Does it help prevent it from hardening making it even easier to rinse out?

Thanks!

That's weird. I read Catherine's e-book and it said to use on freshly washed hair. Maybe I missed it somewhere!

That's weird. I read Catherine's e-book and it said to use on freshly washed hair. Maybe I missed it somewhere!

I always thought that meant freshly washed dry hair. In the pics the girl's hair is dry as the henna/cassia/indigo is being applied.

I always thought that meant freshly washed dry hair. In the pics the girl's hair is dry as the henna/cassia/indigo is being applied.

You are right. It does say washed/dry hair. I printed out two different things the Hennaforhair Ebook and Expressions with Henna-Coloring Hair Naturally. It was the latter that stated to do on wash/wet hair. Sorry!:blush:

Yeah it's odd how they don't always understand what the indigo is, but they don't specialize in natural hair care, so I am not really surprised.

As for the red powder. I am familiar with it. It is something they had said to add to the henna for more color, like usually when it came to body art though. I had some of this before and played around with it years ago.

For hair no don't use the red powder stuff. I don't even know exactly what it is still to this day.

But it sounds like this is from Sudan right? If so henna from Sudan is very good. The sift won't be great but the henna should be pretty good. So give it a shot and do your hair strand test just to be 100% certain

Let us know how it comes out

Yeah it's odd how they don't always understand what the indigo is, but they don't specialize in natural hair care, so I am not really surprised.

As for the red powder. I am familiar with it. It is something they had said to add to the henna for more color, like usually when it came to body art though. I had some of this before and played around with it years ago.

For hair no don't use the red powder stuff. I don't even know exactly what it is still to this day.

But it sounds like this is from Sudan right? If so henna from Sudan is very good. The sift won't be great but the henna should be pretty good. So give it a shot and do your hair strand test just to be 100% certain

Let us know how it comes out

Thank you! She is Egyptian so it's possible that the henna could be from around that region. She placed it in a bag for me and threw the little red packet in there. I will be doing a strand test in a bit and if it works out I'll be back to update everyone on my first henna experience.

Khadija is right about the Sudanese henna (my quote function isn't working for some reason). My SO is from Northern Sudan and he kept telling me his sisters use it and its really good. His mom sent some over in preparation for a wedding and he gave me some. I used it last week for the first time and I liked it a lot. As far as the sift, I sifted it again myself before using and I was able to get it a bit finer. It took a while to wash out, but not nearly as long as the henna from Yemen! HTH!!

It's be nice to get my hands on some Sundanese henna. The sift is an issue for me, but really glad to hear, Eisani, that it washed out better then yemeni henna. I agree the yemeni can be a pain to wash out at times, especially when you are used to the smoother henna powders.

ok so i did the henna and then the indigo. i didnt get the results from the indigo like i expected. the hair darkened but it was far from that raven black hair i wanted!! :look: what can i do to make it black??:ohwell:
if i wanted to indigo again to try to get it darker/black, do i have to henna again too?

Back