Yikes!! Shikakai poo bar stripped my hair!!

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I washed my hair tonight and I used the Shikakai poo bar to wash it. Man, that stuff left my hair feeling like I had used a clarifying poo 10 times!!:wallbash: My hair was so rough to the touch. I had heard of others washing their hair with it and it left their hair soft. My hair was far from the truth. And what's weird is that I had washed my hair once with it and I didn't have any problems with it whatsoever. Needless to say, I washed it with my VS Nourishing poo and condish. I don't think I'll be using that shikakai bar on my hair again:nono:

Oh no! I am sorry to hear about our bad experience. I hated it the first time too. But now, love it! One question: did you oil your hair before using the bar? Shikakai bar MUST be used on pre-oiled hair for best results. I didn't do that my first time. I did do the oiling the second time, and my hair felt absolutely divine! I have not bought or used shampoo since.

I washed my mom's hair with it yesterday and it did fell stripped while rinsing...but once I put a little oil in and blow dried it, it was pretty soft.

Oh no! I am sorry to hear about our bad experience. I hated it the first time too. But now, love it! One question: did you oil your hair before using the bar? Shikakai bar MUST be used on pre-oiled hair for best results. I didn't do that my first time. I did do the oiling the second time, and my hair felt absolutely divine! I have not bought or used shampoo since.

that's what the indian guy told me at the store

OMG!!! You know what? No, I didn't oil my hair! That explains it then. Last time I used it, I oiled my hair the night before and the bar didn't give me any problems. In fact, I liked it alot, and that's why I kept it around. This time, I just went to work on it with no oil. Thank you for pointing this little fact out for me. Now that I remember, I won't throw out my bar just yet. I'll give it another go to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again girlie!!

The bar is garbage to be honest. it has way to many soap ingredients. and to go through a lot of processing to get into a form of a sop. the POWDERS is the Real deal. try and invest getting the powders

The bar is garbage to be honest. it has way to many soap ingredients. and to go through a lot of processing to get into a form of a sop. the POWDERS is the Real deal. try and invest getting the powders
I have the powders too. But last time I used them, I had little pieces of grit in my hair that stayed in there for a few days and it got on my nerves, so I left them alone for a while. I'm going to revisit them again when I get a cheap coffee maker to make an herbal rinse.

OMG!!! You know what? No, I didn't oil my hair! That explains it then. Last time I used it, I oiled my hair the night before and the bar didn't give me any problems. In fact, I liked it alot, and that's why I kept it around. This time, I just went to work on it with no oil. Thank you for pointing this little fact out for me. Now that I remember, I won't throw out my bar just yet. I'll give it another go to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again girlie!!

No problem. And if you still aren't happy with it, I'll be more than happy to take it off of your hands :grin:

It is a traditional soap. Soap is very simple to make, no big deal at all. I also use the powders. I like both. I read on here once a while back that a member made her own bars of shikakai soap. I bought my daughter a soap making kit, perhaps I can get her to make me a homemade shikakai bar :yep:

I have infused coconut oil with shikaikai, and strained all but a little of the grit out. I oiled my hair/scalp and rinsed out in the morning. It left my hair clean with no bits, when I rinsed really well. Maybe you could try the powders that way if you decide to try it again.

for real?
yall aren't using a moisturizing conditioner afterwards?
that will get rid of the stripped feeling.

i ADORE my shikakai soap bar, and i get great results every time, because i MOISTURIZE afterwards.

PLEASE don't give up on a product just because you don't use it right the first time... your hair could be missing out on a great thing!

I hated the bar too. Just threw it away today.

I like the shikaki, amla, bhirajing (sp.) better.

It is a traditional soap. Soap is very simple to make, no big deal at all. I also use the powders. I like both. I read on here once a while back that a member made her own bars of shikakai soap. I bought my daughter a soap making kit, perhaps I can get her to make me a homemade shikakai bar :yep:

Med Munky you gave me an idea. I make soap :yep: been doing it for years maybe I should try making a batch of shakakai poo bars.

I just purchased two swastik shikakai bars today... Im almost afraid to give it a try. Guess I'll just make sure to deep condition very well afterwards. I want to feel that strength it gives to your hair that many have been raving about.

I just purchased two swastik shikakai bars today... Im almost afraid to give it a try. Guess I'll just make sure to deep condition very well afterwards. I want to feel that strength it gives to your hair that many have been raving about.

that's the same brand of shikakai bar that i use. it's AMAZING!!!

you'll get best results if you douse your hair in some type of oil before using the bar. i used olive oil last time, then lathered, then rinsed. my hair felt squeaky clean. then i deep conditioned with heat for 30 minutes, and my hair came out feeling like silk.

my hair still feels great even when i don't use an oil beforehand (but i always pre-poo before washing).

don't be afraid, you'll be alright as long as you condition afterwards!

that's the same brand of shikakai bar that i use. it's AMAZING!!!

you'll get best results if you douse your hair in some type of oil before using the bar. i used olive oil last time, then lathered, then rinsed. my hair felt squeaky clean. then i deep conditioned with heat for 30 minutes, and my hair came out feeling like silk.

my hair still feels great even when i don't use an oil beforehand (but i always pre-poo before washing).

don't be afraid, you'll be alright as long as you condition afterwards!

Thanks for the advise pookie :yep: I'll be sure to oil my hair up real good before washing. Can't wait!

those not liking the Skikakai bar for their hair may want to trey it on their skin... Ive been using it to wash my face with and am liking it a lot... its been doing a great job of bring up gunk out of my pores...

I have only pre-pooed with oil once before using the shikakai bar. I use it every week and my hair has this tensile strength feeling afterward. It does not feel soft or moisturized, but it does not feel "bad," if I can use that word as I cannot think of another term right now. It feels strong. I always, always, always follow with a moisturizing conditioner and the combination leaves me with amazing hair. I cannot explain it, but it seems like washing with the shikakai bar "prepares" or "primes" (if that makes any sense) my hair and after using the moisturizing condish and leave-in and sealing, my hair feels amazing. It does NOT turn out as well when I use other shampoo bars or shampoo.

ETA: to add not

Last edited:
I have only pre-pooed with oil once before using the shikakai bar. I use it every week and my hair has this tensile strength feeling afterward. It does not feel soft or moisturized, but it does not feel "bad," if I can use that word as I cannot think of another term right now. It feels strong. I always, always, always follow with a moisturizing conditioner and the combination leaves me with amazing hair. I cannot explain it, but it seems like washing with the shikakai bar "prepares" or "primes" (if that makes any sense) my hair and after using the moisturizing condish and leave-in and sealing, my hair feels amazing. It does turn out as well when I use other shampoo bars or shampoo.

^^^ITA! I alway DC after my washes, whether with the bar, pastes or cowashes. You are right, the bar does prepare the hair well for moisturizing conditioners, instant or deep. My hair feels soft and detangled directly after washing with shikakai bar. I also use Swastik brand, since last fall. It is a staple in my Ayurvedic regimen. My hair has thrived wonderfully with it.

Man, ayurvedics in general were a little disapointing to me.

I used them regularly BUT when I did a co-wash because I was too lazy to mix my powders, my hair felt so soft that I realized how much I missed my co-washes and how not so moisturizing those powders were :(

I use ayumix Shikakai Soap with Neem and Amla. Has anyone ever used it before. I've only used it once, without oiling first, and my hair turned out fine...I did do a dc with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards though. Next wash, I will pre-poo with oil also!

Other than the funky stankness of the Shikakai bar... I had a good experience the first time I used it.

But the second time. There was this heavy waxiness going on all up in my hair. I'm not sure what products I had used that prior week but something in my hair was :catfight:battling with the shikakai suds. I have put my shikakai use on hold.

My friend loves hers she washes her face & body with it.
I'm still struggling with the smell. It's some funky mess!

Yeah, it does stink, but I can deal with it. I'm going to try it again next wash day, and oil my hair the night before. I'll post my results again this time around. Thanks for all of the advice ladies.

Back