Y'all weren't lying about aloe vera juice!

tarheelgurl

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those that mentioned aloe vera juice and its help with tangling! I have had issues with tangling after washing for YEARS and have tried everything to save my poor head.

So, after reading a few comments about aloe vera juice I said wth Imma try it because I have tried everything else.

Well, let me tell ya...I went to Wal-mart and bought the 1 gallon sized jug of aloe vera juice like someone here mentioned. I came home and looked at it like wth do I do now?:spinning: So, I poured some into a spray bottle and mixed it with Nexxus Humectress and sprayed my hair. My hair felt better right away but I didn't notice any real difference right away. So, 2 days later I sprayed again before I washed.

Thats when I notice the difference!! WOW!! There were no tangles to fall out! Nothing! Not a stitch! The next week I went to the beauty shop after 2 days of spraying...and even they noticed the difference! :yep:

Thank you so much!!! :grin:

Now...help me get that salon polished look at home!:yep:

This is something that i always have in stock. i drink it regularly and mix it in my hair as needed. It's too much protein to use on my hair too often, but it has many other uses for me.

Hi ladies, how long does AVJ lasts? I've had one (GNC brand) in the refrigerator for about 4 months now. It doesn't look or smell funny. Can I still use it or should I pitch it?

TIA

I've used Aloe since the beginning of my hair journey I guess that's why I've never really had major detangling issues:ohwell:

I think it does go bad. Maybe after 2 months in the fridge?

It expires quickly... In about 2 weeks. However, you can stock up by freezing it in ice cube trays & storing the cubes in a freezer bag. The cubes allow you to thaw out a little at a time.

Be sure to wash your ice cube trays well before you use them again for ice, though. Aloe Vera is a natural laxative :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

I still haven't figured out how to use avj. I had been using it in a spray bottle (1/2 avj + 1/2 water) and it makes my hair hard.

I still haven't figured out how to use avj. I had been using it in a spray bottle (1/2 avj + 1/2 water) and it makes my hair hard.

Same for me! Bought a small jug and mixed it first with distilled water. Hard feeling hair. Then I did it alone. Hard hair. I added grapeseed oil. Hard and greasy hair. So I add a tiny bit to my conditioners and stuff to get rid of it. But I guess it's gone bad. Darn

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I love aloe! Glad to hear it's working for you! I just went ahead and bought a few plants. I love to watch them grow. Then I feel guilty about snipping their leaves...

This is something that i always have in stock. i drink it regularly and mix it in my hair as needed. It's too much protein to use on my hair too often, but it has many other uses for me.

Aloe have protein in it? That is why my hair always come out hard.

Hi ladies, how long does AVJ lasts? I've had one (GNC brand) in the refrigerator for about 4 months now. It doesn't look or smell funny. Can I still use it or should I pitch it?

TIA

I think it does go bad. Maybe after 2 months in the fridge?

It expires quickly... In about 2 weeks. However, you can stock up by freezing it in ice cube trays & storing the cubes in a freezer bag. The cubes allow you to thaw out a little at a time.

Be sure to wash your ice cube trays well before you use them again for ice, though. Aloe Vera is a natural laxative :lol:

qtsuga, tarheelgurl, SmileyNY
I bought Lily of the Desert preservative free Aloe Vera Juice and the directions says to refrigerate after opening. It has an expiration date of 09/2013. So, I don't think it expires quickly unless you open it and don't refrigerate it afterwards.

On the container mine states it is certified organic and a dietary supplement.

HTH

qtsuga, tarheelgurl, SmileyNY
I bought Lily of the Desert preservative free Aloe Vera Juice and the directions says to refrigerate after opening. It has an expiration date of 09/2013. So, I don't think it expires quickly unless you open it and don't refrigerate it afterwards.

On the container mine states it is certified organic and a dietary supplement.

HTH

Ok cool. Good to know. Mine had a far out expirations date as well. My 1st time buying it a worker at Whole Foods told me that it only lasts that long unopened & is no longer fresh a couple weeks after opening... Kinda like canned goods. I was bummed b/c the large container was a much better deal. I ended up getting the small one... But I went back to get the large one when I came up with the idea to freeze it. That was nearly 4 months ago & I still have cubes in the freezer :lol:

Maybe the key word was "fresh". Maybe it doesn't completely spoil... But it isn't fresh after a couple weeks. I'm not sure.

Ok cool. Good to know. Mine had a far out expirations date as well. My 1st time buying it a worker at Whole Foods told me that it only lasts that long unopened & is no longer fresh a couple weeks after opening... Kinda like canned goods. I was bummed b/c the large container was a much better deal. I ended up getting the small one... But I went back to get the large one when I came up with the idea to freeze it. That was nearly 4 months ago & I still have cubes in the freezer :lol:

Maybe the key word was "fresh". Maybe it doesn't completely spoil... But it isn't fresh after a couple weeks. I'm not sure

Pompous Blue & SmileyNY - SmileyNY you are correct. The expiration date is applicable to unopened containers just like canned goods. Once opened the shelf life is about two weeks refrigerated, and can be less if using a preservative free solution.
It will begn to yellow and turnbrownish when going bad. It's best to add Vitamin C powder to the mixture (your own or the preservative free store brand) to help it last longer, since it's a natural preservative. You can add lemon juice because of the Vit C in it, but it may dry your hair.

Your ice cube tray freezing technique is perfect for saving it and using only what you need, and extending the shelf life. :yep:

Last edited:

Maybe the key word was "fresh". Maybe it doesn't completely spoil... But it isn't fresh after a couple weeks. I'm not sure.

SmileyNY: remember, you're not drinking this stuff. the juice is sold for internal consumption, we just happen to be using it on our hair. of course you don't want to be using something on your hair that is spoilt but the level of freshness for hair application aren't the same as for drinking. if it's refrigerated it lasts a long time. much longer than a couple of weeks. in fact unrefrigerated it can last 8-10wks (unscientific, just going by my own experience).

this is what Lotion Crafters has to say about the version they sell:
Aloe Vera Juice is the juice extracted from the pulp of the aloe barbadensis plant. It has been used topically since ancient times for its skin soothing properties. It can be used in creams, lotions and topical sprays. This is not a concentrated product or a gel. This is a water-like liquid. Refrigeration not required, but recommended.

this is what EssentialWholesale says:
.... Even though our aloe juice is preserved with natural preservatives, Aloe vera is quite fragile and will readily grow bacteria. When using aloe vera juice in a formulation, you will need to properly preserve your formulation using an anti microbial agent. Once open, use within 6 months.

just thought i would update the thread w/ the bolded from essentialwholesale since there was a lot of mis-information and random speculation in here (including my earlier post). i'm satisfied w/ EW's direction tho since they sell this stuff by the gallon and would be called out bad if they were advising people incorrectly.

Last edited:

TIA

There should be an expiration date. I had my trader joe juice for over a year, exp either later this year or early next year.

ETA: I gotta research AVJ longevity. Cause I've had mine for a while - refridgerated. Seems to be fine. Or maybe I have one with preservatives.

Last edited:
So other than taste and possibly smell, how can you tell it has gone bad? At walmart, the juice in the gallon jug is already a yellow/brown color.

Maybe it's your water you may have hard water and that why yor hair turns out hard. Try distilled waters avj or just avj alone Hth
I use av for my hair and drink it daily for cleansing and clear glowing skin.
The gel is just too messy for me

Last edited:
I haven't mixed it with water yet and I mix about 30% conditioner and 70% juice. I am not familiar with it enough to know why it makes hair hard. I know when I mix water with anything my hair becomes hard so I use water to slick my hair down. I don't know. Maybe some of the LHCF hair chemists will chime in.

@Pompous Blue & @SmileyNY - SmileyNY you are correct. The expiration date is applicable to unopened containers just like canned goods. Once opened the shelf life is about two weeks refrigerated, and can be less if using a preservative free solution.
It will begn to yellow and turnbrownish when going bad. It's best to add Vitamin C powder to the mixture (your own or the preservative free store brand) to help it last longer, since it's a natural preservative. You can add lemon juice because of the Vit C in it, but it may dry your hair.

Your ice cube tray freezing technique is perfect for saving it and using only what you need, and extending the shelf life. :yep:
Mine has " Citric acid (pH stabilizer)" added to it. It lasts a LOT longer than two weeks after it's opened.

I buy a gallon at a time and ingest it and apply it to my hair.

Pompous Blue & SmileyNY - SmileyNY you are correct. The expiration date is applicable to unopened containers just like canned goods. Once opened the shelf life is about two weeks refrigerated, and can be less if using a preservative free solution.

So I Bought My Aloe Vera Gel About 10 Months Ago And Have Been Using It Off And On In A Spritz. I Keep It In The Refrigerator & The Expiration Date Is For 4/12. Does That Two Week Eime Frame Apply For The Gel As Well?

Back