You want to know what I find REALLY discouraging?

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

When everyone raves about a hair growth product/vitamin for a month and then no one hears anything about it again. Is it that everyone just stops using it? Or does the growth slow down or become unnoticeable after a while? Like Puritan's Pride biotin. Everyone ordered it but where are the testimonials? Does anyone have a success story in which they can attribute at least six inches to one particular product? Has anyone used a product that single handedly helped them achieve their goal?

Hey Honeyrockette
wave.gif
, I can't honestly say that I haven't found any miracle product or vitamin for hair growth. But it's all in the name of experimenting for me. I personally feel that it's not any one thing you do, but a combination of things. I know where you're coming from though. When I hear about a great vitamin or product I'm all over it trying to get faster growth. What I've learned is to develop a good hair care regime and develop a vitamin base that your hair and overall health will benefit from. If I stick with it long enough, I'm sure my hair will reap the benefits.
smile.gif
Keep it Simple and be consistent.
smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
HoneyRockette said:
When everyone raves about a hair growth product/vitamin for a month and then no one hears anything about it again. Is it that everyone just stops using it? Or does the growth slow down or become unnoticeable after a while? Like Puritan's Pride biotin. Everyone ordered it but where are the testimonials? Does anyone have a success story in which they can attribute at least six inches to one particular product? Has anyone used a product that single handedly helped them achieve their goal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't it normally take at least three months for vitamins to work?

The only thing I can really attribute any measureable increase and retention of length is when I wore braids for 4 months. I got 3 inchs and that about 3/4 inch a month. I retain about 1/2 inch without the braids. As far as products, I use a combination of products to maintain by relaxed hair.

When I used to do roller sets once a week and wore my hair down curly, my hair hardly growed at all, but once I started doing braid outs and wearing my hair up, my hair took off. So, I can't say rinsing my hair and scalp every night has contributed to growth, but my scalp and hair likes the water.

I not sure what is making my hair grow...but I do believe it is the constant use of water(distilled).
So that is the one 'product' that is consistent for me and has contributed greatly to my growth.

Armyqt said:
I can't honestly say that I haven't found any miracle product or vitamin for hair growth. But it's all in the name of experimenting for me. I personally feel that it's not any one thing you do, but a combination of things.

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely agree. I don't think there will ever be a miracle product or vitamin for hair growth.

There definitely is no miracle hair growth product. I attribute my hair growth to a healthy body, a good haircare routine, and GENETICS........

SherryLove35

I would love to know where to purchase distilled water. I tried the two supermarkets by where I live and nothing. The stores are Pathmark and Stop and Shop. I would love to add distilled water to my regime.
crazy.gif

I think you're looking for some type of "miracle growth" formula Honeyrockette. You must have patience and not fixate on your hair so much.

I agree with the others, that a good routine, healthy eating and doing less to your hair will make it grow.

U no i agree w/u cause i have noticed that ever since i have done these bantu knots and then finger combed them out afterwards i have noticed some growth in my hair. Perticularly on the sides of my head as im twisting it i notice that im having more hair to twist now. :^D Me so haaappppyyyyy. hehe. I am now starting to try to wash my hair more than once a week, maybe every 5 days JUST to see how it goes. Last time i did it tuesday the next day my hair was harder, course i had accidentally spilled a bit much of the INfusium 23 in my hair so thats prolly why. hehe. Cant wait till my hair is long enough so i can just put this in just 4 knots all over my head.

crysdon said:I agree with the others, that a good routine, healthy eating and doing less to your hair will make it grow.

I agree. I have started taking PP Biotin and I believe that it is increasing my growth BUT I will not see a change umless a keep breakage to a minimum. I have noticed the most growth in my hair when I pretty much leave it alone, braid outs, up do's braids or what not. The less stress I put on my hair the more growth I get.

Tonya said:
crysdon said:I agree with the others, that a good routine, healthy eating and doing less to your hair will make it grow.

I agree. I have started taking PP Biotin and I believe that it is increasing my growth BUT I will not see a change umless a keep breakage to a minimum. I have noticed the most growth in my hair when I pretty much leave it alone, braid outs, up do's braids or what not. The less stress I put on my hair the more growth I get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second all this
smile.gif

No. I am not looking for magic, just consistency. I said product only because I see that a lot of people get an inch per month using product X yet no one is ever an inch closer to their goal. I am really referring to vitamins though, not topical oils or creams.

Well, honestly I have noticed soem growth in my hair since I started takign PP Biotin so I think it is potent I am just not sure of how many inches....I will try to monitor it better
smile.gif

i cannot say i've received growth form product x as well but the vitamins helped a lot coz my growth has jumped from less thana quarter a month to an inch a month
smile.gif

and to those that buy distilled water, wudnt it be better to jus boil normal water from the tap??

I have been doing well with the HF-37, viviscal, flax seed,, biotin, fo-ti, sea weed(spirulina), multi, etc..

It's helped me get more growth per month than I would ususally get. My growth actually has gone up since I've been using these vit's. But everyone is different and it's just a matter of finding what works for you. But you can do it and it will eventually come together just be diligent and ptient.
hth
smile.gif

Re: You want to know what I find REALLY discouragi

Girl, as far as topical hair products go:

About 93% of us on the board are PJ's and we never stick with any 1 product long enough to really know. I will say that being a PJ is helping my hair (if that makes sense)

I do remember that when I was consistent with one prouduct, my hair really thrived from it. It was the Mizani Moisturefuse (old formula). My hair is still thriving now, but it's hard to pinpoint which product is helping because I use so many! I will say that keeping heat off does help BIG TIME
smile.gif

I do not believe that wearing a particular hairstyle (braids, jheri curl, weave, buns, etc) will make hair grow any faster. There's a difference between increasing growth and maintaining the length of your hair once it's out of your scalp. The latter is what a hairstyle can assist a person with.

keke said:
U no i agree w/u cause i have noticed that ever since i have done these bantu knots and then finger combed them out afterwards i have noticed some growth in my hair. Perticularly on the sides of my head as im twisting it i notice that im having more hair to twist now. :^D Me so haaappppyyyyy. hehe. I am now starting to try to wash my hair more than once a week, maybe every 5 days JUST to see how it goes. Last time i did it tuesday the next day my hair was harder, course i had accidentally spilled a bit much of the INfusium 23 in my hair so thats prolly why. hehe. Cant wait till my hair is long enough so i can just put this in just 4 knots all over my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

congradulations. Keep going and your hair will be long enough. I think what's good about this board is that it gives you hope to believe that your hair will and can grow. Personally, I'm loving these protective hairstyles. I mean, sometimes I want to wear my hair out all wild and free, but most of the time, I like getting it out of the way. After my last touch up (4 wks ago), I got my hair blow dryed and lightly flat ironed, and it looked so nice (it's almost top of bra strap--the longest it's ever been. My husband measured last night and said now, I'm 1/2 inch to an inch from bra strap. That's hard for me to believe--I still don't, and I can't tell because it shrinks up so much) but it got in the way of everything when I wore it straight. I had to watch my seat belt. It was always rubbing against my neck, so to make a long story short,
doing rinse outs and protective hairstyles for me, is no hardship, and I think they benefit the hair. If anything, they keep the hair from getting snagged on stuff like seatbelts.

Update: last night i took some of my hair on the sides and stretched them to see how far they go. Well...:^D both sides, esp. the left side, is almost under my chin. They both touch my jaw. B4 i started this stuff both sides only were a lil past my ear, now they are touching my jaw and are about to be UNDER my chin. hehe. Soon touching my neck. woo hoo me so happy. PLUS, big plus, this is how long it is and i haven't even had my new growth pressed/permed out, so just imagine how much longer it'll be then. :^D :^D :^D yippee. Now im gonna go in next week for a touchup(aint had a perm since mid-feb.) I'm afraid though. I hope not too much cuttin will happen and i hope that i can still do these knots or something to this effect w/my hair. I love this style. Its what i call freedom hair. :^D

I feel you though...its kinda like deep down I know there isn't miracles or magic, and that same tips always always always return for retaining length, but it is kind of frustrating to allow yourself to purchase something because everyone is going nuts over it, and then it doesn't really work, or worse, it actually messes up your hair. I know the whole deal about trial and error and what works for someone doesn't work for everyone; but I don't think anyone can disagree that its disappointing when you see 89 posts on something, and then you try it and
ohwell.gif
I hope no one looks at this as negative or pessimistic, I was just saying that I can relate all too well.

but I don't think anyone can disagree that its disappointing when you see 89 posts on something, and then you try it and
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Not only that but my thing is, after the henna or biotin thread is long forgotten, like in six or eight months from now, will anyone still be using it? Will anyone even still have it? There don't seem to be any keepers here, but you are right. I just realized how many product junkies there are here. That explains everything!

keke said:
Update: last night i took some of my hair on the sides and stretched them to see how far they go. Well...:^D both sides, esp. the left side, is almost under my chin. They both touch my jaw. B4 i started this stuff both sides only were a lil past my ear, now they are touching my jaw and are about to be UNDER my chin. hehe. Soon touching my neck. woo hoo me so happy. PLUS, big plus, this is how long it is and i haven't even had my new growth pressed/permed out, so just imagine how much longer it'll be then. :^D :^D :^D yippee. Now im gonna go in next week for a touchup(aint had a perm since mid-feb.) I'm afraid though. I hope not too much cuttin will happen and i hope that i can still do these knots or something to this effect w/my hair. I love this style. Its what i call freedom hair. :^D

[/ QUOTE ]

If the last time you went to the salon was in February, I would only get a small trim, if that. Please! Don't let them touch your hair
look.gif
It sounds like it's doing very well! I know what you mean about stretching your hair out to see how long it is. I tell myself I'm not going to do this, but I end up doing it every night. Once I get off the internet, I'm going to go rinse my hair out, and of course, stretch it out!

CurlyCrly said:
I do not believe that wearing a particular hairstyle (braids, jheri curl, weave, buns, etc) will make hair grow any faster. There's a difference between increasing growth and maintaining the length of your hair once it's out of your scalp. The latter is what a hairstyle can assist a person with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree CurlyCrly.
smile.gif
I'm a big fan of braids, but I don't think the braids grow your hair any longer than it would normally grow. Braids can help retain the length, IF one does the right things when taking them down and caring for the hair afterwards.
smile.gif

after the henna or biotin thread is long forgotten, like in six or eight months from now, will anyone still be using it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will!
wave.gif
Henna conditioning treatments and PPB are definite keepers in my routine.

I can only speak for myself, but when I stop raving about a product it's because I've gotten used to the good results and the excitement has worn off or the because product has stopped working for me.
frown.gif
When I try something that everyone has raved about and it doesn't work for me, I keep my mouth shut until someone asks for a review.
user.gif
"That piece of
censored.gif
product had my hair glued to my head..."
cool.gif

Does anyone have a success story in which they can attribute at least six inches to one particular product? Has anyone used a product that single handedly helped them achieve their goal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing I've used has sped up my growth rate.
ohwell.gif
But I have achieved my goal of soft, moisturized, less tangly hair that doesn't snap off as soon as I look at it.
grin.gif
For the first time in ages I'm managing to keep the hair that grows on my head. For a long time, I was stuck in a "grow, break, grow, break" cycle. The best things to happen to my hair were better quality combs, vitamin supplements, S-curl spray and the homemade Herbal Tame recipe.

So, I can't say rinsing my hair and scalp every night has contributed to growth, but my scalp and hair likes the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I started working out regularly again. For two weeks I've done conditioner washes every day (VO5 Pina Colada or Creamy Citrus) and a "real" shampoo once a week. My hair really likes getting wet every day.

Yes, exaclty i want JUST a trim and i think that is all that it needs. Ooh man i think imma just wait till next month. lol. But i'll be in Cedar Point then and i wanna maybe go on the water rides. Hmmm. :^S Plus i like this curly style im rockin and im afraid when it gets permed it'll be too limp to curl again. :^P

Back