YES, I am cured! I no longer suffer from hand in hair syndrome!

CurlsBazillion

I no long suffer from hand in hair syndrome!!:grin: I can leave my hair in a ps the entire time between washes and put it right back in a ps. It took two years of this journey to "get over" my hair. And who knew that was the missing key to retaining for me?:lol: BSL Dec2012 here I come!

How long did it take you to stop playing in your hair?

I am a complete hands in hair addict. If I can't touch my hair I feel anxious. It's really bad if I have braids because ill find a reason to rebraid daily. How did you stop?

LOL But you haven't told us HOW you did it!
NappyNelle
whenever I got the urge to take out my ps I would do something else like redo my nails, scalp massage until my arms are tired, or do my daughter's hair. The urges start to reduce over time when I replaced it with another action so its to the point now I get the urge to do my hair maybe once a week.
ETA oh yeah I avoid hair videos on youtube like the plague. It's like being on a diet and then watching the food network, even if your not hungry you start thinking you are.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have HIH when Im wearing a PS (like twists which are my staple) I twirl the ends which results in breakage.

Now if I have a puff or twistout, if I play in my hair its gonna make it frizz and lose its shape, so I end up leaving it alone. Took me 1 year to figure this out and Ive finally been seeing some retention now.... after setting myself back all of last year.:ohwell:

I wish I had that problem :cry:

Someone give us some tips and tricks on how to keep my hands AWAY :nono:

So some HIH cases are habitual and some are compulsive. Which one of you do this without thinking? I ask because for me it was very much a habit. I'd think about my hair and wanna just do something ANYTHING to touch my hair. Oh and I just had a thought...can you say you have a low manipulation regimen with HIH?

Last edited:
I wish I could stop. I only am able to ignore my hair when it is in a PS. When loose, I can't stop squeezing my puff or twirling my twistout. Its just so soft and touchable. I've been rubbing my head all day the entire week in front of my classmates. They must think I'm really into myself lol.

The urge just went away. The NEWNESS of the natural curls gave me hand in hair syndrome. Once the newness was gone, the syndrome was gone. It didn't take long either.

Back