6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Okay, I feel so stupid. I've been mixing my powders and just pouring them over my head in the shower. So, last night I decided to filter my mix. It was great. I got the same great results without the build up.
Great idea! How did you filter your tea? I've been eyeing a glass tea infuser for this very reason. I don't like the bits and grits that are left in the hair from certain powders and and hennas. I just bought a little sifter/shaker container that I'm thinking about trying next. Are you ladies literally just pouring the tea over your hair in the shower? I feel like my hair only gets 10% of the tea while my body gets 90% of the run-off. :ohwell:

Great idea! How did you filter your tea? I've been eyeing a glass tea infuser for this very reason. I don't like the bits and grits that are left in the hair from certain powders and and hennas. I just bought a little sifter/shaker container that I'm thinking about trying next. Are you ladies literally just pouring the tea over your hair in the shower? I feel like my hair only gets 10% of the tea while my body gets 90% of the run-off. :ohwell:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7169711&postcount=562

What are some good styling products, I prefer something more natural and no cons, I want something kinda creamy and not too thick,and w/o glycerin seems like my hair hates it. Thanks ladies

You might want to try Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner Imoan. These are the reasons why I use it. Although the glycerin is not a major problem for me as I live in a temperature zone that almost always has a humidity level of 65% and above. It matters when I visit my sister in Canada and some other areas of the US that I visit where the humidity is too low.

You might want to try Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner Imoan. These are the reasons why I use it. Although the glycerin is not a major problem for me as I live in a temperature zone that almost always has a humidity level of 65% and above. It matters when I visit my sister in Canada and some other areas of the US that I visit where the humidity is too low.

Hey, I too live in humidity area, (Alabama) gosh I miss San Diego, I think my hair does not mind glycerin but not all the time or too much, which I see it listed in so many products now, I tried EMB and something in it dried my hair out, think it might be the brewer's yeast. I would love to go to canada.

I steep the tea with a tea bag and water, that way I do not have to filter because the powders never actually mixed with the water. After its steeped for awhile I pour the tea into an 8oz. applicatior bottle and apply it to my scalp and hair using the bottle first and then I pour what's left over my hair (usually 2 ounces). HTH!

Hey, I too live in humidity area, (Alabama) gosh I miss San Diego, I think my hair does not mind glycerin but not all the time or too much, which I see it listed in so many products now, I tried EMB and something in it dried my hair out, think it might be the brewer's yeast. I would love to go to canada.

I'm sorry to hear this because my hair absolutely loves EMB. Canada is very nice and super clean. My sister lives there and I'm due to go up there to visiti her and her family next year hopefully.

today, I tried a wonderful mix and thus far I love it, I mixed AHSR, brahmi, KK, hib, I let it sit for 1hr rinsed it off w/warm water & TJ condish, applied coconut oil and did 15 fat twist, I unraveled 3 of the twist and I love the feel and what I seen, tomorrow is the true test when I do my hair for school :)

Today, I took down my hair and I really love the results from the above mixture even rec'd a few complements from classmates, I will be trying it again, this time think I will add fengu when I get some more, something how I knew the results would be great, due to the fact that as I was rinsing the mixture I can feel the smooth silky softness of my hair.

Last edited:
Will someone tell me where I can buy hibiscus powder from? I was going to give Ruchita another try but, don't think it'll be smart. Ayurnatural don't carry it.

Will someone tell me where I can buy hibiscus powder from? I was going to give Ruchita another try but, don't think it'll be smart. Ayurnatural don't carry it.

That's my problem too. Ayurnatural doesn't carry Fenugreek either.

I used the shikakai bar... co-washed and applied vatika oil.

Q: is the shikakai bar more drying than the powders? Plus the smell of it is sooo strong almost medicated like.

Welcome Vie!

hello finally!!!! im a newbie I've been lurking for years - partly due to procrastination. but finally joined when i saw this challenge. i have been using ayurvedic for at least 2 years and have seen the benefits that come with it. So i unofficially joined the challenge after my neighbor, a hairdresser, who was only supposed to cut long layers in hair but ending up cutting 5 inches off.

Any recipes for cassia, my mom told me today that she sees a few greys at the front on my hair..aaaaaagh so thinking of doing a cassia treatment,? does it alter the hair texture and is it safe for finer hair, Thanks help help help

Great goggle moggly, They are way cheaper than FNWL wow, I am mad now, hey do they require a certain amount $ on your order? thanks

Lol, I know I love them. Aggie put me up on them when I first joined. No they don't require a minimum.

Any recipes for cassia, my mom told me today that she sees a few greys at the front on my hair..aaaaaagh so thinking of doing a cassia treatment,? does it alter the hair texture and is it safe for finer hair, Thanks help help help

Hmmm, I have no experience with cassia Imoan but I have learned that it does leave some color deposit on gray hair, but I don't know how intense it will be though. It is safe for fine hair just as henna is and I have no idea what effect it has on the texture.

Forgot to update - did another henna yesterday. Left it on for about 6.5 hours. Grays are a nice red color. Love it! Still using henna every 3 weeks, but thinking about bumping it up to every 2 weeks.

I did another henna the other day and love my results. I mixed my henna with hot water (not boiling) and let sit for a few hours (maybe 3 or so). Washed my hair with ORS Creamy Aloe, towel dried. Then I put honey, evoo, and evco in my henna and mixed well. I applied the henna on my damp hair and put on a plastic cap. I sat under the heating cap for about 30 to 40 mins and left it on for an additional 15 mins. I rinsed, cowashed, and DC'd. My hair came out great. It is soft, strong and has a very pretty dark burgundy, auburn color to it.

I did another henna the other day and love my results. I mixed my henna with hot water (not boiling) and let sit for a few hours (maybe 3 or so). Washed my hair with ORS Creamy Aloe, towel dried. Then I put honey, evoo, and evco in my henna and mixed well. I applied the henna on my damp hair and put on a plastic cap. I sat under the heating cap for about 30 to 40 mins and left it on for an additional 15 mins. I rinsed, cowashed, and DC'd. My hair came out great. It is soft, strong and has a very pretty dark burgundy, auburn color to it.

Hi, what is evco? and what kind of henna do you use? Do you do henna for the conditioning affect,dye or both Thanks

Did 3.5hr indigo yesterday. 8 days till relaxer...can't wait! Weekly henna has kept my hair nice and strong. Did a DC with Queen Helene + herbal blend(amla, bhringraj, & brahmi) las week; I don't like how much water it makes while under the dryer. May have to try a different conditioner or just do the paste.

Back