Yep, it happened to me.....

BklynHeart

Well, In June my hairdresser cut my hair into some choppy layers, like the girl with the long jet black hair in the Affirm ad. Since then, my hair has grown to the middle of my back. I couldn't afford to pay $40 for a trim, so I went to her assistant who has been with her for 9 years and decided to strike out on her own. Being that they worked so closely together and she's known me for years, I told her I wanted a trim. She only charges $15 and uses the same products. Well, she starts cutting, then when she's halfway through the back of my hair she tells me that she's cutting most of it then she's going to put layers in. I told her no there's already some long layers at the end. She's telling me they grew out. I told her they didn't. I turned around and there's MORE THAN 2 1/2 INCHES MISSING!!! I was in shock. I just gave her this look and she starts telling me it looks better with the back cut straight across. I just said "so you had to cut all that off to make it even?". I told her it was cut like that with the bottom rounded a little so the hair flows better. I just see a pile of hair on the floor. I let her wash and set me, then she styled it. She told me not to pay her, she knows I'm unhappy and she believes its bad karma to take money from someone if they're unhappy with her service. I stuck my hair in a ponytail, put my hat on and left.So, I'm sitting here today with a bun/ponytail. Right now I'm still in shock.

BklynHeart said:
Well, In June my hairdresser cut my hair into some choppy layers, like the girl with the long jet black hair in the Affirm ad. Since then, my hair has grown to the middle of my back. I couldn't afford to pay $40 for a trim, so I went to her assistant who has been with her for 9 years and decided to strike out on her own. Being that they worked so closely together and she's known me for years, I told her I wanted a trim. She only charges $15 and uses the same products. Well, she starts cutting, then when she's halfway through the back of my hair she tells me that she's cutting most of it then she's going to put layers in. I told her no there's already some long layers at the end. She's telling me they grew out. I told her they didn't. I turned around and there's MORE THAN 2 1/2 INCHES MISSING!!! I was in shock. I just gave her this look and she starts telling me it looks better with the back cut straight across. I just said "so you had to cut all that off to make it even?". I told her it was cut like that with the bottom rounded a little so the hair flows better. I just see a pile of hair on the floor. I let her wash and set me, then she styled it. She told me not to pay her, she knows I'm unhappy and she believes its bad karma to take money from someone if they're unhappy with her service. I stuck my hair in a ponytail, put my hat on and left.So, I'm sitting here today with a bun/ponytail. Right now I'm still in shock.

I am sooooooooo sorry this happened to you. ((())) I only let my sister cut my hair. I had it with SHS! They deserve a good :spank:! Why do they think they KNOW what looks best with YOUR hair?!!???! And not even have the guts to ask you first? What the.....

OMG!!:eek:

That's the problem with having a stylist "trim" your hair... when they're doing the back you really have NO IDEA how much they're cutting off... until it's TOO LATE!!!:( :( :mad: :mad:

So sorry this happened to you!!! :cry3:

I have a hard and fast rule that if anyone other than my mother is using scissors in my hair they face me TOWARDS the mirror so I can see exactly what they are doing and how much they are cutting. If they have a problem with this then I don't get a trim.

This is probably why its been almost 2 years since anyone other than me and my mom have trimmed my hair. I'm fed up with stylists who think trim=cut.

Whoa...first I couldn't over the $40 trim. What a rip off. Then I read the rest of the story and this just pisses me off. I swear only my mother or myself will ever trim my hair. Those stylist just do whatever they want to your hair. :mad: I'm glad she didn't ask for any money.

BklynHeart,

Do you get the idea that she's been itching to cut you for years, or was it an honest mistake? She seemed very sorry.

Does your hair grow fast? Do you like the new cut even a little bit? Maybe it's not SO bad?

I'm sorry to hear about this. :( This is the exact reason why I've decided to start trimming my own hair.

Sorry that she cut your hair. :mad: I normally let my stylist trim my ends every 3-4 mos when I go for a touchup. She seemed to be jealous of how long my hair has gotten and she first told me it was not going to grow that long. She used to let me see how much she was trimming but the last time she did not want me to see. :( I made up my mind that she will not be doing my trims anymore. I will just give myself a light dusting as needed.

brickhouse said:
Sorry that she cut your hair. :mad: I normally let my stylist trim my ends every 3-4 mos when I go for a touchup. She seemed to be jealous of how long my hair has gotten and she first told me it was not going to grow that long. She used to let me see how much she was trimming but the last time she did not want me to see. :( I made up my mind that she will not be doing my trims anymore. I will just give myself a light dusting as needed.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!??!!

brickhouse said:
She used to let me see how much she was trimming but the last time she did not want me to see. :(

Yeah, sometimes I feel like my stylist is trying to be shady too.... He'll trim the back and let the hair drop into his hand (and just throw it away) instead of on the floor so I won't see what he did and give him hell!!! :look: :lol:

One time he let it fall to the floor and I turned around and looked at the hair on the floor then looked up at him like "WTF"??!! :rofl:

I'm laughing now but I was pi*sed then!!!:mad:

Thanks ladies!!! I called her today to let her know how I felt. I told her "we need to clear some things up. I specifically told you over the phone when I made the appointment and when I sat in your chair that I needed a trim. I know I had different lengths in my hair because it was a specific style. If you had questions you should of asked me instead of hacking it off! Now I have this straight-across cut at the ends which doesn't do anything for the the layers you called yourself putting in the front". She apologized, then said "Oh, it would of helped if you brought a picture of the style you had it cut in". I told her not really, since that original cut was done in June! Plus, AGAIN, I just wanted you to trim the ends! I've been in a daze today. We had "beauty day" at work with a Mary Kay consultant and I looked like hell! everyone kept looking at me. My eyes looked like shopping bags from all the crying I've been doing.:crying3: Lesson learned: I should of coughed up the $40 dollars!

Last edited:
36.gif

(((hug))) I'm so sorry this happened to you!:( I have no idea what gets into the heads of some of these SHSs, except, perhaps, green-eyed envy. Did she have short hair herself? My experience is that those who have long hair don't confuse cut = trim but those who have short hair tend to cut more hair than necessary. :ohwell: At least she had the decency not to charge you but still.... I'm wishing you a speedy growth rate!

Thanks Kaddy, Ms Jennifer, love04!! Nyambura, she has NO hair on her head, but that's by choice. She's always kept her hair short. I just didn't understand her just deciding to chopping it off because she didn't understand the hair style I had.:confused: And the thing is BEFORE she started cutting I told her "a trim" and she's like "yes, I know how you are!". And I came out with this stupid cut!

BklynHeart said:
Thanks Kaddy, Ms Jennifer, love04!! Nyambura, she has NO hair on her head, but that's by choice. She's always kept her hair short. I just didn't understand her just deciding to chopping it off because she didn't understand the hair style I had.:confused: And the thing is BEFORE she started cutting I told her "a trim" and she's like "yes, I know how you are!". And I came out with this stupid cut!

*SMH* :nono: She must be related to the last stylist who gave me a touchup (her hair was short NOT by choice). I showed her a half-inch with my fingers and she wound up cutting off 2" anyway. Perhaps Scissor Happiness is an addiction or a disease-of-perception type deal where the brain acknowledges one thing but they have no control over their twitchy-fingers, so what looks like a trim to them is a cut in the normal world.:p That woman has no excuse for what she did to you. [sigh] I wish you a quick recovery and that your hair will be even longer than it was before this mishap in no time.

Thanks hon!! I also think these stylists get mad when they see that they aren't the ones that contributed to your hair growth, so they chop it off thinking you'll start going to them on a regular. NOT!! Like I said before, I will pay the $40 for my regular trims! no more short-cuts! (No pun intended!).

Back