A New Henna Thread

Do any ladies mix in a conditioner after color release for an easier rinse out? I've seen that it helps wash out easier, just wondering if others do it. Without condish it takes more rinses n I'm lazy so I have to add the condish. lol

That would make it more of a henna glaze if you mix it in before applying to hair. If you use it when you are rinsing the henna out, it makes it easier to rinse out.

Hi everyone! I just put henna in my hair and totally forgot to put my gloves on!! Now I have red-orange hands and fingernails!!! Does anyone know how I can get rid of these stains?!!! Tia.

Is a henna glaze much different than just regular henna application? My hair is not as dry if I do it the glaze way, but when I do it w/o I have to DC right after and 3 days later bc my hair is drier than usual. Just want to be sure I'm not losing nutrients by adding conditioner to my mix.
TIA!

I haven't henna'd in a long time so I'm going to do a henna gloss tonite probably with Nupur. I also have Reshma but Nupur rinses out easier and leaves my hair softer.

Sent from the 18 wheeler that delivers your hair products, computer, and smart phone.

Do any ladies mix in a conditioner after color release for an easier rinse out? I've seen that it helps wash out easier, just wondering if others do it. Without condish it takes more rinses n I'm lazy so I have to add the condish. lol
I started applying conditioner (tresemme naturals) to my henna after the dye release to aid with the wash out and also ease the drying effect. I am going to henna tomorrow and this will be my second time with this method. It was cool the first time and it did wash out easier. I still do a DC for about an hour though afterwards. Just like you I also do it because I am lazy lol.

lovestarr said:
I started applying conditioner (tresemme naturals) to my henna after the dye release to aid with the wash out and also ease the drying effect. I am going to henna tomorrow and this will be my second time with this method. It was cool the first time and it did wash out easier. I still do a DC for about an hour though afterwards. Just like you I also do it because I am lazy lol.

Thank you lovestarr!
I didn't know this had different terminology just because you add conditioner, but I still get the same results, same color tint while adding conditioner. I was advised it only affects the rinse out, no affect on the benefits nor the color tint, in which I've never noticed a difference.

After my first two trials with henna and 10-12 rinses & 12oz of VO5 conditioner, I was looking for an easier way to get that ish outta my hair! lol

I researched and found that if you add conditioner after dye release just before application, this will ease rinse out. Don't know what the difference is or why it's deemed a "glaze" or "gloss", but I have all the benefits minus straw-like dryness.

Anyone else have an opinion?

My experience is that henna and plain distilled water had the brightest color and my hair curl loosening was more defined. DarkJoy told me to smooth my hair periodically while the henna was in my hair and that really elongates your curl pattern.

When I first started henna'ing I used a gloss and my liquids were green tea and coconut milk. I mixed in gbp (Sallys) after dye release. It was very smooth but I believe it was basically a conditioning treatment. It didn't cover my few grays well. I am a very thorough rinser. I use an entire bottle of conditioner and plenty of water. However after applying my m/s I would wake up with henna stained pillowcases. I stopped adding the conditioner and the staining stopped.

I recently stopped using green tea and coconut milk as my liquids. A woman from India said just use water and a squeeze of lemon. I didn't change my method then. Darkjoy doesn't use anything except water. She made a comment about other stuff interfering with the henna's sticking/coating ability. That made sense to me. I started using warm distilled water only. My experience was stronger color deposit and more curl definition.

As far as rinse out goes, I think it comes down to what type of henna you use. I use BAQ with a fine sift. I hate twigs and veins in my hair. I think the rinsing takes the same amount of time whether or not it is a gloss or plain henna.

I usually henna weekly. I have been using henna since April. I hope this helps. I use jamila, red raj(horrible sift, great color), henna for African hair and its twin.

Last edited:
You didn't notice any difference in number of rinses HanaKuroi with just H2O?

It only takes me about 3 rinses, but I each rinse is for a LOOOOOONG time, like 20 mins altogether. I only apply the henna to dry, stretched or blow out hair. No product on the hair at all. Only henna. IDK if that's making the difference or not. My hair is also short, so who knows if that is part of it as well?

Only had straw hair once when I jumped on a bandwagon and tried to add coffee to release the dye. Ugh! Just the distilled water and no dryness at all.

I need to clarify. I still rinse with conditioner for the last rinse. I don't think conditioner added to the henna after dye release rinses any easier than plain henna with conditioner used as a final rinse. I think with plain henna it has better binding qualities. I don't get any orangey pillowcases anymore after applying product now that I use pure henna and water.

DarkJoy

Yes I shouldn't post before 7 am from my phone with eyes half open. Sorry. :)

I should really edit my post for clarity.

I mix it up the night before. I slap it on by 9. I do my cleaning and errands. Then in the afternoon I rinse and dc. We watch our movies, play video games or knit. This is when I do mt mani/pedi.

I still go out and about. I put a baggie on and a hat. Monaleezza

I'm starting to do it overnight Monaleezza. I'll let the paste cure before work Thursday (I dont work Fridays). Slap it on before before bed. Put Saran Wrap on it first then a bonnet. Rinse, DC in the morning.

I always use a throw-away pillow case just in case. :)

HanaKuroi said:
My experience is that henna and plain distilled water had the brightest color and my hair curl loosening was more defined. DarkJoy told me to smooth my hair periodically while the henna was in my hair and that really elongates your curl pattern.

When I first started henna'ing I used a gloss and my liquids were green tea and coconut milk. I mixed in gbp (Sallys) after dye release. It was very smooth but I believe it was basically a conditioning treatment. It didn't cover my few grays well. I am a very thorough rinser. I use an entire bottle of conditioner and plenty of water. However after applying my m/s I would wake up with henna stained pillowcases. I stopped adding the conditioner and the staining stopped.

I recently stopped using green tea and coconut milk as my liquids. A woman from India said just use water and a squeeze of lemon. I didn't change my method then. Darkjoy doesn't use anything except water. She made a comment about other stuff interfering with the henna's sticking/coating ability. That made sense to me. I started using warm distilled water only. My experience was stronger color deposit and more curl definition.

As far as rinse out goes, I think it comes down to what type of henna you use. I use BAQ with a fine sift. I hate twigs and veins in my hair. I think the rinsing takes the same amount of time whether or not it is a gloss or plain henna.

I usually henna weekly. I have been using henna since April. I hope this helps. I use jamila, red raj(horrible sift, great color), henna for African hair and its twin.

Wow! Thank you HanaKuroi! Last week was my first time using oj in my mix with water and lemon juice and I didn't get as much color as I did before without it. I changed henna brands from Jamila to Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Twilight bc it had more lawsone content so I could get more color and I may have messed it up! So, my next batch I will be made with your advice, less is best. Thanks again for the info!

DarkJoy said:
I'm starting to do it overnight Monaleezza. I'll let the paste cure before work Thursday (I dont work Fridays). Slap it on before before bed. Put Saran Wrap on it first then a bonnet. Rinse, DC in the morning.

I always use a throw-away pillow case just in case. :)

I will try, but I did henna for a day and DC overnight.
The fear if my hair drying out worries me, so the DC is as important as the henna itself.

I henna'd this weekend, could I add indigo tonight or must I henna again first?

I have never used indigo. I also think the type of dc is important too.

I tried sleeping in henna and it drove me crazy. Ughhhhh. Also where I smashed my hair while sleeping was very tangly. It took forever to get it smooth.

henna'd on tues with black tea and a bit of amla after letting mixture sit overnight then added condish and honey. I left in for 3 hours. I think I will increase my henna treatments to biweekly instead of monthly and see how that goes.

Okay so I'm thinking of hennaing again since it's been almost a year now. I would like to know though does anyone know of any henna that has the highest lawsome content you've seen? So far I'm only seen on that has 3.22% but I would like to know if there's types out there that have a higher dye content if possible.

I did a henna treatment yesterday with Reshma Henna mixed with amla oil, black tea, and Amla and Brahmi powders. This was my first time using this brand and after I use the portion I froze, I won't purchase this brand again. It was too grainy and the hardest to rinse out of all henna brands I have tried...other than that the color is good and my hair feels ok

Back