Your favorite ingredients and what they do for your hair

CodeRed

Agave nectar - soft hair

Apple cider vinegar - shiny hair

Nettle - stops dry and itchy scalp.... don't know what was going on but I saved a ton of money not having to go to the dermatologist to figure it out

Baking soda - cleans/strips my hair, depending on how concentrated I make it

List yours :grin:

Honey or Agave- Attract all kinds of deliciousness Moisture

Behentrimonium Methosulfate- Supplies Slip

Marshmallow Root- Makes the make soft and has slip for years

Slippery Elm- Slip for Mo' years

Castor Oil- Gives my hair a nice emollient coating. Seals like no ones business

Hempseed Oil- Smooths my strands like a boss'

Grapeseed Oil- Leaves my hair silky and EXTREMELY shiny!

I'm sure there is more, but these are all that come to mind. Be back if I think of anymore.

Mild Hydrolyzed Protein (wheat, silk, keratin, etc)- temporarily fills in cracks, chips, holes in highly porous hair; adds strength and structure to strands

Grapeseed and Avocado Oil: helps me detangle dry hair and also seal

Hemp Butter and Avocado Butter- awesome sealant s

IA with EnExitStageLeft- Behentrimonium Methosulfate- is great for slip

Honey or Agave- Attract all kinds of deliciousness Moisture

Behentrimonium Methosulfate- Supplies Slip

Marshmallow Root- Makes the make soft and has slip for years

Slippery Elm- Slip for Mo' years

Castor Oil- Gives my hair a nice emollient coating. Seals like no ones business

Hempseed Oil- Smooths my strands like a boss'

Grapeseed Oil- Leaves my hair silky and EXTREMELY shiny!

I'm sure there is more, but these are all that come to mind. Be back if I think of anymore.

Thanks for sharing. I did not know of "Behentrimonium Methosulfate" (I'm still learning to recognize ingredients)... but how bouts I ran and grabbed my jar of ORS Curls Unleashed Moisturizing Conditioner to see if its there and low and behold it is! This stuff gives ridiculous slip and makes my hair feel so soft. Will be looking out for this ingredient in any other products I decide to try. Loves it! lol!:grin:

Agave nectar - soft hair

Apple cider vinegar - shiny hair

Nettle - stops dry and itchy scalp.... don't know what was going on but I saved a ton of money not having to go to the dermatologist to figure it out

Baking soda - cleans/strips my hair, depending on how concentrated I make it

List yours :grin:

How do you incorporate the baking soda? Do you mix it with something?

@Andrea2012

My mom recently purchased this and the accompanying shampoo after running out of her Beloved NuNaat Karite Masque and Creme Of Nature Sunflower Shampoo. She likes it a lot. She is currently in wonderwraps or Tree Braids.... or whatever you call those things :lol:. The true test will be when she takes them out. She's been diluting them with water so she could distribute it a bit more evenly, so she really want to see how it will behave when used at its full strength.

Last edited:
Mild Hydrolyzed Protein (wheat, silk, keratin, etc)- temporarily fills in cracks, chips, holes in highly porous hair; adds strength and structure to strands

IA with EnExitStageLeft- Behentrimonium Methosulfate- is great for slip

Where do you buy your butters from? How much?
loulou82

Behentrimonium Methosulfate... If it ain't in there, it ain't for me!! Amazing slip!

Grapeseed oil, almond oil, EVOO... Sealing, shine.

Marshmallow root: slip and moisture.

IA with @EnExitStageLeft- Behentrimonium Methosulfate- is great for slip

I co-sign on hydrolyzed proteins. Good stuff. Garden of wisdom gets my business for that every time.

Aloe vera - softness, glossiness.

Honey - hydrating

Hydrolysed silk proteins/amino acids - manageability, volume

Panthenol - full, soft hair for days :infatuated:

I am an ingredients person all the way!! Does this ever happen to you?

A product has almost all the ingredients you know and love but also one or two that are deal breakers! I hate when this happens!!

I just started mixing my own DCs for this reason.

My hair loves hydrolyzed (collagen, silk, wheat, keratin, milk, wheat, etc)

I have the hydrolyzed silk powder. I put a teaspoon in everything!! It gives me that extra moisture I need for balance.

Glycerin
Rose water
AVJ/powder
Honey

I'm not even sure I should be in this thread, but my fine, porous hair seems ok with these things:

Cationic surfactants (e.g. behentrimonium methosulfate, centrimonium bromide) - Slip, moisture and shine for days. I now understand why, among the many conditioners I've tried, primarily those with cationic surfactants high in the list of ingredients were the only conditioners that truly worked. Kenra MC was the most moisturizing DC I've ever used. I only stopped using it because I thought it gave me build-up.

Hydrolyzed protein for moisture retention.

Grapeseed oil for emollience

I also like ACV (smooth, shiny hair) and panthenol (I agree with "soft, full hair for days"; it seems to work best in cold temps).

Zinc Pyrithione: Cleanses scalp completely, significantly reduces seborrheic dermatitis symptoms, heals sores, prevents relaxer burns

Hydrolyzed Silk
: Softens, deeply penetrates

Hydrolyzed Collagen: Adds elasticity, strengthens

Hydrolyzed Keratin: Strengthens, adds durability

Coconut Oil
: Penetrates hair for added nourishment, conditions, protects

Olive Oil: Nourishes, conditions, penetrates hair while locking in moisture

Macadamia Oil: Reduces frizz, softens, adds shine

Glycerin: Draws moisture to hair

Dimethicone/Amodimethicone: Detangles, softens

Avocado butter: smoothing, softness, great sheen

Castor oil: softness, is a humectant & holds moisture, great for thick hair

Coconut oil: moisturizes, penetrates shaft

Olive oil: deep cleansing & deep moisturizing

Clay (in mud washes): cleans gently without stripping, leaves hair soft, removes plastics & buildup that regular shampoo leaves

Water: the perfect moisturizer when used alone in a spray bottle & worked in then sealed w/ oil

The above (plus the AVJ & essential oils in Terressentials mud wash) are all I use.

Silk and Keratin Protein- I love that stuff.

Honey- Thanks Worker Bees

Avocado and Apricot Oil- Soft Hair

Coconut cream- Soft Hair

Burdock Root- Great for my itchy scalp

Cocoa Butter- Excellent conditioner for me

Horsetail Tea- Stronger Hair

BM- Slip City!!!!

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Carboxylic Acid- Helps Protein bind to the hair shaft, I love this in my Shampoo's prior to a Reconstructive or strengthening treatment :lick:.

Carboxylic Acid- Helps Protein bind to the hair shaft, I love this in my Shampoo's prior to a Reconstructive or strengthening treatment :lick:.

Yep. I got that tip from reading the newbies manual. I think Supergirl wrote a post about it. For that reason, I use my keracare detangling shampoo before every protein treatment.
I don't know if it makes a difference when I don't use it though, lol. But I love that shampoo anyways so I use it.

Fine 4s

I purchased previous batches from From Nature With Love. They were sold out so I placed my last order with New Directions.

ETA: How much as in ounces- 3-4 ounces at a time for each butter and I mix up different blends. The shelf life is 1-2 years depending on the particular butter and how you store it. How much price wise- I cannot recall how much but I try to purchase several items at a time to keep shipping reasonable.

Last edited:
Which poo is that?

PJaye named a good bit of them. My personal favs are:

Soft Sheen Carson Fortifying Moisturizing Breathru Anti-Breakage Shampoo: (Discontinued) I love it though because not only does it contain carboxylic acid, but it contains ceramides as well (artificial ceramides to be exact. They are more potent then natural ceramides). They don't help bind protein, however they do act like protein by strengthening, rebuilding and smoothing the hair shaft.

Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo: I love this because not only does it contain carboxylic acid and ceramides (natural ceramides), but its chalk full of humectants as well. So it really does set up for optimum conditioning, whether moisture or protein based.

HTH's

PJaye named a good bit of them. My personal favs are:

Soft Sheen Carson Fortifying Moisturizing Breathru Anti-Breakage Shampoo: (Discontinued) I love it though because not only does it contain carboxylic acid, but it contains ceramides as well (artificial ceramides to be exact. They are more potent then natural ceramides). They don't help bind protein, however they do act like protein by strengthening, rebuilding and smoothing the hair shaft.

Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo: I love this because not only does it contain carboxylic acid and ceramides (natural ceramides), but its chalk full of humectants as well. So it really does set up for optimum conditioning, whether moisture or protein based.

HTH's

Nice post. Now I'm excited to use my go moist.

I don't exactly know what these ingredients do, but my hair really responds well to them.

Peach Kernel Oil
Marshmallow root
Rose Hip Seed Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Calendula
Meadowfoam Seed oil
Silk Amino Acids
Sea Kelp
Wheat Germ Oil
Jojoba
Yarrow
Safflower Seed oil
Panthenol and Aloe Vera (I wasn't going to put this two, but it seems like all my conditioners have them in it.)

Back