2022 2023 2024 Coffee Tea Acv Ayur Onion Rice Chebe Challenge

It's time to make some more Shikakai cleanser.

I put hibiscus petals into a spray bottle last month with hot water and made a tea spritz. I use that as the water in my hair daily.

I'm pulling back on the scalp oil for now. If I feel my scalp needs to be oiled, I'll try a Fenugreek infused scalp oil to see how I like it.

I'm sticking with a Bhringraj and Amla hair oil. I can also use that on my scalp if I need to.

I've researched and it seems all of these things should be safe during pregnancy. Please let me know, ladies, if you see anything dangerous for baby in there. Thanks! :)

@snoop
Was the applesauce difficult to wash out of your hair? Is your hair still in twists?
It was not.

I used baby food. My honey is solid and so I put both in the blender, with the hopes that if the baby food had any chunks that the blending action would get rid them. There were no chunks to begin with. I used Heinz Organic. I use baby food when I want to make banana masks.

I applied them to my hair while my hair was in twists (medium loose), but then opened the twists and rinsed each one separately and re-twisted under the water. I think that the mask would have washed out regardless.

I'm not sure if it was because of the honey, but the mask didn't do what I was hoping that it would do. At least I don't think so. Applesauce is supposed to be good at stripping sebum from your hair.

It's time to make some more Shikakai cleanser.

I put hibiscus petals into a spray bottle last month with hot water and made a tea spritz. I use that as the water in my hair daily.

I'm pulling back on the scalp oil for now. If I feel my scalp needs to be oiled, I'll try a Fenugreek infused scalp oil to see how I like it.

I'm sticking with a Bhringraj and Amla hair oil. I can also use that on my scalp if I need to.

I've researched and it seems all of these things should be safe during pregnancy. Please let me know, ladies, if you see anything dangerous for baby in there. Thanks! :)

Congrats! Did you announce somewhere else too!? I'm so happy for you.

I don't think that any of those herbs that you mentioned are ones to be worried about. I would just stay away from EOs from now until you are doing breastfeeding. EOs are...different.

Congrats! Did you announce somewhere else too!? I'm so happy for you.

I don't think that any of those herbs that you mentioned are ones to be worried about. I would just stay away from EOs from now until you are doing breastfeeding. EOs are...different.

Thank you! (HUG)
I made an announcement in the Relaxed thread so I've just been mentioning it in passing in my other challenges/threads bc it's changing how I participate in some of them.

Also, the EOs are exactly why I had to stop using my scalp serum. A big component of my scalp serum is a very strong mixture of EOs. That mixture is gonna sit for the next 9 months and get more potent! lol

It was not.

I used baby food. My honey is solid and so I put both in the blender, with the hopes that if the baby food had any chunks that the blending action would get rid them. There were no chunks to begin with. I used Heinz Organic. I use baby food when I want to make banana masks.

I applied them to my hair while my hair was in twists (medium loose), but then opened the twists and rinsed each one separately and re-twisted under the water. I think that the mask would have washed out regardless.

I'm not sure if it was because of the honey, but the mask didn't do what I was hoping that it would do. At least I don't think so. Applesauce is supposed to be good at stripping sebum from your hair.

Me too! When I did the banana tx, I always used baby food bananas - learning from other ladies' mistakes. lol
I'm surprised you used honey in that mixture to strip sebum. I've always remembered honey as a humectant on the hair so I loved to use it in my DC mixes instead of vegetable glycerine.
Thank you for sharing about the applesauce - that's really interesting! What were the results? Do you think you'll try it again minus the honey?

I love me some honey in my mixtures. I kind of use it by default.

So after my wash last week, I noticed that the ends of my hair, in particular, have a thick coating of white stuff on it. I thought it was clay. Maybe it's clay. But it was still there this week. It could be tallow, but I think that by now it would have absorbed/rubbed off/disappeared off of my strands. I think it's sebum, because it's white and not grey like dirt? Like, if I do a lot of massages on my scalp and I got to rinse or wash my hair and I scratch my scalp I get white stuff under my nails and I figure, hey! sebum. If my hair is "dirty" I get a mix of grey with the white.

I don't shampoo or co-wash my hair but I might have to start. Now that my hair is dry I can't see it and it's only on some ends and not others. I do scritch and preen (scoop and spread) sometimes so I'm wondering if it's "finally" been effective. The thing is that with scritching and preening, when done on looser textures, you're supposed to follow up with brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush to remove excess sebum. A boar brush will tear up my hair. I do have a goat's hair brush but haven't been using it, though I do use it on occassion. I need to find out if anyone has used it to remove sebum successfully. Maybe I'll just start using it and see what my hair looks like in the next two weeks.

In the meantime, all of my favourite Black-owned and/or ayurvedic brands are in the US and so buying a shampoo bar will be a costly purchase. I'd pay more for shipping than for the bar itself. (I put two Henna Sooq bars in my cart...$20 for the bars and $50 for shipping...and that was before the exchange rate!) I could shampoo my hair, but I'm not ready to, yet.

So all that to say, the applesauce is supposed to remove sebum from my hair and it didn't. But the honey was to ensure that my hair stayed soft, which it did. I think that this weekend, I'll just soak my hair in ACV and some herbs and call it a day.

I forgot to use my Sarenzo Beauty Ashwagandha & Black Tea Rinse:angry2:

Steeping a Pot of Rosemary Tea for next wash day.

Last edited:
Back