A Girl Walks Into A Bar

Outing 4- Downtown bar. Married man bought me a drink. I didn't know he was married till after and he wasn't trying to hit on me.

Outing 5- No where to sit so I circled around and saw 2 guys seated at a table in the bar area. They invited me to join them. They talked business and we had good laughs but none were available.

Outing 6- This bar place was hyped up and I saw zero prospects. None. If this were a game of spades, there wouldn't have even been a possible.

Last edited:
I would have to leave my town to do this and I really want to.
Don't think we have happy hour in our state though.

I would have to leave my town to do this and I really want to.
Don't think we have happy hour in our state though.
Girl I'm sure some place in the state has HH :lachen:. Or did you mean the town?

Where do you live so I can make sure to never move there.
Ha!

Girrrl I am trying to move. Illionoizzzz
Umm yes plenty of places in the state with hh lol.

Do you have any chain restaurants in the area? Not my thing, but even places like Friday's has hh.

Also try other times besides hh. Why are you limiting yourself to that? I like early evenings on the weekends before it gets crowded. HH can get crowded.

Late night at a bar is fun too, when the crowd as thinned and it's mainly the regulars.

they reinstated happy hour in Illinois last year....drink up and have fun! :alcoholics:
Now I had to go look this up. I had no idea.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-happy-hour-law-0716-biz-20150715-story.html

Now that I think about this, this maybe have been the situation in VA or somewhere near here.

Personally I don't like happy hour when I'm trying a new place by myself. People go there in groups and stay in their groups. They don't move around and talk to new people. Also it's busy and harder to chat with the bartender. Then there are people constantly bumping up against you, trying to order from the bartender as you sit at the bar. That is the worst.

Yea I'm confused about what people mean when they say 'go to happy hour' do they mean sitting at the bar during happy hour? Or is there something more going on?

Yea I'm confused about what people mean when they say 'go to happy hour' do they mean sitting at the bar during happy hour? Or is there something more going on?
Just realized that OP mentioned happy hour. I assumed the thread meant going to bars by yourself in general.

Yea you gotta be a super extrovert to go alone to a bar at happy hour and be cool with it. I hate all the noise and bustle lol.

Much easier to ease into going out alone by going to bars at quieter times.

Now maybe a happy hour at a nice hotel bar, or one that attracts a slightly older crowd. I'd probably take a friend though. Just one, not a ton of 'em!

Just realized that OP mentioned happy hour. I assumed the thread meant going to bars by yourself in general.

Yea you gotta be a super extrovert to go alone to a bar at happy hour and be cool with it. I hate all the noise and bustle lol.

Now maybe a happy hour at a nice hotel bar, or one that attracts a slightly older crowd. I'd probably take a friend though. Just one, not a ton of 'em!

Idk if i've ever been to the bar during an actual happy hour. They end so soon (before 7) and I'm usually still doing errands for the day.

But the bar during happy hour: are people usually there to mix and mingle? Is it a lot different than bars during non happy hour (which I go to)? Is there anything different than just the amount of people?

(And I don't think you have to be really extroverted to go to hh. Just not shy.)

I go to happy hour for the cheaper drinks and food... Technically bars offer specials at time when nobody go to bars to entice patronage. From my experience, you will find many people who came straight from work at happy hour.

Idk if i've ever been to the bar during an actual happy hour. They end so soon (before 7) and I'm usually still doing errands for the day.

But the bar during happy hour: are people usually there to mix and mingle? Is it a lot different than bars during non happy hour (which I go to)? Is there anything different than just the amount of people?

(And I don't think you have to be really extroverted to go to hh. Just not shy.)
There are food and drink specials, usually, as Keen stated.

The mix of people is different to me. People are there right after work and stick with their groups. I don't think people mix and mingle much at all, other than within their groups.

The bar is busier and just has different vibe IMO. You can tell the difference when people are just there for the specials vs being a regular, or just looking to get out and meet new people.

There are some happy hours that end at 8, but most do end at 7. However the start at 4 which is nice when I find myself free during the day. I am a fan of any bar that has weekend happy hour too.

I go to happy hour for the cheaper drinks and food... Technically bars offer specials at time when nobody go to bars to entice patronage. From my experience, you will find many people who came straight from work at happy hour.
Yep. Cheap food is a big draw.

I'm definitely not an extrovert but I do things that scare me(like going to a bar alone) so that they don't conquer me. There are tons of bars and restaurants in my area that have specials from 4-7, so that's when I go. My February challenge will be to go to nicer restaurants and see what the crowds are like.

This is fine to do even if one's in a relationship correct? Just to meet people, expand social circles.....mmmmmayyybe to keep people on their toes? (Thinking about that wife competing thread lol).

This is fine to do even if one's in a relationship correct? Just to meet people, expand social circles.....mmmmmayyybe to keep people on their toes? (Thinking about that wife competing thread lol).
Sure, long as you and SO are cool with it.

Like OP mentioned, I meet married guys who have no ulterior motives. Just out of the house for a bit (and usually happy to be kid free for a few lol). They're happy to chat and nice enough to buy you a drink. Sidenote: Next time this happens, I'm gonna ask him about his single friends (if it's a comfortable situation to ask).

Or I meet guys who are waiting on their gf and I end up chatting with her too.

You'll make new female friends at the right places as well.

Usually the guy is pretty social anyways and the female SO isn't surprised that he made a new friend or acquaintance.

Some guys are quick to say they're married or in a relationship when you say hello. I'm like calm down, not trying to jump down your pants lol.

I said I was going to try this this year, but I also want to find a "home" bar. There's one that's really close to me that I like a lot, but I'm not sure if hanging out there is a good or bad thing.

Last edited:
Outing 7- Went back to the last place thinking that maybe something would be different. It wasn't:look: so I decided to go somewhere a bit more upscale. There was a guy seated at the bar and I sat next to him. Totally not my type however we had some laughs. The whole time I was thinking to myself, I really want him to pick up my tab. I was trying some Jedi mind tricks. I asked for the bill and as I was fumbling for my credit card, he asked me if he could pay. :eat:. I did not deny his kind gesture. I gave him my number and we have plans to meet for drinks next week.

Outing 7- Went back to the last place thinking that maybe something would be different. It wasn't:look: so I decided to go somewhere a bit more upscale. There was a guy seated at the bar and I sat next to him. Totally not my type however we had some laughs. The whole time I was thinking to myself, I really want him to pick up my tab. I was trying some Jedi mind tricks. I asked for the bill and as I was fumbling for my credit card, he asked me if he could pay. :eat:. I did not deny his kind gesture. I gave him my number and we have plans to meet for drinks next week.
Yes! Good for you.

I want to try this but Im an introvert. I'm social with people I know but introverted to strangers and I have resting ***** face hahaha. But I need to meet new people. The only friends I have in this town I work with and my s/o and I've been here 3 years almost this is sooo sad. I don't want to come off as creepy when I just want to meet new people lmao like I'm always thinking in my head I hope they don't think I'm a weirdo lmao

Now I had to go look this up. I had no idea.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-happy-hour-law-0716-biz-20150715-story.html

Now that I think about this, this maybe have been the situation in VA or somewhere near here.

Personally I don't like happy hour when I'm trying a new place by myself. People go there in groups and stay in their groups. They don't move around and talk to new people. Also it's busy and harder to chat with the bartender. Then there are people constantly bumping up against you, trying to order from the bartender as you sit at the bar. That is the worst.

:lol: I never realized this was a thing. I guess I just never missed what I never had. I thought HH just meant going to the bar after work.

ETA: Now that I'll be working FT, I have a real reason to go to HH. Before, this was around the time I woke up from my afternoon nap :look:

Back