Your Hair is so... "fun"

TinyBlu

I have dealt with the "Why did you do that's" from my family and my grandmother talkikng about me being part of the MOVEMENT, but it never ceases to amaze me when the "others" comment on my Sisterlocked hair.

The most recent comment was Your hair looks so "fun". It looks like yarn!

I couldn't help but laugh. The poor lady even followed up with "Do you wash it?" Yes ma'am.

How do you wash it? With shampoo like everyone else...

I must be PMS'ing today. I am even more sensitive than usual. Just venting!!

I really wanted to say... your hair looks so... BORING!!!

That's interesting...I've been getting some comments similar to that. One person told me that when I wore my hair in a fro that it was "fun". I asked her what she meant by that, she said "I don't know, just fun"

Sometimes questions like that lead me to believe that they find it as an oddity.

I can't be worried about it, though.

The "Do you wash it" question was going too far...

Maybe she asked if you washed it because she was under the impression that it would "unravel" after washing. I'm trying to rationalize here..

Maybe she asked if you washed it because she was under the impression that it would "unravel" after washing. I'm trying to rationalize here..
:grin:

You're probably right.

She may have been a little ignorant, but some white people just have no clue what non-straightened 3 & 4 type hair looks like. Heck, some black people don't either. [cynical]Oh well, we're an alien species to them anyways, why would hair be any different?[/cynical]

To her defense, hair is kinda fun when it's working properly. :laugh:

WOOOOOWWWW. Do you wash it?!?!? You handled that one well OP...I would've burst into laughter so she knew the depth of her ridiculousness!!! I actually got to school with almost all whites and asians and i've never heard anything so silly!!!

I've actually heard it too but I always view it as a compliment, coz I too think my hair is fun. It's versatility makes it fun and when my friend with straight hair whines about how she wishes her hair could do all the things mine does, I believe her too, coz I know I'd hate it if I couldn't do anything else but wear my hair straight. Hers doesn't even keep a curl all day. Maybe technique is the problem, but I'm glad that there's no complicated technique needed to make my hair do all the things it can.

OP, your post made me laugh especially your last line
I really wanted to say... your hair looks so... BORING!!!
because clearly you're PMSing. :rofl: I agree with the question "Do you wash it?" being asked because it seemed like it'd mess the do up, coz I've been asked something similar about braids but it was more like "How do you wash it without them coming out?"

I don't think it's always about trying to diss us. I think people sometimes are genuinely intrigued and just finally get the courage to ask.

I looked at my hair today pulled back into a mighty cute puff (can't believe I can make a puff people!) and remarking to myself how different it looks from my twistout, which looks different from my wash n go...and I was like WOW! This versatility is so F U N !!!!! :)

I wore braids for over a year. It was mighty convenient. Now that I have my natural loose texture out, I didn't realize how much I miss playing in it. Our hair is fun and interesting and all that good stuff. And I know that the questions may seem a little odd to you, but you should embrace them. It's much more odd for people not to ask questions. That means that they are making their own assumptions. And you know what happens when people assume...

I think my hair is "FUN" too! But the "do you wash it?" ....well I never know where to go with that one...I can't ever tell if they are just being an a$$

I won't even lie, prior to joining hair sites I thought you couldn't wash locs. I assumed that they just grew in like that and you'd never wash your hair. Well now I know better. Hopefuly that crazy lady with the silly comment does too!

Back