4b relaxed long hair isnt possible?

YvonneL

Somewhat discouraged. I see alot of long haired 4a's.What about us 4bs'? Is it harder to maintain .Im newly texlaxed after 2 years and it seems like I get alot of matting and shedding now that im in my 8th week of stretching?Would bone straight help? I know -alot of questions but im still new and trying to learn. I wash once a week. Moisture with s curl and alma oil and i feel like I dont know how to comb my hair. Any suggestions.

yes there are 4b's with long hair:yep:
queeny has almost waist length hair and many others
i couldn't tell you much about combing but you should only comb your new growth on wet hair and make sure you detangle with lots of conditioner to create that slip for easy detangling

Somewhat discouraged. I see alot of long haired 4a's.What about us 4bs'? Is it harder to maintain .Im newly texlaxed after 2 years and it seems like I get alot of matting and shedding now that im in my 8th week of stretching?Would bone straight help? I know -alot of questions but im still new and trying to learn. I wash once a week. Moisture with s curl and alma oil and i feel like I dont know how to comb my hair. Any suggestions.

I am so sorry that you are having such trouble:nono: I know that's discouraging. I'm not text/texlax so i know that I won't be much help, but there are many here who are and they stretch and have apl or bsl. I would just do a search for threads on Texlaxing and see what you come up with. I am sure that many here will respond and help you too!

I recently saw a Fotki with a 4b women with thick hair to her waist. It wasn't relaxed it was just pressed with a flat iron. So it's possible.

It's possible even though I don't get into the whole hair typing thing. It just doesn't make since to me but if you take care of your hair it will grow. Now me myself, I can't go no longer than 8 weeks for my relaxer. My hair start popping. My new growth comes in so dry and stays dry no matter how much I moisturize.

There's lots of 4b relaxed women on this board that have long hair :spinning:. I started out with chin length and now I'm working my way to bra strap length. It's definitely possible with lots of TLC (Tender Loving Care) :yep:.

girl i feel your pain. Just hang in there and keep working at it. Don't let the little set backs get to you. Remember you've got all the lovelies on here.

Being a 4b myself, i can say that the best things that have really helped my hair are: NOT combing my wet hair. Believe it or not, wet combing does not really work for everyone. I am one of those exceptions.

Combing my hair no more than once a week. i got this tip from one of my college buddies, and it's my mantra now.

I will not recommend bone straight because if you're 4b, there are already lots of unique things about our hair. I just dont see a need to add one more complexity in the form of weak breaking strands. I have however, seen some people achieve length with bone straight relaxers. So ultimately, it may not be a bad idea. You just need to know your hair.

But as usual, what works for one person, may not work for the other. So dont be afraid to experiment. With some patience, and caution, you CAN have swanging hair :yep:

:hug:

Hi Yvonnel, although I don't understand the hair types well (hence not sure of mine :grin:), I have seen ladies on here with hair ranging from really nappy curls to looser curls with long hair, so don't be discouraged!

You can fins how to gently comb you hair here: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/combbrush.html

The lady that owns the site noted above, Robyn, says her hair is 4B and she gets a lye relaxer every 6 months.

I think Sylver2 is a 4b and she is on her way to waist length. Dsylla, ZZIrving, Lauren450....I beleive are all 4bs. And there are many more.

I used to get a lot of matting and shedding also. Girl, I know how frustrating it is.

First, I started prepooing faithfully. With oil, sometimes mixed w/condish, honey, coconut milk. Concentrated on new growth to help soften.

Second, paying more attention to my porosity. I now incorporate Roux Porosity Control after my DCs. I alternate this with my Dominican rinse, Capilo's Sole and Cinnamon's rinse. Helps the cuticle to lay flat, and easier to comb.

Third, Comb only when hair is wet. Detangle the best when I have condish or a rinse in...directly under the showerhead.

Fourth, steam treatments every now and then also help.

Fifth, find styles that you can maintain, w/o the need to comb in between washes: rollersets, spiral sets, etc. I handle my hair in sections only, when I do everything, to tackle combing with ease, and I have found this is the BEST way to comb. Also, if you find the right styles, they usually can keep up well with no or low manipulation, and if they do require combing, a wide tooth comb, gently in sections will do....but no need to comb all the way from root to ends, if you do not have to 'cause that is just asking for trouble. Comb enough to get the style to look coifed, and go about your business. And learn to just leave it alone otherwise.

Thanks ladies for the encouraging words and representing. I guess I need to re-learn what works for my hair.I Appreciate it!I think thats what always happens to me. I start to get frustrated with dealing with my own hair so I wind up braiding it and transitioning and going in circles. Literally braids for 2 years and perm then right back to braids, sometimes within a week!Im always not sure what I want to do so i'll keep at it.:driver:

There's lots of 4b relaxed women on this board that have long hair :spinning:. I started out with chin length and now I'm working my way to bra strap length. It's definitely possible with lots of TLC (Tender Loving Care) :yep:.
ITA - 4b's have to figure out what works, and that's moisture moisture moisture...and low mani at time, protective styling, wet combing with conditioner only, etc. A lot of the care info is on this board.

I think Sylver2 is a 4b and she is on her way to waist length. Dsylla, ZZIrving, Lauren450....I beleive are all 4bs. And there are many more.

I used to get a lot of matting and shedding also. Girl, I know how frustrating it is.

First, I started prepooing faithfully. With oil, sometimes mixed w/condish, honey, coconut milk. Concentrated on new growth to help soften.

Second, paying more attention to my porosity. I now incorporate Roux Porosity Control after my DCs. I alternate this with my Dominican rinse, Capilo's Sole and Cinnamon's rinse. Helps the cuticle to lay flat, and easier to comb.

Third, Comb only when hair is wet. Detangle the best when I have condish or a rinse in...directly under the showerhead.

Fourth, steam treatments every now and then also help.

Fifth, find styles that you can maintain, w/o the need to comb in between washes: rollersets, spiral sets, etc. I handle my hair in sections only, when I do everything, to tackle combing with ease, and I have found this is the BEST way to comb. Also, if you find the right styles, they usually can keep up well with no or low manipulation, and if they do require combing, a wide tooth comb, gently in sections will do....but no need to comb all the way from root to ends, if you do not have to 'cause that is just asking for trouble. Comb enough to get the style to look coifed, and go about your business. And learn to just leave it alone otherwise.
This is super fantastic advice!! All of it, for me especially about porosity...I use Nexxus Ensure or anything with a low low pH after DCing...this is vital. I also use Sebastian Cellopahines they help give a protective coating to my cuticle and clear can be used for shine.

I really love your styling advise as well!

I have a ton of 4b hair and my hair grows just fine. I don't have any new back shots of my hair but it's past BSL when it's straight.

Back