2 Questions on Flat Ironing

inthepink

1. How do you keep your ends from being flat ironed "smooshed?" I've been practicing a bit with my new Jilbere flatiron and I haven't figured out the trick to get my ends smooth like the rest of my hair. If I run over them a second time, I can get them smooth but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
confused.gif

2. Why does the flat iron make squeaking noises when it gets to my relaxed hair?
confused.gif

Re: 2 Questions of Flat Ironing

Are you putting anything on your hair for the flat iron..like a protectant? I like Sebastain's Iron Works protecting spray.. That would prolly help with your ends and such.. it makes a big difference I think...

My iron doesn't squeak either so I can't help you with that..sorry
frown.gif

*bump* because I don't know the answer to this either...I flat ironed my hair this past weekend, and just placed a few rollers loosely at the very bottom for awhile before I left. It gave them a smooth bend at the ends. I don't know how to accomplish the same look just with the iron.

Don't know about the squeaky noise??

Thanks, Rushgirl. I was just testing out my flatiron so I didn't use a protectant. I only did a small section. I am betting now that when I do use my serum and heat protectant, my ends will probably be fine and I have a feeling this will help the squeaking issue! LOL

Using a protectant really helps.. I have a slue of products..lol NT has a leave-in protectant, Kiwi Blow Serum is suppose to be good, Redken Heat Glide is good, Nioxin bliss is really good...I also have Redken Hot Sets I think it's called.. you use that one like you do the Sebastian one.. spray it on right before you flat iron.. PM makes a heat seal that some people seem to like. Some people also use that Get N Creamed as a heat protectant..
ANYWAY..lol Which heat protectant do you use?

You can bend your ends with the iron just like you do with your rollers.. I'm not sure how that jilbere is but I can curl my hair like a curling iron does with my FHI.. Just practice..you'll get the hang of it..

I have Pantene Heat Protectant and Aveda Smoothing Fluid. I'll use both of these when I finally flat iron!

Thanks for the info. I think with more practice, I'll be able to get a nice bend to my ends.

I think the best one would be the Redken Smooth down heat glide. I love that one!

I use Biosilk Silk Therapy. I love it. It's not heavy, and it leaves your hair shiny, silky, and bouncy! Sally's makes a generic version BTW. HTH

TnB - I bought the generic version of this but I was thinking I'd return it b/c I realized it's just a serum like 2 others that I already own. Have you compared this product to any others? I could probably use it and still return it if I don't like it since I got it from Sally's.

Definitely with more practice you will get it fer sure!;) I hear that Aveda one is good.. prolly smells good too!! Yah, I hear the Sally generic of the Biosilk and the Sebastain Potion 9 is really good.. aahh..so many products, so little time..lol
smirk.gif

I think using good products (that work for your hair) will help with smoothing your ends out without having to go over them a second time with the flat iron. As far as your second question, I have no idea.

Hairlove,

I've only used Biosilk. I've heard the Sally's version is a little thicker but I haven't tried it. Some hair stores sell tiny bottles of Biosilk for probably $4 or $5 if you want to sample it. But definitely use a serum (you don't need too much) before you flat iron...

Thanks for the info everyone. I thinkt he smooth ends thing has to do with technique so I will hopefully get it right the next time! It's like...I need to pull my fine tooth comb through my ends RIGHT before flat iron. I will figure this out!

When do you apply the Biosilk (or any serum)? While your hair is airdrying or just before flatironing each section?

Allandra - the Aveda smoothing fluid worked find on my hair but it has oils in it so I worry about greasy hair. This is what has me considering using the Generic Biosilk instead.

Hmmm.. when I use a serum..like Reken's Heat Glide or that Artec one..I put it in my wet hair before I blow dry.. but that Sebastian one I was tell you about..that spray..I spray that on my dry hair just before flatironing each section..

Others might do different things though..

Thanks, RushGirl!
smile.gif

I think this first time flatironing is going to be a learning experience for me. Hopefully, I'll figure out a few things!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks, RushGirl!
smile.gif

I think this first time flatironing is going to be a learning experience for me. Hopefully, I'll figure out a few things!

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you don't even need to flat iron your hair or do anything else.. it's perfectly fine the way it is.. seriously.. You have really pretty hair that doesn't need anything done to it as far as I can see!
wink.gif
You'll get the hang of flat ironing.. like with everything else..practice..

[ QUOTE ]
ThickNBeautiful said:
RushGirl,

What exactly is the Sebastion Potion 9?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a leave in.. I like it alot..I bought the real stuff but I hear the generic at Sally's is the exact same so I will get that from now on..

Here's what is says on the tube:

*Hair! Fiber! Fabric! Fashion!
*What you wear begins with your hair.
*What's on your body - the most comfortable thing you own.
*What's in your hair - Potion 9 wearable treatment.
*It makes your hair comfortable, lived in - stylish.
*The only wearable treatment with nine ingredients to help repair damaged hair while building in style.
*Anytime! Anywhere! Anybody! Pure magic!
*Fashion tested.

Instructions
Apply to towel-dried hair. Style as desired.
Ingredients
Water Aqua , Glycerin , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein , Stearalkonium Chloride , Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Cetearyl Alcohol , Polysorbate 60 , PVP , Trimethylsilylamodimethicone , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Silk , Cetyl Alcohol , Methyl Gluceth-10 , Octyl Methoxycinnamate , Panthenol , Jojoba Oil Simmondsia Chinensis , Safflower Oil Carthamus Tinctorius , Macadamia Ternifolia Nut Oil , Babassu Oil Orbignya Oleifera , Borage Seed Oil Borago Officinalis , Evening Primrose Oil Oenothera Biennis , Dog Rose Hips Oil Rosa Canina , Propylene Glycol , Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride , Allspice Extract Pimenta Dioica , Lemongrass Extract Cymbopogon Schoenanthus , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Phenoxyethanol , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Potassium Sorbate , Citric Acid , Fragrance Parfum , Annatto CI 75120 , Ext D&C Violet No 2 CI 60730 , D&C Orange No. 4 CI 15510 , FD&C Red No. 40 CI 16035

Is the Potion 9 a thick/creamy leave-in?

Thanks again for the compliments. Sometimes I just want a new look and also to prove to myself that my hair IS growing!

You're welcome.. Your hair looks damn good to me!

The potion 9 is a leave in..I wouldn't say it's creamy like Get N Creamed.. it's more like the consistancy of Phyto's Defrisant.. have you used that before? Almost kinda like a gel..but it's not clear... it's orange.. I'm bad at trying to explain things like that..but I hope it kinda makes sense.. It's kinda like the color of a dreamsicle.. I read a few people say that it's kinda like Sally's generic version of PM The Cream..

Does that help?

I put in in before I blow dry..

Back