4 a/b hair types do you strech pass 12wks?

femalegold

4 a/b hair types do you stretch pass 12wks?
If you do how has it been for you. I'm at week 10 and trying to go until Dec 31. I wear half wigs and wash my hair once a week. I thinking about doing con washes but I'm afraid of to much manipilation on my hair. My hair is currently shedding any suggestions for this. I know its alot of questions. But, I need some help. I'm trying to grow long thick strong hair.:) Thank you in advance.

femalegold said:
4 a/b hair types do you stretch pass 12wks?
If you do how has it been for you. I'm at week 10 and trying to go until Dec 31. I wear half wigs and wash my hair once a week. I thinking about doing con washes but I'm afraid of to much manipilation on my hair. My hair is currently shedding any suggestions for this. I know its alot of questions. But, I need some help. I'm trying to grow long thick strong hair.:) Thank you in advance.

Not without braids or a sew-in. When i just wear my hair out, i usually go every 10 weeks or so.

i tend to go 12-16 weeks.... i cowash daily when i don't have a blowout and that gets me through the later weeks...

I tried, last go around I made it to 11 weeks. I went 13 once but my hair was shedding and I looked crazy. My NG was really tight and nappy, then my ends were silky. I had a lil kim going on... lol

Now I go 10 - 11 weeks.

I usually stretch anywhere from 16 to 18 weeks. After week 12 I braid it up and start wear half wigs. I wash it once a week. It is easier to detangle when I use my shower comb while letting the shower water run through my hair.
I also use the Matrix Sleek Look (steps 1,2,&3) after week 12. This really helps me out, too. Hope this helps:)

Well I'm 13 weeks post as of today (hurray for me). First time ever stretching this long and so far so good. I cowash on either tuesday and wednesday or wednesday and thursday (depending on if I have to work at my 2nd job) and I make sure to dc after every wash. I shampoo on Sundays with a dc as well. I airdry in a pony. I don't remember who I got the idea of puttin my hair in a pony under running water, but that helps a bunch! I add my ntm, s-curl and oils and I'm good to go after I slap my silk scarf on.

HTH!

This will be my first stretch without braids/sewn-ins, and I'm hoping to make it beyond 10 weeks. so far i've had no shedding, and I'm 3 weeks beyond the time when I'd normally relax (when I had unhealthy practices).

So good luck to you. tips from the other ladies who go beyond 10-12weeks?

Miss.Que said:
I usually stretch anywhere from 16 to 18 weeks. After week 12 I braid it up and start wear half wigs. I wash it once a week. It is easier to detangle when I use my shower comb while letting the shower water run through my hair.
I also use the Matrix Sleek Look (steps 1,2,&3) after week 12. This really helps me out, too. Hope this helps:)

I doing this now and yes this helps alot thank you.:)

SummerRain said:
This will be my first stretch without braids/sewn-ins, and I'm hoping to make it beyond 10 weeks. so far i've had no shedding, and I'm 3 weeks beyond the time when I'd normally relax (when I had unhealthy practices).

So good luck to you. tips from the other ladies who go beyond 10-12weeks?

Thank you!

KiniKakes said:
Not without braids or a sew-in. When i just wear my hair out, i usually go every 10 weeks or so.

10 Weeks is the longest you go? Do you think goign any longer would be beneficial? I am thinking about cutting down my stretch. It's just too much.

4 a/b here. I stretch for a max of 12 weeks. On the stretching tip, I really don't think that stretching is a "growth" aid per se. I think the purpose of a stretch (correct me if I'm wrong ladies) is to prevent relaxer overlap, which weakens the hair. So if you get the normal 1/2 inch per month, at 12 weeks, new growth should be 1 1/2 inches. Plenty for the stylist to work with.

The question I always ask is, is it worth the marathon stretch if your hair is falling out? Your hair is still growing at the same pace, but the shedding is possibly making it thinner. And I'm not knocking any stretchers here. As we always say, what works for one person may not work for you. Some people can go way past 12 weeks. I'm not one of them. I've read plenty of threads from ladies who get their hair touched up every 8-10 weeks and their length/health doesn't seem to be suffering from it.

The longest I have stretched was 10 weeks after that ng just takes over. I am currently shooting for 12 weeks this time:)

Last edited:
I would stretch 10-12 weeks. This was usually because I was tired of the extra work to maintain my hair, not due to shedding issues. I increased my stretch time gradually from 6 weeks, to 8 weeks, then 10-12 depending on how much new growth I had. I learned tricks on how comb my hair during the last 4 weeks such as spraying my new growth with leave in conditioner daily before styling. However after week 10 it way conditioner washing 2-3Xs a week. After week 8 I don't wear my hair out in straight styles daily. This helps alot. I wear my hair pulled back except when I go to church during this time to keep heat at a minimum. Stretching relaxers also improved my hair texture. After my first 12 week stretch, my hair grew in softer and more manageable. This made my other stretches easier.

dicapr said:
I would stretch 10-12 weeks. This was usually because I was tired of the extra work to maintain my hair, not due to shedding issues. I increased my stretch time gradually from 6 weeks, to 8 weeks, then 10-12 depending on how much new growth I had. I learned tricks on how comb my hair during the last 4 weeks such as spraying my new growth with leave in conditioner daily before styling. However after week 10 it way conditioner washing 2-3Xs a week. After week 8 I don't wear my hair out in straight styles daily. This helps alot. I wear my hair pulled back except when I go to church during this time to keep heat at a minimum. Stretching relaxers also improved my hair texture. After my first 12 week stretch, my hair grew in softer and more manageable. This made my other stretches easier.

I do this too but when I get to 6 or 7 weeks. I start co washing everyother day and that helped me get to 10 weeks the last time although I could have gone longer. I'm currently 6 weeks post and shooting for 12 weeks this time. What works for me is spraying my hair with dew moisturizer or scurl

I cannot stretch past 8 weeks.

Tried it. Failed it.

But, I also cant stop cutting my hair so .............

take what I say with a grain of salt ;)

I tried 12 this last time and I could not do it. It seems 10 is my limit as well. 8 weeks is easy but 10 was really hard for me to do I think because my new growth comes in so thick. Also, I dont want to go too long because I self relax and its hard to get through that hair.

I can go a pretty long time because my hair is texturized. There isn't much difference between the new growth and relaxer if I use S-Curl.

I'm 11 weeks post now and will probably go for a few more weeks. I only may plan a touch-up because I have some holiday celebrations coming up and I wanted to do something different with my hair. Now, whether or not I'll actually get to the salon is another story entirely.......it could be sometime in 2007. :lachen:

I usually go about 13-15 weeks but can go longer if I wanted. I noticed my hair grows much faster when I stretch. Especially long stretches. My hair doesnt fall out or shed like crazy because I keep it & roots well moisturized
and I do not manipulate my new growth in any way.

im 7 weeks post as of today...im trying to at least maybe make it to 8 weeks...but not sure yet....i dont think of stretching as a growth method...but also im not going to get to that point where i cant self-relax my hair with it being too difficult to get thru the new growth....

There is definately a time period (usually after say 15 weeks for me) when my hair looks extremely awkward. There isn't enough natural hair to do much with like wet it and gel it and make waves. I used the large headbands that cover most of the hairline to mask the growth. I also got presses to disguse it, but watch out for that rain!!!!

I usually stretch 13 weeks but have done more, the longest being 16 weeks (not on purpose). I wash and deep condition twice each week.

Back