4As/Bs and Waves

alwayzalady22

every time i look in 4A/B fotkis, i always see these buns with beautiful waves...honestly, before i got to lhcf, i didn't know our curl pattern could wave up like that (maybe i'm just slow)....whenever i bun, i try and get all of my hair pulled back tightly so it'll be flat and hopefully wave, but it just poofs up and looks an ugly mess :( 4As/Bs, how do you get those waves in your hair? is there a certain product/technique you use? help!

It depends on your hair. I don't think 4b hair has a curl pattern. Mines waves up with just water but by the end of the day it'll get fuzzy and some of the shorter pieces will come down if I don't use any product in it. So I usually slick it back while it's wet with a gel or heavy conditioner.

I usually wet my hair with water and brush my hair back. It usually waves up as soon as I brush it back. I will use gel to keep it slick down. My coworker uses a scarf, but I have not tried that. I have some pictures of my hair brushed back in my album.

My edges are 4b...and it does not wave at all...not even a little bit...lol. But maybe I haven't found the right product.

Like Bmore said, I think it just depends on your hair. My hair waves/coils as soon as water hits it, and when I pull it back, I usually tie it down with a scarf to straighten my edges a little bit. I have waves then. I think the scarf helps.

thanks for all the responses, ladies! tomorrow's wash day, so i'm gonna prepoo with some coconut milk and lime to loosen up my curls some, wash, spray with s-curl, and see if i can coax some waves outta my head! :) i'll report back tomorrow with the results!

I usually mist my hair with water, and some Let's Jam gel..(this most defintly makes my hair wave and defines it...plus it softens) then to make the waves out of control I tie the front of my hair down with a scarf for a couple of minutes...then wa la (or however you spell that!)

My hair gets a little crinkly when it gets wet; I get pretty good waves from large bantu knots.

Bymoreflyygirl, your Senagalese twists are beautiful! :)

alwayzalady22 said:
every time i look in 4A/B fotkis, i always see these buns with beautiful waves...honestly, before i got to lhcf, i didn't know our curl pattern could wave up like that (maybe i'm just slow)....whenever i bun, i try and get all of my hair pulled back tightly so it'll be flat and hopefully wave, but it just poofs up and looks an ugly mess :( 4As/Bs, how do you get those waves in your hair? is there a certain product/technique you use? help!

Provided you already have some curl pattern, if you sleek your hair with some gel (or sleeking your hair while wet with leave-in conditioner or some other styling lotion), brush it down with a boa bristle brush (100%) and the put on a silk scarf for 5-10 minutes. This works for me.

Some hair textures have no wave pattern. There is a patch on hair in the front of my head that will not wave up at all. When I comb it back, it just stays straight. Yes, it can be very frustrating.

alright ladies, so i took everyone's advice and tried to get some waves when i washed my hair this morning...the results? mixed, to say the least...the good news is that my hair, despite the mega shrinkage, is now long enough to put in a bun while my hair is sopping wet (thank you, jesus!)....the bad news is, i only have a strip of curl pattern in the middle of my head going from the front to the back, like a skunk :perplexed i even did the coconut and lime thingy as a prepoo, and that ish didn't help any either! :ohwell: ::shrugs:: my scarf has been on for over an hour now, and still, no more waves...guess i'm gonna have to give up that dream ;) thank you ladies for trying to help me out, i'll just have to be content with this new growth i've discovered....:look:

Hi there SOROR :)

Have you tried Fantasia IC Gel with Sparklites yet?? That really does bring out waves.
alwayzalady22 said:
alright ladies, so i took everyone's advice and tried to get some waves when i washed my hair this morning...the results? mixed, to say the least...the good news is that my hair, despite the mega shrinkage, is now long enough to put in a bun while my hair is sopping wet (thank you, jesus!)....the bad news is, i only have a strip of curl pattern in the middle of my head going from the front to the back, like a skunk :perplexed i even did the coconut and lime thingy as a prepoo, and that ish didn't help any either! :ohwell: ::shrugs:: my scarf has been on for over an hour now, and still, no more waves...guess i'm gonna have to give up that dream ;) thank you ladies for trying to help me out, i'll just have to be content with this new growth i've discovered....:look:

All I gotta say is ya'll heifalumps in this thread sho got some purty curly/coily hair. I wanna cut some heads off and attach to my head from seeing all this prettiness. :lachen:

I also think it depends on the hair. After being without a relaxer for over a year, I realized that some parts of my hair are 3 someting while others are 4a. I have some shots of my new growth in my fotki and there are waves for days, but I didn't do anything to get them. I put a scarf on, and when I remove it, I have the Pacific Ocean. :lol:

After I wash, I add a little leave in and a little oil to seal, then I put on a scarf and when I remove it, there are waves everywhere. I'm not sure if there's a product that would encourage waves per se, but I'm sure there are some that would encourage definition of texture which would in turn aid in the appearance of waves. Vatika oil gives me lots of shine & softness which makes my waves more inviting, IMO.

firecracker said:
All I gotta say is ya'll heifalumps in this thread sho got some purty curly/coily hair. I wanna cut some heads off and attach to my head from seeing all this prettiness. :lachen:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: LMAO....heifalumps...I LOVE IT!!!!

cupcake said:
Hi there SOROR :)

Have you tried Fantasia IC Gel with Sparklites yet?? That really does bring out waves.

hey soror! i tried that way in the beginning of my hair journey, and it didn't work out that well...now that i know more, and my hair is longer, i'm gonna bust that out again and see if it works! :p

yeah, what i'm thinking is that i need more definition...there is some wave action, but it's not all shiny and ish like i see other folks'...i use vatika all the time, maybe on friday when i cowash i'll moisturize, seal with vatika, and then do the gel and scarf business....kk, another update coming on friday! :cool:

Depends on hair type. If you have them, you have them, and you know it. I can do nothing (no scarf, no gel, no brush) to my hair and it still would be wavy when I pull it back. I have combed all the curls/waves out of my hair and pulled it back for the night. In the night, as soon as my hair soaked up some moisture, it was wavy again in the morning, which has been frustrating on occasion when I wanted my hair to look different. I like Afro puffs, but I have to comb my hair a great deal to get a full, poofy puff because my curls like to hang, so I comb all the curls out and put my hair up; as soon as my hair picks up some moisture, the ends curls up on my Afro puff again. So, my whole point being, if you hair does something---it will do what it is going to do without a great deal of manipulation. For me, it has been easiest to just do what my hair wants to do naturally and not try to change it too much.

Also I think the shine you're seeing in people's pictures is from the flash on their camera. Natural type 4 hair does not shine. But it does have a sheen when pulled taught. Just something to think about...

I would suggest using IC gel w/sparklites clear if the blue doesn't work for your hair, brushing the hair back into a pony and tie the hair down tightly with a scarf for a while. You should come out with lots of waves. :)

Back