4a/b Naturals: Miss Jessie's Vs. Kinky Curly

Which Is Better For Culr Definition & Manageability?

• Miss Jessie's

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Kinky Curly

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kbragg

Well my TWA is growing out pretty fast, but it extremely dry and I'm starting to have breakage. Also, I have loads of curl definition when soaking wet or with conditioner in it, but my curls turn into poof city when they dry. I was looking at the Miss Jessie's site and ordered the 2 oz of the curly pudding and the baby butter cream to test it out, but then I saw someone else list Kinky Curly in another thread. I see the price is a lot less than Miss Jessie's Curly pudding, but does it give the same results?

Please vote and post feedback!

I have only tried the KCCC and I used it incorrectly. I little bit goes a long way with this product, so it is not only less expensive, it is definitely more for your money. The ladies on this board that use it as a staple say that it is the "ONLY" product that they can sleep with and just fluff the next day. So I would say definitely use the Knot Today or some other leave-in beforehand and even dilute the custard with a little water if need be.

Back in the day I used Miss Jessies curly pudding. Then it didn't have mineral oil in it. It was expensive, but the jar lasted months-- and my curls were the joint.

I tried KCCC twice-- once after I BC'd (gave it away) and once recently (gave it away). I just can't get with the consistency...but the Knot Today is GREAT for adding moisture and detangling.

Again, I can't comment on MJ's new formulation...but the stuff was great 3 years ago.

I currently have both...and not really thrilled with either one of them.
But if I had to choose....I'd go with KCCC.

I suggest you try out both lines and see which one you like the best.

I use both with good results. I started out with MJ during my transition. My stables from MJ are Curly Meringue and Baby Butter cream. I also have the "old" formulas of both. I stocked up on the 1st BOGO.

Back in November I decided to try out KCCC and found it works better than MJ for daily styling. The biggest difference I found with KCCC is that the products keep my hair moisturized and absorbs easily into my hair. I also have great success layering MJ Curlly Meringue over KCCC. I do this often for slicking my hair back for puffs.

I use KCCC and Knot Today weekly. Now I only use the MJ products periodically or when I run out my KCCC procuts. I also use Spiral spray periodically and just purchased the Come Clean shampoo. I will try that out over the weekend.

One more thing, KCCC products are all natural. MJ products now contain some mineral oil and other synthetic ingredients. My hair can tolerate petroleum etc to a certain degree. As long has I don't use them on the regular. I typically use my MJ products once a month (more in the summer) and follow up with a sulfate shampoo and deep conditioner.

I hope this info is helpful to you.

:sunshine:

I've use both and much prefer KCC to Curly Pudding. With KCC a little goes a very long way and I can get fourth day hair which is a big deal to me when I'm trying to limit manipulation. I've never used the Knot Today detangler, I just use my regular detangler.

I also use MJ Baby Buttercreme from time to time. It is a decent moisturizer but IMO it is entirely too expensive.

Hope this helps!

THanks ladies! Well I'm sure glad I only got the 2oz sizes:D I also got the quick curls for my daughter's hair, but it seems like Kinky Curly is the way to go!

I have only tried Miss Jessie's, but the Curly Pudding only defined the curls in the 4a sections of my hair and didn't do much for the 4b sections.

I've only used Miss Jessies curly pudding...can't wait to try KCCC. I like Miss Jessies products, I just ordered two more samples (curly meringue & butter creme).

I have tried both. They give different results IMO. KCCC gives a moisturized feel, yet the look of a jherri curl. If you like the wet-look, then try the KCCC. MJ Curly pudding gives fatter curls/less definition. I use both intermittently depending on how I want my coils/kinks to look. HTH.

i just used this today. i'm 4a/b as well. the kccc went on super easy. just like the curly pudding imo. my hair is drying right now and looks cute, but i used too much so my hair looks like i have a jheri curl going on...i also have these little sticky sections which look like clear boogers...think rubber cement.

so, i'm going to wet my hair tomorrow and wash some of it out with just water and reactivate it that way to see what happens.

the application was a breeze though...see pics on my blog.

I loved MJ curly pudding when my hair was shorter and I love it now for twist-outs. I'm not sure how to use kccc, whats your process ladies, b'c it just sits on my hair.

Well I'm 3c and 4a so I will comment. I used KCCC three days ago, but I think I used too much, my hair got crunchy and sticky, and it still seemed a bit dry looking when it dried, but now after reading the comments I will dilute it or not use a lot and I'll use the Knot Today first.

I am doing my Miss Jessie's today. I did the Miss Jessie's cleanser, now I'm using the Recovery Treatment, and then I'll be using some curling cremes, because I'm really trying to find something that works for me.

I have a question, do you ladies mix and match products or use the whole line in order?

PS. I'm not sure if I like the fact that MJ has Alcohol in it.....

I loved MJ curly pudding when my hair was shorter and I love it now for twist-outs. I'm not sure how to use kccc, whats your process ladies, b'c it just sits on my hair.

I learned how to apply KCCC by watching the you tube application video. Her name is St8isis. She is funny too:grin:. One other one is good too but I don't remember her name. She sectioned her hair off from the back and applied the KCCC one row at a time.

I have only tried KCCC and I was not impressed. My curls were not defined and my hair was very sticky to the touch, I think I might have used it wrong. I have however, seen beautiful results on others.

I learned how to apply KCCC by watching the you tube application video. Her name is St8isis. She is funny too:grin:. One other one is good too but I don't remember her name. She sectioned her hair off from the back and applied the KCCC one row at a time.

Thanks because every time I use it I get a hard, crusty disaster.

oops, I just realized that this post was meant for types 4a/b ! Still though, I have to say, for me, it wasn't worth the money. I'll probably try it out one more time before I completely disregard it.

I'm a long term transitioner but my sister is a full natural. We had a 20th anniversary celebration we had to go to and she bought a curly wig to wear. I asked why she didn't try KCCC and she had never heard of it. I was in my car in fifteen minutes and hit three Ricky stores in Manhattan before I found it (that bad boy and the Knot Today was sold out everywhere.). I HAD to try it on her 3C/4A hair (somebody's got to be the guinea pig:grin:). I put the knot today in and it detangled her hair like it was nothing. then I added the custard. I was initially suprised at the consistency, but I kept applying it to sections of her hair.

This chick loved the results so much she rocked a frohawk to the party and my god it was a hit. It lasted a few days on her. I am totally gonna give it a go after the BC.

sorry, I didn't post pics, but will do so when I have a moment to figure out my camera.

Back