2017 Delightfully Delicious Deep Conditioning Challenge

I definitely have to get some of those NG conditioners! I'm revamping my reggie for 2017 to add more natural products and some of her stuff sound delicious enough to eat lol. Not to mention I don't think I've heard a negative thing about them.

I think I will join some hair challenges since it's been a while since I have. I will be back on Sunday to post a pic of my hair.

The deep conditioners I will use are:

Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment
Silk Dreams Avocado Pudding
Silk Dreams Razzberry Coconut Affair
Silk Dreams Chocolate Bliss
Kerastase Therapiste (only when I plan to use heat)
Kerastase Immersion Nutritive

I think I may try deep conditioning with heat or start using my hair steamer again.

I'd like to join as well please! My regimen is always changing but I've recently decided to dc twice a week. I got the PIBBS dryer for Christmas and as soon as it arrives i will dc twice a week for a minimum of 30 minutes with heat.

I'm revamping my products and so far I will be using:

•Shea moisture manuka honey dc
•Mielle organics babassu mint dc
•Tressemme flawless curls conditioner (with added oils)

Last edited:
Conditioner crooked.jpg

This is my homemade conditioner. It's so thick and greasy, this wooden spoon stands straight up in it for few seconds! I doctor it up after I make it by adding extra olive oil and some honey. I put the coconut conditioner on my hair, then I also like to add and use an inexpensive, store-bought conditioner on top of the coconut conditioner. It smells like coconut milk and oil which is not so fragrant. The store bought conditioner imparts a nice smell to my hair for a little while, though.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.JPG
    IMG_4958.JPG
    836.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Dang, this is where I was actually supposed to post my hair picture :lachen:

Oops.

I know some of y'all probably seen this picture multiple times, but bare with me ladies lmao.
Here's my starting picture:

Put me in coach! Now that I'm relaxed, I can't be as lazy as I was when I was natural :lachen:

I'll be using Naturelle Grow's Marshmallow, and Slippery Elm DC and what ever I pick up from that delicious list. I'll post a picture after I'm done flat ironing.

Attachments

• IMG_5718.JPG
    IMG_5718.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 53
View attachment 384091

This is my homemade conditioner. It's so thick and greasy, this wooden spoon stands straight up in it for few seconds! I doctor it up after I make it by adding extra olive oil and some honey. I put the coconut conditioner on my hair, then I also like to add and use an inexpensive, store-bought conditioner on top of the coconut conditioner. It smells like coconut milk and oil which is not so fragrant. The store bought conditioner imparts a nice smell to my hair for a little while, though.
Is the recipe? If not, please share :eek::D

Please add me to this challenge.

I'll be using a variety of Shescentit deep conditioners:
-Curl Moist
-Restore and Repair Hair Mask
-Papaya Super Hydrate Hair Mask

I DC once a week with a plastic cap under my hood dryer for 30 minutes.

I just clarified my hair and did a protein treatment with the Restore and Repair Hair Mask for 15 minutes. I rinsed that out and followed up with the Papaya Super Hydrate Hair Mask for 30 minutes.
Ready.Set.Go. for 2017

Is the recipe? If not, please share :eek::D

Ingredients:

1. 200 ml of coconut cream or coconut milk
2. 1 teaspoon of guar gum ( can put in more, up to 1 tablespoon.)
3. 1/4 cup of oil- I prefer peanut oil because it is so greasy.
4. 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid (check acidity with ph paper to ensure your mixture is not too acidic.)

Mix in blender. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes as it will thicken up. If it is too thick, add more water or aloe vera juice/gel. If it is too thin add more guar gum, but pinches at a time.

Once it is mixed up, add in extra olive oil and honey to 'doctor it up' like we do any conditioner we might buy in the store.

This conditioner can be heated in the microwave or on the stove top before application onto the head.

A basic conditioner has two (2) main purposes:

1. To de-swell the hair strand/shaft (we erroneously [me too!] call this closing the cuticle or lowering the cuticle)
2. To lubricate the hair strands to lower friction (we call this rubbing).

I selected the the coconut milk and peanut oil due to their high fat content. Peanut oil has high omega 9, like in our skin. (Lubricant components)

The guar gum serves as the binder as coconut milk has water and will not naturally mix with the oil. It adds nothing beneficial to the hair and is I included as a component of the formulation.

The citric acid de- swells the hair.(Closing the cuticle component)

I use all I make at once. I mix with cheap conditioner to give more slip. Also, it smells like coconut milk.

***The ingredients are in French because I live in France. You should be able to find coconut products in any store. The guar gum and peanut oil are usually found in speciality or health food stores. The citric acid may be the hardest to find. You can use apple cider vinegar instead of citric acid but I can't tell you in what quantities because I use the citric acid.

@Aggie,
You may be interested in this post, so I'm tagging you Ms. Lady!

Attachments

• IMG_4996.JPG
    IMG_4996.JPG
    798.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
@Chicoro . Thank you Ms. Chicoro for sharing that. Thank you @whosthatcurl for asking! I most definitely will try this out. How long have you been using this recipe?

@victory777,

You are welcome. I started using this around the end of September 2016 or the beginning of October 2016. I used to love Queen Helene's Cholesterol conditioner. I could only find the mint version here in town. When I brought my second purchase of the Queen Helene Mint conditioner, the lovely beauty supply proprietor said that it was, "Nothing but grease," inferring it was not really a good product.

That's when the idea popped into my head! I love and need that grease but oil by itself and watery conditioners don't do it for me. The mint one was not bad but it never felt right for me. So, I tinkered 'in my head' and in my kitchen. It works for me for right now. It's completely edible, especially after adding the honey to it. But, that doesn't mean it should be eaten. Yuck! I tasted it once, though.

Ingredients:

1. 200 ml of coconut cream or coconut milk
2. 1 teaspoon of guar gum ( can put in more, up to 1 tablespoon.)
3. 1/4 cup of oil- I prefer peanut oil because it is so greasy.
4. 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid (check acidity with ph paper to ensure your mixture is not too acidic.)

Mix in blender. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes as it will thicken up. If it is too thick, add more water or aloe vera juice/gel. If it is too thin add more guar gum, but pinches at a time.

Once it is mixed up, add in extra olive oil and honey to 'doctor it up' like we do any conditioner we might buy in the store.

This conditioner can be heated in the microwave or on the stove top before application onto the head.

A basic conditioner has two (2) main purposes:

1. To de-swell the hair strand/shaft (we erroneously [me too!] call this closing the cuticle or lowering the cuticle)
2. To lubricate the hair strands to lower friction (we call this rubbing).

I selected the the coconut milk and peanut oil due to their high fat content. Peanut oil has high omega 9, like in our skin. (Lubricant components)

The guar gum serves as the binder as coconut milk has water and will not naturally mix with the oil. It adds nothing beneficial to the hair and is I included as a component of the formulation.

The citric acid de- swells the hair.(Closing the cuticle component)

I use all I make at once. I mix with cheap conditioner to give more slip. Also, it smells like coconut milk.

***The ingredients are in French because I live in France. You should be able to find coconut products in any store. The guar gum and peanut oil are usually found in speciality or health food stores. The citric acid may be the hardest to find. You can use apple cider vinegar instead of citric acid but I can't tell you in what quantities because I use the citric acid.

@Aggie,
You may be interested in this post, so I'm tagging you Ms. Lady!
Thank you so much :worship2:

This is a full spa hair day for me today. The first thing I did yesterday was a hair mud detox using J. Monique's detox Hair Mud - this smells really good and left a constant tingle on my scalp until I washed it out.

I used a combination of avj, evco and evoo to prepoo. Now I'm giving myself a henna treatment. I want to use indigo to darken afterwards.

Most likely I will be deep conditioning with Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor followed with APB Moisturizing Conditioner.

I will be using NG Sweet Plantain Leave-in and Bask & Bloom Silky Aloe Hair Pudding to seal.

@Chicoro that recipe sounds divine! Do you use peanut oil from grocery store? And which cheapy conditioner do you use? Thank you!

@beauti,
I buy my peanut oil from a health food store. I've not seen it in a regular grocery store.

I live in Lyon, France, so I buy a store brand from a French equivalent (sort of) of Walmart. The store is called Carrefour. Curiously, the brand information is written in English and is called Nectar of Beauty. They are about 2 dollars per bottle. There is no such things as .89cents Vo5 brands here. I like these because they smell good, I can find them very easily and they add slip. I put about a palm size quantity of this on top of my coconut conditioner to add slip and fragrance. If I am in a rush, I'll use one of these to condition my hair instead of my coconut DIY one.

Attachments

• Cheap con 1.JPG
    Cheap con 1.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 40
  • cheap con 2.JPG
    cheap con 2.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 36
  • cheap con 3.JPG
    cheap con 3.JPG
    700.2 KB · Views: 37
Back