4's---does your hair get straight in water

Brownie

4\'s---does your hair get straight in water

For those who are 4's (natural and texturized), does your hair get totally straight in water? For example, if your hair is poofy, when water first hits it, does it deflate and get almost totally straight, but as it dries it curls/waves back up? Or is this just a thing with type 3 hair? If anyone's a 3, feel free to give your input also.

Thanks in advance everyone!
cool.gif

Re: 4\'s---does your hair get straight in water

Hi Brownie
wave.gif

My type 4 hair does not. I think that's a characteristic of type 3 hair, if my memory isn't failing me. My BF has type 3 hair and when he used to grow it, that's how he said it would behave.

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:
For those who are 4's (natural and texturized), does your hair get totally straight in water? For example, if your hair is poofy, when water first hits it, does it deflate and get almost totally straight, but as it dries it curls/waves back up? Or is this just a thing with type 3 hair? If anyone's a 3, feel free to give your input also.

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair doesn't get straight. It gets considerably less bulky when soaked with water. The length goes from just below shoulders when dry to midback when sopping wet.

I'm a 3b and when my hair is wet its curly and it stays the same when it is dry.

I'm a type 4 with texturized hair that is still pretty curly---but yes my hair does get almost completely straight in water (that's why I don't have to comb my hair everyday--just let the water detangle)--but as soon it starts to dry, it gets bigger and bigger and bigger....you get the point.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair doesn't get straight. It gets considerably less bulky when soaked with water. The length goes from just below shoulders when dry to midback when sopping wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should define straight
smile.gif
. My hair doesn't get flat iron straight, but it gets less bulky like what you said. It's poofy at first, but once the water hits it, it almost instantly falls and shows the length for a few minutes, but after that, it gets bigger and bigger, until it's curly again. I'm not sure about my hair type. I think I might be a 3c/4a
look.gif

My hair does not get straight in water. The "S" pattern kind of stretches, but that's about it.

wouldnt that be a characteristic of texturised hair or 2/3a hair ?

I think so--because when I had natural hair--my hair didn't get straight in water--just "hung" more....
smile.gif

I consider myself a 3C/4a and I do not have a texturizer nor relaxer. My hair is almost bone straight when it is soaking wet and that is something that I have always thought was weird. But as it dries, can you say 'BIG HAIR!!!'

My new growth gets stretches when soaking wet and my daughter's hair (all natural) also stretches out when wet. But, it starts to shrink and get curlier as it dries. I've got waves and ringlets that I type as 4a (ringlets) and 4b (waves) although some people might say otherwise. I've seen some type the waves as 3 but I don't do that.

Mine does the same thing (even before texturizing). It's very happy in water. I still have the natural wave in my hair, but it slicks back and tricks me into thinking I could wash and wear. I have also noticed that I get some of my bulk back once I comb through it, even while still under the water, but it's nothing like when it starts to dry.

I've "typed" my hair as 3c/4a. And I typed based on my natural hair texture, rather than it's processed texture.

Mine is straighter when wet but still has a wavy pattern.

No mine doesn't get straight. It just stretches, so that I can manipulate it better.

4a here, with 2 answers for ya:
1. When my hair was relaxed, YES it got absolutely straight. But it was straight dry too- i guess my hair was always bone straight. This was why I was confused when I kept hearing how relaxed heads were afraid of the rain and expressing their fear of water because my own hair would neither poof nor curl or frizz up after water touched it. It would dry sleek and nearly straight, sometimes with a slight wave at the ends, sometimes not.
2. But natural/texturized, when wet, my hair cannot straighten, instead, would stretch out some and form perfect curls, but if left to dry would poof up and retain few curls when natural, more curls texturized.

yep my hair gets softer and straighter at first, but when it starts to dry........... you better watch out , it starts to feel like a brillo pad
angeldevil.gif

My hair has too many textures, anywhere from 2-4. It has a tendency to go into these pretty loose waves when sopping wet, then morph into some crazy wave/curl/straight/frizz- thing!

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair does exactly that and I'm a 4 natural
my hair doesn't get bone straight but it gets
8 month old perm straight
crazy.gif

here are 2 pix of my hair when semi dry
I hope you guys can see them.

f8f08d13.jpg

f8f08d18.jpg

Well mine is straight in water but when I air dry it, it gets slightly curly.

I have different textures, some part get wavy and some parts form curls.It stretches out and hangs a little, but it does not get straight. When I was relaxed(more like texturized) it went into looser waves when wet, almost straight, but curled up when it dried.

Some of my hair gets straight, some stay the same and some of it has the texturized look.

Back