2012 HYH Challenge (Jan 1st - June 30th)

Took my tree braids out. They were looking real fuzzy around the front. They lasted about a month. Currently wearing buns and phony ponies. I may get a half wig today.

Just wearing puffs.

I REALLY wanna straighten my hair for an event this weekend, but I'm petrified of what I might see; the last time I straightened, my hair was damaged beyond measure & required a ridiculous amount of cutting.

Beyond that, I'm getting bored with my hair; I don't want to make any hasty decisions, but I'm feeling antsy. A second bc, a relaxer, a funky color, you name it & I've thought about doing it.

I dunno when this healthy hair journey became more of a burden than a hobby, but I am just too over it at the moment...

So I plan to finish pt.1 of this challenge with a sew-in installed yesterday. I hope to keep it in for the next 8 weeks.

Last edited:
^^ Wow, your weave looks good. If you hadn't said anything I would never have known it wasn't you real hair.

ojemba - WHAT? That ain't all you? That is a lovely install :love:. If you said before, please say it again, what brand of hair is that?

I am trying to decide what to do with my hair when I come out of the kinkies for a few weeks. I probably won't take this set out til the end of May or June, if they hold up. If I do a refresh, I can push it to June.

Golden75 said:
ojemba - WHAT? That ain't all you? That is a lovely install :love:. If you said before, please say it again, what brand of hair is that?

I am trying to decide what to do with my hair when I come out of the kinkies for a few weeks. I probably won't take this set out til the end of May or June, if they hold up. If I do a refresh, I can push it to June.

Golden75 thanks I LOVE!!!' it. It's the Onyc kinky curly hair with a closure. Here is a pic of the closure

image-2229881980.jpg

Wow, that weave is :lick: I wouldn't mind having a wig like that.

ETA: I got so excited about that weave I forgot what I came in here to post. Last week, I said I was going to try and leave my braids in 5 days. I have kept them for over a week. :trophy: Next I am going for two whole weeks.

Last edited:
Got a sew in this evening & fell in love with it; by the time I made it home my leave out was already reverting :nono:

I dunno what I'm gonna do now.

NikkiQ

We are all waiting patiently for June. :spinning:

Well at least I am. I need a trim but I'll wait until end of June at reveal time. It may hinder my retention a tad bit but I'm hoping not too much. :perplexed

Going on vacation next Saturday (for 10 days) and have no idea what to do with my hair. I would like to put my hair in mini twists, but I just don't want to go through the whole process. My hair is doing so much better getting washed once a week.

I forgot I was in this challenge:blush:. I'm going back into "spring twists" next week till August I'm going to trim my ends before the install.

Still in my kinky twists. I touched up the top and perimeter on thurs night/friday morning since I had an event to go to. Trying to decide what I will do next, may try braids, and I need to get a wig for the couple weeks I'm not braided up.

I've been bunning this hair, my fave protective style. Easy for me to take my hair down and apply my growth aids to my scalp, moisturize, etc.

Think I might get around to doing a set of flat-twists in front, 2-strand twists in back to rock this summer. A set will last 4 wks with mild touch-ups, and can be washed without undoing. After a twist-out can be worn. But for now its the wavy bun...

Rockin Celies and wigs 99% of the time with the occasional twist/braid out that's stretched, bun, or some crazy pin up do. I think over the summer...I'm switching over to wash n gos.

Only two months to go. I can't wait. Really hoping to come out of this challenge swanging some APL hair. I am going to whip so much I will lengthen my neck, so I better switch to tape measure so I know my hair is growing :lachen:

Just got my hair dyed and flat ironed. I will add the weave on Friday morning.

IMAG0333-1.jpg

Last edited:
I fell all the way off with this. :sad:

I encountered a lot of pressure to wear my own hair instead of HWs, so I did. Of course, due to an improper moisture balance + loose hair, I now have a bunch of SSKs and split ends that have to be cut. :wallbash: The good news is I finally have enough length on the sides and nape to braid. (We'll see if I still do after the haircut.)

The current plan is to stay braided up however I can manage--regardless of external feedback--until I reach my goal. I'm thinking I'll switch off between cornrows under wigs and yarn locs.

pre_medicalrulz said:
NikkiQ

We are all waiting patiently for June. :spinning:

Well at least I am. I need a trim but I'll wait until end of June at reveal time. It may hinder my retention a tad bit but I'm hoping not too much. :perplexed

I should wait until June, but my ends are annoying me. Im gonna trim tonight.

Back