2017 Wig Challenge

@Chicoro I don't use a wig cap when wearing a curly wig (my natural hair is curly), but I do when wearing a straight wig. Either way: wip cap or bare my hair is dry by the end of the day. I wear my wig 11+ hours for I have 2 jobs.
@sarumoki Yes, I load castor oil on my edges as well. Although, not a problem...I don't want it to result that way.
**Thank you for the tip @Chicoro .Plastic bag (shower cap) & then wig cap.

I secure the plastic shower cap with a method used by a former member here named @SouthernTease. I place a knee-high around the edge of the plastic cap and then roll the edges of the cap under it to anchor it. Imagine putting on the plastic cap and trying to make it air tight! See the link from my Fotki.
http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/hair-2017/head-wraps/plastic-cap-1.html

I do this at night and my cap NEVER comes off. But you have to have something like your braids around your head to give it a barrier to block the movement of the cap. If I do this with a slick, pulled back ponytail, the cap will come off. I use braided, bantu knots under my head wraps.

When I wear my wigs, I simply unfurl the bantu knots, leaving the hair braided, and then wrap my braids around my head and pin them much like you do. Instead of two braids, I have four on each side. My wigs don't lay completely flat, but flat enough.

@sarumoki I maybe take down my braids 1x during the week to re-moisturize & seal if super dry from wig. I don't wash my hair in braids. Before washing I take down my braids, coat hair generously with coconut oil & Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner. I let that sit on my hair for 30 mins-overnight to penetrate the hair shaft, then do some type of ayurvedic gloss, co-wash, deep conditioner, do the LOC or LOCB method.

While wearing your hair in a protective style (braids) under a wig does your hair get nappy?

I usually keep my hair in 2 plaits & wrap them in the opposite direction & Bobby pin them down. Maybe I should try cornrows. In any case my hair tends to get matted at the nape. How do y'all combat this issue or similar knotting issues?
If I plait my hair, it mats. So now, I cornrow and that works much better.

Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & Ojon Damage Reverse.
DC'd for an hour under the heat cap with CC's Natural ButterCreme.
Reconstructed with Kenya Moore Growth Repair & Hair Yum Pink Sugar Protein.
Rinsed Out Koils By Nature ACV Hair Growth & SSI Avocado.
LCOB'd with Ion Damage Solution, Keravada Crème Brulee, Over the Top Growth Elixir on scalp, Cream & Coco Green Apple on length & Mission Condition Whipped Shea on ends.

I'm trying to perfect a faux curly high bun for my trip, so my boo Hania is getting a well deserved break until Monday.

I want to go back to my ponytail so bad. I like the same old thing. So I am struggling hard to wear my wigs and not go back to my favorite, hair eating, tangling, knot creating style. I wore my "Oprah" wig when I went to have dinner. It looks like my real hair. I'm comfortable with this one.

The second wig is a lace front. I only have one. I need to go back and cut some more of the lace close to the hairline. It looks good from the side.

Wearing wigs requires skill in styling and picking out the right one for your face. It truly is an art. I get better each time I wear them. I really want to keep my hair hidden for all of 2017.

@Chicoro you are so pretty. Those units look great on you !

I found my favourite ever under wig protector again on ebay.

Sounds cray because its a mans dome cap but it's just perfect. It doesn't rob my hair of moisture like the stocking caps ( I have dry hair), it was the only cap that allowed my edges to grow back and its breathable because of the mesh.

I found my favourite ever under wig protector again on ebay.

Sounds cray because its a mans dome cap but it's just perfect. It doesn't rob my hair of moisture like the stocking caps ( I have dry hair), it was the only cap that allowed my edges to grow back and its breathable because of the mesh.
@Sumra

Do you mind sharing what this looks like and where it can be purchased please?

I want to wig it y'all, but my edges don't like it. I like the idea of using the mesh dome cap and soaking my edges. How are you ladies protecting your edges?

I secure the plastic shower cap with a method used by a former member here named @SouthernTease. I place a knee-high around the edge of the plastic cap and then roll the edges of the cap under it to anchor it. Imagine putting on the plastic cap and trying to make it air tight! See the link from my Fotki.
http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/hair-2017/head-wraps/plastic-cap-1.html

I do this at night and my cap NEVER comes off. But you have to have something like your braids around your head to give it a barrier to block the movement of the cap. If I do this with a slick, pulled back ponytail, the cap will come off. I use braided, bantu knots under my head wraps.

When I wear my wigs, I simply unfurl the bantu knots, leaving the hair braided, and then wrap my braids around my head and pin them much like you do. Instead of two braids, I have four on each side. My wigs don't lay completely flat, but flat enough.

Do you pull the entire knee-high over your hair and then put on the plastic and tuck it under? I just looked at the picture and I see the bantu knots clearly, but not the knee high. Do you only use the band from the knee-high? TIA.

I haven't worn either of the wigs I bought because I wear a beret most days until it gets warmer. I don't want to wear it on top of the wigs because I don't want it to mess up the hair. I can't wait until spring.

Do you pull the entire knee-high over your hair and then put on the plastic and tuck it under? I just looked at the picture and I see the bantu knots clearly, but not the knee high. Do you only use the band from the knee-high? TIA.

I haven't worn either of the wigs I bought because I wear a beret most days until it gets warmer. I don't want to wear it on top of the wigs because I don't want it to mess up the hair. I can't wait until spring.
I use the entire knee hi. It is rolled under the elastic of the shower cap!

I'm reordering my sweet boo thing Hania, such a darling girl :love:

The first one i ordered is still on very well, but it's starting to get that puffy look

Yay I'm definitely joining! Been wigging it since Jan of this year. Was in a weave in December. I have three wigs on rotation right now. Love the one I have on right now: Hawa wig

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? Hopefully all year

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?

Cornrows. I moisturize and seal every other day and cowash weekly. Will take down every 4 - 6 weeks.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: Natural

5. Current Hair Length: APL

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal: MBL

7. Starting photo: see avatar

I've had these straight back cornrows in for 4 weeks and they are a hot mess now. I also want to protect the ends better. So I think I will take them down and start wearing it similar to @bajandoc

WELCOME TO THE 2017 WIG CHALLENGE!

Wigs are an AMAZING option when trying to protect, retain, and relax your hair. A WIG means any full, half, full lace, U-part, lace front wig or phony pony (store bought or self-made) that you can put on and take off daily to have access to your hair. Twists, braided extensions, sew-ins, or traditional weaves ARE NOT allowed for this challenge.

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?
For as long as I need to. Preferably till my hair is TBL
3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
I will oil my hair and massage my scalp while in cornrows

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: natural

5. Current Hair Length: SL

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal:
MBL
7. Starting Photo
(My hair was just taken out of cornrows, forgive me!) I get it rebranded every 3 months, so ill check in when possible!

Please keep this thread alive with pictures of your current wigs, wig reviews, hair regimen updates, photos of your hair's progress, etc. as often as possible, but at least on:

1. March 31st

2. June 30th

3. September 30th

4. December 31st

:gorgeous: LET'S DO THIS LADIES!!! :gorgeous:

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_141751276.jpg
    IMG_20170205_141751276.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 93
I'm so excited!

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post. Done

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? The whole year- I'm in law school (we have lots of firm events) and I'll be working at a corporate law firm this summer.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig? I'll be deep conditioning weekly, moisturizing my cornrows (I get them done every 4-6 weeks, sometimes with a week's break, sometimes no) throughout the week and some scalp massages with my monthly inversions. I've decided to introduce more protein into my regimen than the Shea Moisture leave ins and DCs I was using, so I'll be doing an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment every six weeks. I'll be keeping my hair in small, flat cornrows under a soft netted wig cap and wig daily.

I'm also taking BB vitamins and drinking the tea!

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: natural

5. Current Hair Length: Right at APL all over, some parts longer now

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal: I know it's a stretch lol but I'm trying to go for MBL!

7. Starting Photo - coming soon.

Please keep this thread alive with pictures of your current wigs, wig reviews, hair regimen updates, photos of your hair's progress, etc. as often as possible, but at least on:

1. March 31st - I stay in cornrows during the semester for the most part but I'll try

2. June 30th - Length check (not straightening all year tho)

3. September 30th - I stay in cornrows during the semester for the most part but I'll try

4. December 31st - Length check here as well

Checking in! Still wearing my wigs. I am trying to make it until June 2017 before I give my hair a trim. I love the versatility I am getting from my wigs. I just noticed that I wear the color gray a lot. All these photos were on different days and I've got on gray every time. Hmmm... Both long wigs are the same unit on different days. The shorter one is a curly wig. There is no breakage on my hair around my hair line. I still use a plastic bag + a wig cap+ the wig. My hair stays nice and moist under my wigs. I am quite happy with my wigging it experience in 2017 thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_5258.JPG
    IMG_5258.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5600.JPG
    IMG_5600.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5762.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Checking in! Still wearing my wigs. I am trying to make it until June 2017 before I give my hair a trim. I love the versatility I am getting from my wigs. I just noticed that I wear the color gray a lot. All these photos were on different days and I've got on gray every time. Hmmm... Both long wigs are the same unit on different days. The shorter one is a curly wig. There is no breakage on my hair around my hair line. I still use a plastic bag + a wig cap+ the wig. My hair stays nice and moist under my wigs. I am quite happy with my wigging it experience in 2017 thus far.
Just Lovely @Chicoro

Hi Chicoro! Do u happen to notice any difference in growth using shower cap? It sounds like u do somewhat of a GHE on your head.

Hi Chicoro! Do u happen to notice any difference in growth using shower cap? It sounds like u do somewhat of a GHE on your head.

:hiya: @LegsLegsLegs,
The short answer is yes, with caveats. The long answer follows!

I've been calling this method the 'baggie'/'whole head baggie' method. I learned about this method from this very site, LHCF in 2003, when I first joined and those women referred to this process as the baggie method.

In the past, yes, I noticed a difference [an increase] in growth and retention using the shower cap. When I first started my hair journey on LHCF in November 2003. I would use a plastic cap every night, plus a baggie on my pony tail.

I had a big jump in growth and length retention from December 2003 to April 2004. I think it was about 4 inches which was a rate of 3/4 an inch per month. I also was using a baggie all day and vaseline on the ends of my hair while in my protective style, which was a bun inside of a baggie. Here is the visual, photo documentation of my progress during that time frame, in my Fotki site:

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/...-/progress_album/comparison1203_and_0404.html

Fast forward to 2017, I just started back using the plastic shower cap regularly again in December 2016. I'm hesitant to say, "Yes, indubitably!" because this is just the second full month of my foray back to this method at night. Tentatively, I would say yes, the caveat is that there has been a lack of time doing this to truly verify it. But, I believe I have noticed an increase in growth and/or retention. I will be able to more comfortable say this for sure in June 2017, and especially in December 2017, when I've had 12 months to see my progress with this method!

:hiya: @LegsLegsLegs,
The short answer is yes, with caveats. The long answer follows!

I've been calling this method the 'baggie'/'whole head baggie' method. I learned about this method from this very site, LHCF in 2003, when I first joined and those women referred to this process as the baggie method.

In the past, yes, I noticed a difference [an increase] in growth and retention using the shower cap. When I first started my hair journey on LHCF in November 2003. I would use a plastic cap every night, plus a baggie on my pony tail.

I had a big jump in growth and length retention from December 2003 to April 2004. I think it was about 4 inches which was a rate of 3/4 an inch per month. I also was using a baggie all day and vaseline on the ends of my hair while in my protective style, which was a bun inside of a baggie. Here is the visual, photo documentation of my progress during that time frame, in my Fotki site:

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/...-/progress_album/comparison1203_and_0404.html

Fast forward to 2017, I just started back using the plastic shower cap regularly again in December 2016. I'm hesitant to say, "Yes, indubitably!" because this is just the second full month of my foray back to this method at night. Tentatively, I would say yes, the caveat is that there has been a lack of time doing this to truly verify it. But, I believe I have noticed an increase in growth and/or retention. I will be able to more comfortable say this for sure in June 2017, and especially in December 2017, when I've had 12 months to see my progress with this method!
Thank you for explaining this so well!! I might have to give this a try too :)

Back