4b hair fed up.can't style the hair.

bettytoo

hi I've got 4b hair. And I'm fed up.I can't style my hair that well.I hate little twist's their look to short. I really like kanerow's .But I'm not very good at it. I just wish I could kanerow my hair really small.It looks really good.I've been growing my hair for three year's And it's only 9 inches long.Is anyone else fed up.I don't want a relaxer because I hate straight hair on me. But i wish i was better at styling my hair.

bettytoo said:
hi I've got 4b hair. And I'm fed up.I can't style my hair that well.I hate little twist's their look to short. I really like kanerow's .But I'm not very good at it. I just wish I could kanerow my hair really small.It looks really good.I've been growing my hair for three year's And it's only 9 inches long.Is anyone else fed up.I don't want a relaxer because I hate straight hair on me. But i wish i was better at styling my hair.

I think your canerows are beautiful and they seem small to me. I am envious as I can't canerow to save my life.

BettyToo, I truly sympathize with you. THAT is the reason why did not last long as a natural last year. :( While my hair was very healthy, I could not find anything to do with it that satisified MY sense of style. There are quite a few naturals here who are very good at styling their hair, I know they'll be in here to help you out in no time!

Good luck!

There are always options. :)

1. You can get a braid video like by Braids By Breslin and learn how to braid and cornrow (canerow) better. Most folks says it just takes a lot of practice more than any unique talent. I cannot braid or cornrow yet, but I'll be learning over the summer.

2. Get your hair braided or cornrowed by someone else, and ask them for tips/assistance. Often people are willing to help (even if for a little fee).

3. At 9", your hair should look cute in twists. I have 6" of hair, and I can wear twists--I just have to make them smaller, since my hair is shorter. CountryGal has the perfect example of how small twists can look fabulous on hair your length.

4. When all else fails 4b hair is made to wear shrunken fros and afro puffs--and when I don't have time to do some new style-into a headband puff it goes. I used to wear my hair in a ponytail everyday when I was relaxed, so it's not a big deal for me to wear my hair in a headband puff daily if I need to. Adding accessories is also a way to wear the same style but make it look different everyday.

You may have delicate hair--make sure your hair stays extremely well moisturized. You might be a slow hair grower, but I'd check to see if there are other problems too--like your diet, excercise, or your hair routine. My hair grows a little slower than average, and I have 5"-7" of hair in a year and six weeks of growth. I CW twice weekly-daily and I'm a moisture junkie. I don't do protective styles though.

Well for what it's worth, I think your hair is beautiful and nine inches of natural hair is a lot of hair (to me anyway). In your fotki you said you had worn braids off and on for 2 1/2 years and just went cold turkey in December. So you have really only been dealing with your natural hair day in and day out for like 4 months. That is not very long. The braids probably may have dried your hair out a bit too and you still may not be seeing your true texture. So hang in there, you'll figure it out in time.

I tried braids And its broken my hairline.so I'm trying to stay away from them.I was getting addicted. I don't let people touch my hair .They are alway's harsh with it.And I've found that most people hate dealing with 4b hair.
I like afro puff's but i want a change.I really don't like twist's on me my hair's to short.
I know what my hair's like I've been natural from 14 to 23.And then got a relaxer for ten month's .Then grew it out.So I know my hair.I just wish I was better at kanerow's. I'll think I'll try again with the kanerow's. But it doesn't help seeing all those homegrown african chick's with nice micro thin kanerow's runing around all over the place.Makes me sick with jealosy. love bettytoo. Gon't go and kanerow.love bettytoo

Last edited:
bettytoo said:
I tried braids And its broken my hairline.so I'm trying to stay away from them.I don't let people touch my hair .They are alway's harsh with it.And I've found that most people hate dealing with 4b hair.
I like afro puff's but i want a change.I really don't like twist's on me my hair's to short.
I know what my hair's like I've been natural from 14 to 23.And then got a relaxer for ten month's .Then grew it out.So I'm use to my natural hair.I just wish I was better at kanerow's.I'll think I'll try again with the kanerow's.

I understand. People tend to be the most harsh with hair that needs the most care. I'm sure you'll get past this hump. Good luck with the kanerows.:)

bettytoo, are you based in London? I have a really great natural hairdresser who braided my hair until it reached waistlength, she is very gentle with hair, and her hairstyles are awesome, PM me if you want her number. her prices reasonable too.

bettytoo said:

Hi Bettytoo,

I just checked out your photo album and my hair is very identical to yours, the texture and length. I've been growing mine out for about 3 years also. I can't really give you much advice because I'm in the same situation. I finally found products to make my hair feel good, but I cannot style it for the life of me. I don't have the patience for twists (plus I want mine to hang at least to my chin). The short twists look cute on other women, but it just won't work with my big basketball head. Yeah, I'm fed up too, but that's why in the meanwhile I've been wearing a sew-in kinky weave to simulate long nappy hair. I think pretty soon I'm going to experiment with different sized rollers and different products to see what effect I'll get.

BTW, I like the picture with the two french braids. It's a cute style on you and its very seems to be very low maintenance.

When I first went natural, I couldn't cornrow at all, but with time and patience, I got there. You just need to take some time and play with your hair, and fun experiement and see what suits you.

How about using some scarves? You can do a lot of things with the long rectangular ones and I think they look great with any hairstyle.

Back