2017 Wig Challenge

So I got two Outre lace front l-part wigs. You can see in the pics how big this kinky curly hair is even after I cut it and tried to thin it. I wanted to also take pics to show you all the L-parts and the hairlines; I tweezed the straight wig's L-part to make it look more natural. Im really trying to figure out how I'm going to do this wig thing again because I'm trying to make it look natural & I REALLY WANT A NATURAL LOOKING HAIRLINE. I use to wear half wigs and it looked like my own hair since my hair blended in very well. I got lace front this time so that I can protect all of my hair and not have to worry about blending and stuff. I'm so lost with figuring out how to make a lace front look like my own hair. I wanted to wear the kinky wig with bangs in the front, no part. But as you can see, it just isn't looking right.
Another HUGE concern.. how are you ladies protecting your edges? I just tried on my wigs for about 10 minutes and I can already tell, this lace will thin out and rub out my edges :(
P.s. The photos aren't the greatest (you can see my black silk scarf under the wigs), just took pics to show you all :)

Attachments

• IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 137
So this is definitely a "challenge" for me lol I can't get these lace fronts to blend correctly without destroying my edges. I've wasted majority of my day doing different things to them and it's not working out for many reasons. Half wigs were perfect for me in the past so I'll see if I can find a nice one.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1742.JPG
    IMG_1742.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 123
So this is definitely a "challenge" for me lol I can't get these lace fronts to blend correctly without destroying my edges. I've wasted majority of my day doing different things to them and it's not working out for many reasons. Half wigs were perfect for me in the past so I'll see if I can find a nice one.

One tip I can offer is to pull that baby forward so that it is closer to your hairline. You don't need much leave out at all. Where your baby hairs are seems like it would be perfect for blending.

I have not had any breakage on my hairline and I have been wearing wigs since October/November 2016. I moisturize daily with any of my heavy leave-ins
I have found that pulling my wigs forward , just beyond the hair line has worked wonders. Then applying a little of the the Got To Be gel where the part is, pressing down and using a blow dryer to set it, the using some powder foundation, does the trick. Let me see if I can post some pics. Sorry that they are not closer up
Capture_2017-03-05-06-53-53.png

20161218_103846.jpg

20170113_112856.jpg

Last edited:
So I got two Outre lace front l-part wigs. You can see in the pics how big this kinky curly hair is even after I cut it and tried to thin it. I wanted to also take pics to show you all the L-parts and the hairlines; I tweezed the straight wig's L-part to make it look more natural. Im really trying to figure out how I'm going to do this wig thing again because I'm trying to make it look natural & I REALLY WANT A NATURAL LOOKING HAIRLINE. I use to wear half wigs and it looked like my own hair since my hair blended in very well. I got lace front this time so that I can protect all of my hair and not have to worry about blending and stuff. I'm so lost with figuring out how to make a lace front look like my own hair. I wanted to wear the kinky wig with bangs in the front, no part. But as you can see, it just isn't looking right.
Another HUGE concern.. how are you ladies protecting your edges? I just tried on my wigs for about 10 minutes and I can already tell, this lace will thin out and rub out my edges :(
P.s. The photos aren't the greatest (you can see my black silk scarf under the wigs), just took pics to show you all :)

whats the name of this wig?

I have not had any breakage on my hairline and I have been wearing wigs since October/November 2016. I moisturize daily with any of my heavy leave-ins
I have found that pulling my wigs forward , just beyond the hair line has worked wonders. Then applying a little of the the Got To Be gel where the part is, pressing down and using a blow dryer to set it, the using some powder foundation, does the trick. Let me see if I can post some pics. Sorry that they are not closer up
Capture_2017-03-05-06-53-53.png

20161218_103846.jpg

20170113_112856.jpg

I love every single one of these wigs. I thought the last picture was your hair! I bought some of that got to be and all it seemed to do was leave a greasy white film on my wig and a crusty film on my face. But I was applying around the entire hairline perimeter of my lace front.

@TopShelf ,
Question 1:
Are you using the blowdryer on cool to dry out that Got2Be, or on warm heat? I am going to try the process that you suggested.

Question 2:
How is your styled underneath? Do you have plaits or cornrows or something else?

I can't get my lace front to lay down like yours.I think I want to get one now with the brown color like yours. Just so pretty!
-----
I washed and conditioned my hair and have my 8 braids. I am ready for my wig if I go out this week. Otherwise it's in bantu knots or under a head wrap.

You'll get it! I agree with the other ladies, you may just want to pull it forward just 1 or 2 inches more. The color and texture look good against your skin, too. Wig wearing is an art and a practice! Keep us posted on your results.

I love every single one of these wigs. I thought the last picture was your hair! I bought some of that got to be and all it seemed to do was leave a greasy white film on my wig and a crusty film on my face. But I was applying around the entire hairline perimeter of my lace front.

@TopShelf ,
Question 1:
Are you using the blowdryer on cool to dry out that Got2Be, or on warm heat? I am going to try the process that you suggested.
I use it on the cool setting. For some reason when I use the warm setting that white film shows up
Question 2:
How is your styled underneath? Do you have plaits or cornrows or something else?
My hair is part in two sections, horizontally (picture the up/down hairstyle). the front section is braided in about 8-10 cornrows going towards the back. The back sections is braided in a circle so that there is no bulk at the bottom

I can't get my lace front to lay down like yours.I think I want to get one now with the brown color like yours. Just so pretty!
I love these brown ombre wigs. the one that you thought was my hair, has been purchased about 3 times already.....lol. I get so many compliments when I wear it. It's called model model blue meadow Color: OH279
-----
I washed and conditioned my hair and have my 8 braids. I am ready for my wig if I go out this week. Otherwise it's in bantu knots or under a head wrap.

see bolded above

I'm experiencing problems with keeping my long straight silky/yaki synthetic wigs (over 12 inches) last for daily use. The weather is very inconsistent here in NYC, which affects the way the wig look over time. I get really bad ratty ends and it tangles so badly. I've been using Aussie instant freeze hairstyle to help control the fly away and frizz, but I think that's causing it to tangle more, which ultimately decreases the life and overall look of the wig.

I have wore Outre natural yaki 18 daily for the past week and a half, and already I've had to co-wash/fabric softener wash it twice, and cut some of the ends a few times and the wig sheds every time I brush it.

What advice can anyone give?

The nape gets tangled and matted on all my wigs no matter the length or texture. I'm getting tired of the lengthy detangling sessions:( Any advice?

@**SaSSy** @Prettymetty
Have you ladies tried spraying wig spray on it nightly and combing it out, especially the nape area? I've experienced tangled matted hair too but every night, I spray the nape with braid spray and comb it out with paddle brush to keep the matting from getting too out of hand.
I know synthetic wigs will start took to look a mess, which is why I opt for kinky curly synthetic wigs. In the past, I'd wear a kinky curly synthetic wig for months and the more messed up it got, the more natural it looked :)
Might have to opt for human hair wigs so that the it will last for daily use.
Maybe some other ladies can chime in and give some advice on this.

I'm experiencing problems with keeping my long straight silky/yaki synthetic wigs (over 12 inches) last for daily use. The weather is very inconsistent here in NYC, which affects the way the wig look over time. I get really bad ratty ends and it tangles so badly. I've been using Aussie instant freeze hairstyle to help control the fly away and frizz, but I think that's causing it to tangle more, which ultimately decreases the life and overall look of the wig.

I have wore Outre natural yaki 18 daily for the past week and a half, and already I've had to co-wash/fabric softener wash it twice, and cut some of the ends a few times and the wig sheds every time I brush it.

This is why I only wear straight synthetic wigs untouched for 2 weeks. Then I do a hot water flexi rod or hot water bantu knot out. After those curls start looking crazy, I toss it. Ends up as about a month's wear.

@**SaSSy** @Prettymetty
Have you ladies tried spraying wig spray on it nightly and combing it out, especially the nape area? I've experienced tangled matted hair too but every night, I spray the nape with braid spray and comb it out with paddle brush to keep the matting from getting too out of hand.
I know synthetic wigs will start took to look a mess, which is why I opt for kinky curly synthetic wigs. In the past, I'd wear a kinky curly synthetic wig for months and the more messed up it got, the more natural it looked :)
This is why I only wear straight synthetic wigs untouched for 2 weeks. Then I do a hot water flexi rod or hot water bantu knot out. After those curls start looking crazy, I toss it. Ends up as about a month's wear.
Thanks for the tips ladies. Actually, I think since I'm a new wig wearing, I'm going through a lot of trial and error. One error I just notice was using fabric softener on my wigs. I think that ruined some of the tracks, because today while at work, I had to cut 6 tracks that were coming out.

I know I need to buy human wigs, but I don't want the constant maintenance that comes with human wigs, I need good work daily wigs.

@**SaSSy** @Prettymetty
Mine are all human. Most of them are lace wigs, but I'm currently wearing a full wig. I'm going to gently detangle tonight and then cut out the parts that can't be saved. Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips ladies. Actually, I think since I'm a new wig wearing, I'm going through a lot of trial and error. One error I just notice was using fabric softener on my wigs. I think that ruined some of the tracks, because today while at work, I had to cut 6 tracks that were coming out.

I know I need to buy human wigs, but I don't want the constant maintenance that comes with human wigs, I need good work daily wigs.
I don't know if it's too long of a style for you, but a vlogger that I follow wore the Outre Dominican straight/relaxed/whatever it's called for three weeks daily to work.

I don't know if it's too long of a style for you, but a vlogger that I follow wore the Outre Dominican straight/relaxed/whatever it's called for three weeks daily to work.

i just bought that one. waiting to unbox it

I was adding some Cantu shea to the ends of my straight wigs. How long do you want them to last?

I was adding some Cantu Shea to the ends of my straight wigs. How long do you want them to last?
At least a month. But I think I figured out the problem.

I was using too much hairspray (Aussie Instant Freeze) which isn't good for the type of synthetic wig I have (Outre Natural Yaki 18 inch). I rewashed yesterday morning using a clarifying shampoo and conditioner, then let it air dry.

There were hardly any tangles or tracks coming out. I'm wearing it today at work, and will keep wearing for the rest of month or until it falls apart (which ever comes first). I ordered three different wigs yesterday as back-ups.

My goal is to PS with wigs for most of the year, unless it's very hot, in which I can just wear a short/taper wig.

Last edited:
I have that wig in the color D27. I'm planning to wear that wig for the month of April. I'm trying not to change up my wigs so much during the work week.

I'm trying to wearing the same wig every day for a month and only change it up if I wash it the night before and it's not dry in time for work.

Like @**SaSSy** , my goal is to protective style throughout 2017 using wigs, too. I mix it up with head wraps when I am in a hurry because putting on a wig is a big production for me. I have an affinity for synthetic, lace front wigs that are shoulder to collarbone length, that have a side part.

My first time wearing wigs was about 3 years ago when I decided to protective style in them for the full year. So, I bought about 24 wigs of different styles, colors & lengths because I get bored and I wanted a variety.

But, I couldn't understand why people were buying 3 or 4 of the same wig or maybe in different colors. Now I get it. Some of my favorites are on their way to wig heaven and either I can't find them in a color I like or I can't find them at all. So, I'm glad you all are posting pictures because I will replace them with some of the cute wigs you ladies are posting.

I am still maintaining my regimen, but for some reason, I am not looking forward to our upcoming length check. I think I may be scared that my hair hasn't grown after 5 months of wiggin' it. But, I will find out in 22 days.

How long should I keep wearing my beehive braid, that I wear underneath my braids?

I was thinking 7-8 weeks, but maybe that's too long?

Back