2011 Hide Your Hair Challenge! (Jan 1st - June 30th)

Bought my second half wig on thursday... disaster, too short made me look like an alien.... back to my trusty sensational 7005. The ends are getting tangled though... any tips?

I'm in. This is a perfect challenge for me. I've already been wigging it up consistently since August anyway and off and on since the beginning of 2010. Those wigs are addictive. Plus, since I already have two other heads to do on a regular basis (two daughters) I never really had the time to put the effort into my hair as far as styling goes.

With the wigs I can keep my hair moisturized and braided underneath, which takes less than ten minutes, and still have my hair styled without the extra effort. :yep: My problem is going to be not wearing the wigs. I can tell. :lol:

i'm ready to join, will use my reveal pic from the weave challenge as my starting pic, will use a combination of wigs and weaves

will be coming back for ideas and inspiration, ladies

I haven't been on in a while but I will def be on here for this round. I ran into a little mishap going from 1-2 inches from BSL to idk now.....so I will be hiding out and washing more until its back where it was.

I bought her from a BSS...I have been wearing it everyday since last week: LOVES it! I cut it back to APL because I wasn't comfortable wearing a BSL-MBLish wavy wig when my hair is nowhere near that length/thickness :look: plus this is my first time wearing a wig outside of my house :lol:

I have pics but won't be posting them until I post my starting pic for this challenge. :grin:
I want to trim mine a tad bit too. Did you just take the scissors and snip away or is there some special technique to trimming a wig?

My Mommy wig comes in today!!! :woot:
I want one of these but it would definitely be a weekend wig only since I'm trying to wear wigs realistic to my hair's length/thickness because I'm not nearly as great at making a fashion statement as you and JJ.

^^Oh girl stop! You know you can pull off anything you put your mind to. I got it to cure my taste to BC too early. She'll be cute to wear in the summer time with my contacts and big hoops that I love to wear.

Can your head be too big for wigs? I have having problems with my lace fronts slipping backward and I don't want to use glue, etc...any advice ladies? Also, is there somewhere I can go to get the lace trimmed properly?! I feel like I am doing things all wrong here :(

I want to trim mine a tad bit too. Did you just take the scissors and snip away or is there some special technique to trimming a wig?

I just trimmed it like I would trim my own hair: I pulled the hair back in a low pony and trimmed the pony a little at a time until it was the length I wanted.

Hey ladies! Sorry for being MIA...I went to NYC this week to see Prince in concert for the first time and got back last night! I have been lurking on my phone sporadically LOL Prince's hair was fly BTW I rocked a twistout before leaving for NYC (where I washed my hair and had a flat iron disaster LOL) I am attaching the pic :grin:

I really do need an intervention...I want to buy more wigs and I have only worn one of them! I am a poor student!!! Help meeee JJamiah, NikkiQ LOL You will enable me...Help me Janet!:lachen: :lachen:
I love the twistout! So pretty!:yep:
[/B]

:lachen: GIRL you Done said it. LOL I too am a poor student LOL (now) I start soon. I am paying my classes along the way so no more splurging for me. LOL.

I was drooling at the fact that you got to see PRINCE! I bet he was fly :yep:
I love your twistout :yep: (I thought it was fake hair) it is so nicely done :yep:

HUH, you need us to enroll you in 1800wigJunkyrus. LOL (especially Nikkiq) LOLOLOLOL :lachen: Nah, I don't report my purchases due to (Mscoco) shhhhh! she call's a sister out!

For real all jokes aside, You want us to enroll you :lachen:

For real this time, you want to buy wigs?

Dass right! Don't make me bust out pix of your inventory. I WILL call you out ya lil addict!:lachen:

^I love your twist out Jinez!

My early christmas present :woot::

thumbnail.asp

It's a full lace from pinklacewigs.com

This is gorgeous!

i desperately need to join this challenege! This will help me keep my hands out my hair! It will also allow me to keep up with my current regimen! I need to get good @ doing the lacefrontsm i dont use any adhesives to keep it on! Looking forward to the growth!

Welcome!

[/B]
Oh I am Committee Chair of WBA- I told you I hide my purchases. Who buys five wears one and figures she needs 10 more ME! LOLOLOLOL

We need to converse privately :) Wig shopping is fun :) but Mscoco has her :eye: on me :sekret:

I shole do!:look:

She doesn't have a name but she is a 1-B Off Black Regular Yaki Full Lace Wig, I bought her in 14 inches for $284 ... :hide:

Wooooo you just made my left eye twitch with that price tag! WHOA!

I'm in...I bought my first lace front some time ago and I still haven't worn it outside yet; IDK I am afraid it's going to fly off or something and then people will be like "I know her wig didn't just fly off! Bald headed *****!" lol...that's just my fear anyway. It seems a little dramatic

Girl, get out of my head!:lachen::lachen:

just redid my crochet braids...new cornrows. this time it took me just over an hour to add the hair to the cornrows.
on the look out for good hair to use that won't slip out of the knot. not easy to find.

roll on apl hair!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I'd love to see pix of your install!

I'm in and I'm :lachen::blush: at my twists. They aren't the greatest but I'm keeping them in.:look: I hope each day to improve on them. In fact, this is my first natural success. I have never been able to twist my entire head and always gave up. Even though they are ugly, it is a successful step in me becoming more confident in my natural journey.:yahoo:

Glad you're joining us again DDT!

Hey ladies, checkin in!! I've been M.I.A from the board but I'm back!! While I was gone, I mistreated my hair with too much heat (altho I kept up with protein & d/c treatments) :nono:

With that said! I put my install in today so I'm a little early.

I dont have a decent starting picture but I am about APL right now.

Here's my install!

Love it!

I'm in. Are we posting starting pictures in here?

I'm actually going to post a separate thread for the starting pix. I'll let you guys know when it's up and running.

My Mommy wig comes in today!!! :woot:

Nik, you have to post pix! I'm dying to see how you're going to style it. I'd love to buy one myself but I have too much of a pieface.:look:

I hope its not to late to join, Please count me in Thanks

You're right on time. The challenge doesn't officially start until Jan. 1st.

I haven't been on in a while but I will def be on here for this round. I ran into a little mishap going from 1-2 inches from BSL to idk now.....so I will be hiding out and washing more until its back where it was.

Ms_B!!! I'm glad you're going to be in on this one! Welcome back!:grin:

i think i need to detox from challenges but good luck ladies-grow-grow-grow!!! xx

I know what you mean. That's why I only have two challenges under my belt for 2011.

I'm chilling with a DC on my head that I will keep on til the morning.... I wanna find a cute wig, I been eyeing Jackie by Freetress for about a year now....maybe its about that time.

I think I'm going to try to get one of those splitenders...

Which challenges are you doing? I know you're doing this one and the WL 2011. What's the other one?

Sorry I didn't see this one

I am in the No Buy Challenge for Hair PRODUCTS only :)
I am in the WL challenge
and IN THIS ONE ;)

^^^ Gurl...We really do need to do an Intervention (Wig Style) STAT!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahaha :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
LOL Janet, it is definitely Addicting :) but at least I look nice, no bad hair days :lachen:
I mentioned that the other day that we need a wig supporters thread up in this piece! I have 16 and just ordered 2 more. it's such an addicting habit and I just can't stop!!!!! HELP ME!!!

Nah just kidding. All the wigs I buy are usually on sale or on clearance of some sort(like everything else I own) so I don't spend WAY too much on them like I totally would if I had the money to blow like that. :lachen:
I will help you let's go to the CHECK OUT BUTTON :lachen:
She doesn't have a name but she is a 1-B Off Black Regular Yaki Full Lace Wig, I bought her in 14 inches for $284 ... :hide:

Janet I seriously need an intervention I find myself buying a new wig every month! :lol:

I love that I can rock a high pony with it but I don't want to use glue or tape so I'm going to sew in a few clips ... can't wait 'til it gets here!!

:) She is beautiful though :) so enjoy her.
No intervention :)

:giggle: I'm trying to be like JJamiah when I grow up lol

Me, I will soon take updated inventory pics :lachen: LOL

I guess I'm the only one nervous about this challenge. I'll definitely be pushing myself to go through the entire 6 months, but I feel like it will actually be a CHALLENGE. I won't be using wigs, weaves or braids like it seems most of you will be doing, I'll be using buns. And I know it's going to bore me. But in preparation, I've been wearing my hair down for these last few days of 2010. So, that the bun will be something new. idk, we'll see. If anyone sees any tutorials on fancy buns send them my way, puhleeze!

I guess I'm the only one nervous about this challenge. I'll definitely be pushing myself to go through the entire 6 months, but I feel like it will actually be a CHALLENGE. I won't be using wigs, weaves or braids like it seems most of you will be doing, I'll be using buns. And I know it's going to bore me. But in preparation, I've been wearing my hair down for these last few days of 2010. So, that the bun will be something new. idk, we'll see. If anyone sees any tutorials on fancy buns send them my way, puhleeze!

Don't be nervous. I got in the HYH 2010 challenge and it worked great for me with strictly PS - bunning mostly. Check out my progress in the HYH thread (see my siggy for link, I think I'm post #2478). You just have to find your way in what works for you. HYH through bunning is very easy. There are a limited number of ways you can bun, in my opinion. The variation comes with hair accessories --> hair sticks, bling hair clips, etc.

I just recently purchased two wigs that I'm proud of (Outre HW Yasmine and Sensational LF Serena) that I've yet to wear outside of the home. I plan to debut them this week. Prior to that, all my wigs were just crummy looking. They were presentable enough to wear on the weekend but I would never wear them to work. I will be wearing Yasmine and Serena to work. So all that say, don't get discouraged. Bunning makes a difference as well so chin up, you can do this.

Last edited:
Don't be nervous. I got in the HYH 2010 challenge and it worked great for me with strictly PS - bunning mostly. Check out my progress in the HYH thread (see my siggy for link). You just have to find your way in what works for you. HYH through bunning is very easy. There are a limited number of ways you can bun, in my opinion. The variation comes with hair accessories --> hair sticks, bling hair clips, etc.

I just recently purchased two wigs that I'm proud of (Outre HW Yasmine and Sensational LF Serena) that I've yet to wear outside of the home. I plan to debut them this week. Prior to that, all my wigs were just crummy looking. They were presentable enough to wear on the weekend but I would never wear them to work. I will be wearing Yasmine and Serena to work. So all that say, don't get discouraged. Bunning makes a difference as well so chin up, you can do this.

Thanks, divachyk. I'm definitely going to go for it, but I guess I just need to find ways to make it exciting for me. The projected progress is definitely what's going to keep me going on this one. I've seen the progress pics of those who stuck through it in the past, so I'm all over it. And your hair looks great in your avatar, so it's clear that this challenge has done right by you.

I would like to join this challenge, but I think the no public viewing of the update pictures will conflict with the Braid it up challenge that I am already in.

Mommy came in yesterday. I'm gonna try to play around with her today, but I promised myself I'm not wearing any of my 10 :look: new wigs until the new year. I know I'll get tempted to wear her out before then lol

Mommy came in yesterday. I'm gonna try to play around with her today, but I promised myself I'm not wearing any of my 10 :look: new wigs until the new year. I know I'll get tempted to wear her out before then lol

LOLOLOLOL :lachen: The end of the year is close :) :grin: I want pics

I am rocking the Blair, Kay and Lili for a while, they are all the same (similar color) so It doesn't look like I am doing anything but but style change :) I am breaking down my braids definitely by December 26/27 deep conditioning it for a few hours as well as giving it a good washing. :)

Will rebraid during first week of January :)

I would like to join this challenge, but I think the no public viewing of the update pictures will conflict with the Braid it up challenge that I am already in.

You're free to post all of the pix you want as long as they don't show your true length.

As a matter of fact, I absolutely encourage everyone to take progress pix throughout the challenge. That way, when it's time for the reveal it will be a sort of reward for all of your hard work, and great source of encouragement for others.:yep:

I hope you will join us.

Last edited:
Thanks, divachyk. I'm definitely going to go for it, but I guess I just need to find ways to make it exciting for me. The projected progress is definitely what's going to keep me going on this one. I've seen the progress pics of those who stuck through it in the past, so I'm all over it. And your hair looks great in your avatar, so it's clear that this challenge has done right by you.
You are welcome. Hit me up if you need a bunning pep talk. I get annoyed some days and MsCoCo and I have helped each other through the HYH 2010...so welcome! You can be in a little circle.

I'd love to see your braids.

Don't be trying to hide that number -- I DETECT AN ADDICT.

LOLOLOLOL :lachen: The end of the year is close :) :grin: I want pics

I am rocking the Blair, Kay and Lili for a while, they are all the same (similar color) so It doesn't look like I am doing anything but but style change :) I am breaking down my braids definitely by December 26/27 deep conditioning it for a few hours as well as giving it a good washing. :)

Will rebraid during first week of January :)
Hey gurl, long time no chat!

I want to see mommy.:look:
I want to see her too.

My UPA clip is being delivered today!!! Let's get it, let's get it, let's get it, let's get it.... :lachen:
I've been eyeing one of those. I bought a phony pony and couldn't never get it to work so I'm a little leary about the UPA clip. Please post a pic when you receive it.

Back