yet another dominican salon rant

cami88

*hangs head in shame* I should know better after all the horror stories posted on this site, though mine isn't nearly as bad as many I've read on here.

So, I decided that today would be the day for my semiannual length check. I go to the same salon I've been to twice before (the last time I went was in August). My hair is a very kinky 4b natural, and I'm within spitting distance of bsl. Well, of course as soon as I walk in, immediately, I can see the fear in their eyes. I sit down and right away the stylist asks me if I want a relaxer (as usual, never once have I been spared the 'relaxer, mami?' question) Well, I decline.
Then, she tells me (all in broken english, btw, not that this really matters, just sayin) that she will have to charge me extra because "this is very terrible". :ohwell: Then she says I have enough hair on my head for 4 people ( I can't argue)

So she's trying to comb through it (thank god, with a wide tooth comb) and she's doin all this huffing and puffing and making all sorts of sound effects, clearly to illustrate how hard she's working to tame my hair. Whatever.

After she washes it, she towel dries it and before she does the blowout, she snaps a picture of me with her phone. I can't quote what she said, but basically it was a 'before' pic. She finishes the blowout (though, not without more sound effects) and all said and done, she did a good job, even after all that complaining.

But I won't be back. Now, I didn't let them make me feel bad about my hair. I like my hair. It is thick and kinky, and that's okay, no relaxers needed. But what I do have an issue with is how unproffessional they are. I just don't understand. I've worked in many customer service jobs and I can't imagine making the types of comments to a customer like this woman made to me. I know she wasn't *trying* to be rude, but I just felt like....damn, don't y'all care anything about customer service??? Also, they advertise they they specialize in 'natural' and 'ethnic' styles on the door, yet they were obviously very reluctant to get to work on my hair. Well take that **** off the door, then. If you're just gonna complain the whole time, just say that you *can* style natural hair, but prefer not to. Put THAT on the door.

Also, the way they treat the hair, is just way too harsh in my opinion. I used to think it was okay because I only get blowouts twice a year, but after seeing how she burned my hair into submission, I feel even that is too much. They really don't seem to care about the health of hair too much (at least not my 'type') so much as the end result. There were these young girls (under 10) in the chairs next to me. They were relaxed and getting the blowout, and they were visibly in *so* much pain and distress. I wanted to snatch them out of those chairs. Why does a 8 year old need a dominican blowout?? but that's a whole 'nother thread.

So sorry, mami!

I personally woud not let them take my photo....you might in up on the label of some dominican relaxer like those dr. miracle ads. :/

Most of these places sound low end, so they must be tinkering with the hair appliances to get that kind of heat :(

Well, I'm glad you are satisfied with the final results, and I agree with you that you shouldn't go back for them to torture your hair again.

Pictures please? I would love to see your mane. It sounds heavenly

Anyway, I would have adiosed once she said it was terrible.

I hate when any stylist acts like it's ruining their day to do their job: hair. I plan on getting a blowout myself this week and I'm hoping for a good experience. They're pro-natural and actually encourage me to go natural when I go. I just dread hearing "You need trim." Even though I do.

Back