4b Naturals...do you use a detangler?

SpyCats

As my hair gets longer it gets more and more difficult to separate sectioned hair to twist. I normally air-dry my hair in twists and as I'm separating the hair in two sections to twist it is actually tangling and won't separate easily (I hope that all made sense).

So, I was wondering if any of you use a spray detangler, if so, does it work?

TIA for your responses.

I used to use Mane and Tail spray detangler which was okay, but now my hair and me are in love with Cowboy Magic. There is a good sized thread about it. I believe Coffee was the first to post about it. That stuff is AMAZING. I used it this weekend for rebraiding my hair.

It's not a spray, but more of a gel-like consisitency. It's actually a horse product (it's safe for human use) and I had to go to the horse feed store for purchase. Do a search for Cowboy Magic and a thread should pop up. HTH

For detangling I normally use a leave-in (Giovanni makes a good one, Rusk Smoother is a good one, NTM Silk Touch is a good one, & Silken Child by Silk Elements I believe.. also works). Hayashi System 911 Mist is my fav though (slight protein). All of these I mentioned work great for detangling, with these products, only minimal combing is necessary, and my hair doesn't wind up feeling weighed down. HTH

I use Cowboy Magic if I want to detangle. I also use it if I flat iron my hair. Someone said it basically has the same ingredients as chi silk infusion, but its less expensive per ounce.

Spray leave ins don't work to detangle my hair. I have to use a a cream. Giovanni Direct Leave In works well. I put it throughout my hair and than section a piece and add some more giovanni direct leave in to to section that piece and start twisting.

Also Africa's Best Kid's Organics Hair and Scalp Remedy is a thick cream, that comes in a jar that I use to twist my hair. Really moisturizing. It has great ingredients too.

I don't use a detangler, at all.

You say you airdry in twists - are you having difficulties with your hair detangling while it's still wet/damp and you are twisting it to airdry, or is this after your hair has dried and you are parting it to twist it into your 'dry' style?

I use cream detanglers: Frederic Fekkai Instant detangler:lick: & John Masters citrus&neroli detangler. I tried Body Shop Bilberry Colour Protect Detangler (spray) but it just dried my hair out:nono:.

I don't use a detangler, at all.

You say you airdry in twists - are you having difficulties with your hair detangling while it's still wet/damp and you are twisting it to airdry, or is this after your hair has dried and you are parting it to twist it into your 'dry' style?

Yes to the bolded.

Part of my regimen is detangling in the shower with a shower comb with loads of conditioner. It used to be easy to just separate the hair with my fingers to twist (while wet/damp) without having to use a comb again. That isn't the case anymore.

I use coconut oil to detangle once I'm out of the shower. I find that since it lubricates the hair, it makes it easier for me.

Yes to the bolded.

Part of my regimen is detangling in the shower with a shower comb with loads of conditioner. It used to be easy to just separate the hair with my fingers to twist (while wet/damp) without having to use a comb again. That isn't the case anymore.

Gotcha, gotcha!

Is it velcro like hair - kinda sticking together? Have you tried the salt in conditioner/KiyaFizzle treatment and/or acidic rinses? Or is it just 'shrinking' back up, and retangling onto itself?

Gotcha, gotcha!

Is it velcro like hair - kinda sticking together? Have you tried the salt in conditioner/KiyaFizzle treatment and/or acidic rinses? Or is it just 'shrinking' back up, and retangling onto itself?

LOL!!! That's exactly how it is! As I'm separating the hair it's coming together below my fingers.

No detangler BUT when I use shea butter on my wet hair, it combs through much easier and after it's dry it's still tangle free.

LOL!!! That's exactly how it is! As I'm separating the hair it's coming together below my fingers.

I really love my Kid's Organics for this exact problem. I smooth this on the hair section that I want to twist. Than I separate and this just makes it super easily to pull the hair apart to twist.
Kids_Grease_Africas-Best-Protein-&-Vitamin_MED.jpg

Now if you are having problems separating even a big part of your hair than you probably need a different conditioner.

TJ Nourish Spa Conditioner and Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner AMAZING DETANGLERS!

ACV Rinse...WOW! My hair instantly soften after using this and I was having like 3 weeks of dry rough ends. When I did this ACV Rinse it was beautiful. And I was able to go back to using my other conditioners.

And of course ORS Replenishing Pak is great at moisturizing the hair and making it easy to detangle.

I don't use detangler either. I just cowash in the shower and leave all of the conditioner in. I then step out of the shower and and take a small section of hair and detangle with my denman brush. as soon as that section is detangled I twist it and move on tho the next section. once my whole head is done in twists I put as plastic cap on to do a deep condish and then rinse out, still in twist, an hour later. I pat dry the twists and apply my mousturizer and let the twist air dry. Next morning I wear a twist out.

I do this every few days and I never have issues with tangles. HTH

I use coconut oil to detangle once I'm out of the shower. I find that since it lubricates the hair, it makes it easier for me.

:yep:

I use evoo.

Get some oil. :) It makes wet/damp hair very lubricated and slippery.

before i wash out my dc, i section the hair and use my goody brush. rinse in the shower then apply condish (wait a few mins) and use my jilbre comb.

after towel drying i use my ors carrot oil in sectioned hair and braid immediately... air drying is not for me.

Last edited:
I use a drop or 2 of whatever is my latest oil concoction per section after the wash..

I find co-washing in loose braids leaves fewer tangles than washing in twists.

Since we get water from a well, I don't detangle in the shower, too much water. I keep a spray bottle of water w/ a few drops of lavender ess. oil handy to keep it wet as I detangle.

I use a drop or 2 of whatever is my latest oil concoction per section after the wash..

I find co-washing in loose braids leaves fewer tangles than washing in twists.

Since we get water from a well, I don't detangle in the shower, too much water. I keep a spray bottle of water w/ a few drops of lavender ess. oil handy to keep it wet as I detangle.

wow! you have A LOT of hair! Do you have an album?
Lys

wow! you have A LOT of hair! Do you have an album?
Lys

NO I don't :ohwell:. But thanks for asking. I never expected it to get to this point. It's so tight and fine and use to break easily. This was my first length measure picture since joining 2 years ago. I really wished I had done one.

I've always just used conditioner to detangle, but this aloe vera gel & coconut oil concoction sounds good.

OT: SpyCats & Loveygram; I'm going to need both of you to make an album for your LHCF profile page at the least. :grin:

Back